EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:13 pm
i was posting to edgar.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:16 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Since life is getting better for humanity all the time, I guess the magic return is a long way off.

How do you figure that things are getting better? Do you read the news? Smile

I would not attempt to answer for Eorl, however I would also postulate things are in fact getting consistently better for humans.
Why? Technology. Technology advances, and as it does our lives become easier, our lives become longer, our knowledge in general becomes more robust.
Your seeming contention that the state of affairs in regards to war/politics is worse now than times before now rings hollow, without any data to back it.
It seems to me that there are always wars going on, and the only measurable difference between now and any other given time is media coverage. US and US puppets at war brings US media frenzy, which brings hype to the public (case in point:this thread)
Nothing new or exciting.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:27 pm
Doktor S,
I realize what you are saying about technology. However, that same technology can eliminate many more people in war than anything in the past.

I did not say things were getting worse. I said they didn't appear to be getting better. By your own post you acknowledge that things the only measurable difference between now and the past is media coverage. Wouldn't that indicate that things are not necessarily better?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:58 pm
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

So ridiculous.

You are entitled to your opinion. That does not make your opinion right. It is your opinion that it is ridiculous. That does not make it ridiculous.

Ridiculouser still.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:04 pm
Even though Ridiculouser is not even a word, I understand what you mean. I don't agree with you and my answer still stands. As ridiculouser as you may find it to be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:10 pm
It's really not a question of do you agree with me or not. I find the proposition on a par with movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's really not a question of do you agree with me or not. I find the proposition on a par with movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still.

You are right. It is not a matter of whether I agree with you. Your premise was that you do not agree with me. Sorry for my silly error. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:22 pm
I am. I will pray for divine intervention.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:49 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Since life is getting better for humanity all the time, I guess the magic return is a long way off.

How do you figure that things are getting better? Do you read the news? Smile

I would not attempt to answer for Eorl, however I would also postulate things are in fact getting consistently better for humans.
Why? Technology. Technology advances, and as it does our lives become easier, our lives become longer, our knowledge in general becomes more robust.
Your seeming contention that the state of affairs in regards to war/politics is worse now than times before now rings hollow, without any data to back it.
It seems to me that there are always wars going on, and the only measurable difference between now and any other given time is media coverage. US and US puppets at war brings US media frenzy, which brings hype to the public (case in point:this thread)
Nothing new or exciting.
Things do seem to be getting better for many.

Is that really true worldwide?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 11:22 pm
I believe so.

I recently copied some WHO figures on infant and child death rates (70's to now) to demonstrate the point. Sure parts of the world are worse, but most are better.

...and then there's dentistry.

Bowling for Columbine anyone? The world seems to going to hell in a hand-basket....if you let the TV tell you so.

Maybe it's just a "glass-half-full" situation.
0 Replies