Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,046 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
I hope not
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
Looks like their moderators aren't doing their jobs.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:53 am
What's all this about? Wikipedia seems fine to me. Are some zealots displeased about some Wikipedia articles?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:18 pm
There's too much fighting about the editing process on Wikipedia.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:37 pm
I'm in the process of setting up "Gusipedia". It will be a site where one can find answers to anything. The REAL answers, not controversial crap like on Wikipedia.

Dr. Chai will be assisting me
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:44 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up "Gusipedia". It will be a site where one can find answers to anything. The REAL answers, not controversial crap like on Wikipedia.

Dr. Chai will be assisting me

I will edit.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:45 pm
Genius requires no editing.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:45 pm
Or is that genus?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:40 pm
ahem...I will be acting as a Consultant.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:46 pm
Does Gusipedia have a future?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:58 pm
Don't be ridiculous.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:04 pm
contrex wrote:
What's all this about? Wikipedia seems fine to me. Are some zealots displeased about some Wikipedia articles?

No, the zealots are happy because they're writing the Wikipedia enties.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
There are a few excellent posts, but most appear to be written by high school kids.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:31 pm
Related new thread should be good for a laugh (and I'm so happy my accompanying poll is on the A2K home now! Laughing ):

Colbert, Wikipedia, elephants' penises and the Uncyclopedia

Mind you, in general I think Wikipedia is a laudable experiment; has very useful entries on most subjects (though things obviously get more iffy on more controversial and political stuff*); is maintained by a great number of idealists who put in a lot of work; and pioneers a valuable non-profit, non-corporate, collaborative mode of grassroots production.

Obviously, entries stand or fall on the quality of the editors on a subject at hand. And the shared knowledge of the community will probably never equal the hyperscrutinous professionalism of a venerable proper encyclopedia. I would never take a Wikipedia entry as the final word on anything. But I often use it to quickly look some common-knowledge detail up that has passed me by or slipped my mind, just because it's simpler than Googling, and I also use it as a starting point when reading up on a specific subject, going on to more in-depth stuff from there if it rouses my interest enough.

*Actually, it's not so much the hyper-controversial entries that pose a danger on Wikipedia; the collective scrutiny of those is so intense that any boo-boo is either quickly removed or results in an endless to-and-fro that will have the item flagged as contested (so you're warned in advance). The problem I've come across on Wikipedia is more re entries on lesser known controversies that only attract niche interest groups, since biased editing there can survive uncontested much longer than on much-scrutinised universal hot-button issues.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:33 pm
Do the links work?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:44 pm
Miller wrote:
Do the links work?

What links? The ones in my Colbert, Wikipedia etc thread? They should, I just posted it...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:55 pm
nimh wrote:
Miller wrote:
Do the links work?

What links? The ones in my Colbert, Wikipedia etc thread? They should, I just posted it...

No I mean the links posted on Wikipedia.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
Generally, the external links in Wikipedia are live, and frequently they'll take you to, or at least get you pointed toward, primary source material. Personally, I often find the links of more value than the Wiki articles themselves.

Oh, and since I hardly ever get to say this, I think its importamt to mention that I'm in completew agreement with nimh on this one Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
I am willing to offer advise of my areas of exertise which, incidentally, covers just about everything except cooking recipes.
0 Replies