Floyd Landis in trouble.

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:11 am
These are other "Americans" found guilty by those wicked Frenchmen. Listen to your posts, sour grapes all the way.
- detano inipo

I don't think it's a case of sour grapes, no one is suggesting that there was tampering, only that it may be the case. However, you are correct in pointing out that many other riders from different countries have tested dirty.

And if the French wanted to set-up an American, I think Armstrong (being the ass he was/is) would be a much more preferable target than the seemingly well-liked Landis.

But alas, as InfraBlue said, it's all just speculation. But if Landis does end up admitting his guilt I will be very disappointed and will lose all respect for him. It's bad enough to cheat, but to be apart of tarnishing the sport I love is unforgivable.

Again, professional cycling is a highly tested sport, much more than baseball or ("America") football. It will take more than a few cheats to shake my love of it.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
The US has a long history of protecting its top olympic athletes, guilty or not.
Carl Lewis's positive test covered up

April 18 2003
The latest documents show Lewis tested positive for the banned stimulants found in cold medications: pseudoephedrine, ephedrine and phenylpropanolamine.
The World Anti-Doping Agency's chairman, Dick Pound, dismissed the "no intent" defence. Mr Pound has seen copies of the documents and said that in some instances there was almost "automatic forgiveness" by the US officials.

Letters written by a US Olympic Committee executive, Baaron Pittenger, were sent advising some athletes of their positive drug-test results - and at the same time told them they were being cleared.
"It's got to be pretty embarrassing to the USOC," said Mr Pound, "to have their secretary-general writing in the letter, where he advises an athlete of a positive A sample, 'I have to send you this, but we already decided this was inadvertent.' That whole process turned into a joke."
Dr Exum, the former USOC
director for drug control from 1991 to 2000, released more than 30,000 pages of documents to Sports Illustrated. They confirm widespread suspicion of the USOC drug-testing system before it was moved to an independent body, the US Anti Doping Agency, after the Sydney Olympics.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.html
0 Replies

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
"The US has a long history of protecting its top Olympic athletes, guilty or not."
-detain inept

That's truly interesting. But tell me, what does that have to with Floyd Landis and/or the Tour de France?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:55 pm
Someone stated that the French were after the Americans. It was disproved.
The Americans are either clean and great athletes or they are dirty and protected. Sad but true.
0 Replies

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:08 pm
"Someone stated that the French were after the Americans. It was disproved."
-detano inipo

It was disproved? Perhaps, your standards of discrediting differ than my own. How exactly does a story about Carl Lewis, that is three years old, disprove that the French lab technicians may have schemed to falsely incriminate Landis?

"The Americans are either clean and great athletes or they are dirty and protected."
-detano inipo

LOL That could be said about any nation's athletes.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:10 pm
Are we seeing a trend?
0 Replies

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
Are we seeing a trend?
-Ragman_orig

Who can possibly know that? That question can be properly answered only after it is correctly identify how many professional athletes are using performance enhancing drugs. Until that time, it's pure speculation.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 04:52 pm
It was disproved? Perhaps, your standards of discrediting differ than my own.
answer:
There is a post with a long list of riders from many countries that were banned. You must have overlooked it.
The Americans are either clean and great athletes or they are dirty and protected."
-detano inipo
LOL That could be said about any nation's athletes.
answer:
Almost all nations punish their guilty athletes. Surely you must have heard of it.
When the Canadian 100 meter man was nailed to the wall in Canada, Carl Lewis was given the gold medal. He should have been hanging on the same wall.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 05:19 pm
maybe the testers aren't used to that much testoterone in a tour winner, after all unlike the previous few years winner, this guy's got both nuts
0 Replies

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
There is a post with a long list of riders from many countries that were banned. You must have overlooked it.
-detano inipo

No, I read it. However, that in no way disproves that Landis mat have been a victim of sabotage.

Almost all nations punish their guilty athletes.
- detano inipo

True, and among them is the United States.

When the Canadian 100 meter man was nailed to the wall in Canada, Carl Lewis was given the gold medal. He should have been hanging on the same wall.
-detano inipo

That may be true, but what does Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis and the '88 Olympics have to do with Floyd Landis and the 2006 TDF?

Perhaps, you mentioned it earlier: sour grapes, you said, right?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:01 pm
quote:
That may be true, but what does Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis and the '88 Olympics have to do with Floyd Landis and the 2006 TDF?
They are an example how some athletes get punished and others are protected. Lewis has a suitcase full of gold medals and has never been officially declared a cheater. Most sports experts know it and have put 'asterisks' after his records and medals.
Landis is guilty of something and immediately his country attacks the lab. Why have a lab that can only ban others and not Americans?
0 Replies

Anonymous Net Surfer

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
They are an example how some athletes get punished and others are protected. Lewis has a suitcase full of gold medals and has never been officially declared a cheater. Most sports experts know it and have put 'asterisks' after his records and medals.
-detano inipo

Ah huh, but Lewis has nothing at all to do with Landis. However, your obvious prejudice against "American" athletes seems to be clouding your ability to reason in this case.

Landis is guilty of something and immediately his country attacks the lab.
- detano inipo

Well the process isn't over, is it? However, you seem sure of his guilt- interesting. Furthermore, "his country" isn't attacking the lab, some people are speculating as to whether or not there was foul play.

Here's a simple and straightforward question: would it have been impossible for the lab technicians in question to sabotage Landis' urine sample?

Why have a lab that can only ban others and not Americans?
--detano inipo

I dunno, why?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 06:18 pm
quote:
However, your obvious prejudice against "American" athletes seems to be clouding your ability to reason in this case.
Not so at all. I am against all athletes who cheat. From Canadian to European to American. Why can't you see that?
It would never occurr to me to defend a cheater because he is a Canadian.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:46 am
Landis comes clean: He dopes and he claims everyone else does too. Apparently that drug testing is as accurate as they say because all those claims of false positives by star athletes never seem to come through.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:31 pm
What a spineless weasel. He blew up to 2mil of his money and contributions to his cause against the doping charge only to change his mind about having lied through his teeth.

In regard to his accusations against Lance Armstrong, he's not the only one to accuse him of cheating, but throughout his entire career Armstrong's never tested positive, and some of the retroactive tests, and urine sample analyses proved to be inconclusive. Despite this, there is still a doubt in my mind about Armstrong.
0 Replies