Wikipedia

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:10 am
Has anyoe tried to correct misinformation on that site? Mad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
Wikipedia articles are sorta watched-over/critiqued/edited/corrected by a small staff and much moreso by a community of members. Used be a more open - and consequently, perhaps, abuse-prone - process, but after a few mainstream-media headline embarrassments, things there have tightened up some. Just some, however; along with nuggets of information and widom, there's a buncha dross, dreck, and not a little blatant bias. As has been mentioned here a few times, Wikipedia's a good website for a quick check or for the start of more serious investigation, but it should not be regarded as a uniformly accurate, objective, authoritative primary reference resource. Caveat lector.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
A few posts are written by scholars, and then there are the others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:04 am
Miller wrote:
Has anyoe tried to correct misinformation on that site?

Yup. I reported it when an A2K member edited a definition there (reported it to Wiki, and referred to it on the thread)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1436356#1436356

They corrected and locked the page for a short while.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1436356#1436356
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:18 pm
A few months ago Edge magazine published an article by Jaron Lanier lambasting "online collectivity" of the kind that Wikipedia, he claims, is a prime example. Most of the article is about the philosophical implications of "the hive mentality" that the internet supposedly perpetuates, but it begins with an interesting anecdote about the reliability of Wikipedia when it comes to his own entry. Here's the beginning of the piece:

Quote:
My Wikipedia entry identifies me (at least this week) as a film director. It is true I made one experimental short film about a decade and a half ago. The concept was awful: I tried to imagine what Maya Deren would have done with morphing. It was shown once at a film festival and was never distributed and I would be most comfortable if no one ever sees it again.

In the real world it is easy to not direct films. I have attempted to retire from directing films in the alternative universe that is the Wikipedia a number of times, but somebody always overrules me. Every time my Wikipedia entry is corrected, within a day I'm turned into a film director again. I can think of no more suitable punishment than making these determined Wikipedia goblins actually watch my one small old movie.

Full source here
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 01:42 pm
"Hive Mind" is good - "We are the Internet. Submit and be assimilated, or you will be destroyed. Resistance is futile."
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:01 am
Wikipedia
I agree with nimh and Timber. Don't turn to Wikipedia for really reliable, authoritative, this-is-the-final-word information. Use it as a springboard, but verify in other sources.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
Wikipedia
BTW - I'm speaking here as a former reference librarian.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 05:26 pm
Re: Wikipedia
Tomkitten wrote:
BTW - I'm speaking here as a former reference librarian.

Good advice.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 05:06 pm
I believe so....
I believe so, changes need to be made, thats for sure.....
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 05:06 pm
I believe so....
I believe so, changes need to be made, that's for sure.....
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
I believe so....
I believe so, changes need to be made, that's for sure.....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
You can say that again! Laughing
0 Replies