Old vs. New Testament?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:53 am
NickFun wrote:
So the things about not killing and stealing are mostly suggestions. I see.

Well, if you really want to get technical, there is no commandment against killing per se. The literal translation of the Hebrew in the original text was "Thou shalt not murder". Killing in conquest or self defense or as just retribution for certain sins was allowed. The New Testament teachings added a stronger sense of ethics and justice to any process of killing for whatever reason.

Likewise, in the ancient Hebrew culture, stealing of property (of another Hebrew) is expressly forbidden, but this particular commandment some theologians interpret as 'do not kidnap'. According to other O.T. passages in which Hebrew tribes did abduct women for the purpose of making them into Hebrew wives, that particular application was obviously loosely applied.

New Testament teachings, however, extended broader interpretations of justice, fairness, equity, and principles of treating your neighbor decently to all applications of the ancient Law.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
It just proves that the Bible is opn to interpretation. When Jesus turned water into wine could be interpreted as getting drunk is moraally ok.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
NickFun wrote:
It just proves that the Bible is opn to interpretation. When Jesus turned water into wine could be interpreted as getting drunk is moraally ok.

I doubt it. How would you put your slant on the words in 1 Timothy 5:23?  "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:49 am
I doubt it too. The theologians who use painstaking methods including having a very good grasp of ancient language and also looking at how language was used in different settings and contexts have developed informed theories of interpretation. The casual reader may also make his/her own interpretation of what the text says, but it is unlikely to be an informed one.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
They seldom are. :wink:
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 06:15 pm
Here is something:
War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:53 am
EpiNirvana wrote:
Here is something:
War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Well the Exodus line was from a specific setting. There are numerous parallel passages (different accounts of the same event) interspersed throughout the text written at that time, but generally the accounts agree that the Lord had held back the waters of the sea to let the people of Israel through and then released them to drown Pharoah's chariots. Moses, witnessing the power of the Lord, sang a psalm of praise and thanksgiving to the Lord. In the NIV verion, the translation of Exodus 5:1-5 goes:

". . . .I will sing to the Lord for he is highly exalted.
The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song,
he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
my father's God, and I will exalt him.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name."

The passage in Romans however was a 'very truly yours' penned by Paul to the Christian congregation at Rome, a congregation he had not personally founded and where he had never been. It was similar to th ending of many of the letters he sent to various Christian congregations in Asia Minor or what is now Europe. As the reception for Paul was not always hospitable everywhere he went, this passage might have been a partially personal prayer expressing hope that he would not be imprisoned or stoned when he got there. Smile
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:58 am
Intrepid wrote:
NickFun wrote:

I doubt it. How would you put your slant on the words in 1 Timothy 5:23?  "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

I've know Christians to interpret this to mean grape juice. They abhor the idea that alcohol passed between Jesus' lips.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:59 am
xingu wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
NickFun wrote:

I've know Christians to interpret this to mean grape juice. They abhor the idea that alcohol passed between Jesus' lips.

But Christians have feet of clay like everybody else. They don't agree on everything and don't interpret everything the same way.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:00 am
Why bother turning water into grape juice? Orange juice would have been more nutritious.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:39 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I doubt it too. The theologians who use painstaking methods including having a very good grasp of ancient language and also looking at how language was used in different settings and contexts have developed informed theories of interpretation. The casual reader may also make his/her own interpretation of what the text says, but it is unlikely to be an informed one.

Yes, their eisegesis is obviously correct. Woe be to the reader that thinks he can extract meaning from what the words actually say.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:36 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Yes, their eisegesis is obviously correct. Woe be to the reader that thinks he can extract meaning from what the words actually say.

I think the word you intended is exegesis. I don't think every theologian's exegesis is 'obviously correct' in all cases since there are still a lot of pockets of differences of opinion in what that literal interpretation should be. Everybody can't be right. Nor will the unschooled reader always get it wrong because sometimes the actual ancient text has the same meaning as the same words mean in modern times.

(I never discourage folks from reading their Bible because I believe God can and does bless them through the words even if they don't always have perfect understanding of what the literal translation of the words is.)

What most theologians try to do is to get inside the heads of those who were writing the text. Unless we read it through the eyes of those who wrote it and within the context of their experience and perspective, we are more likely to err in what they intended to say.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
NickFun wrote:

Some have interpreted Jesus' conversion of water into wine at the Wedding Feast at Cana as a sign that he was the groom.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:04 pm
plainoldme wrote:
NickFun wrote:

Some have interpreted Jesus' conversion of water into wine at the Wedding Feast at Cana as a sign that he was the groom.

Why would Jesus have to be 'called' (invited) to His own wedding, as the Bible says He was?

Why would Mary tell Him, 'They' have no wine, if she meant , 'hey You have no wine' ?

Why would Jesus respond 'what has this to do with me' if it was His wedding?

Why would Mary have to tell the servants 'whatever He says to you, do it' if they were servants at His wedding?

It sounds like the 'interpretation' is more like a complete reversal of the meaning of nearly everything in the story.

Perhaps those who hold this 'interpretation' have themselves had a little too much wine.

---------------------------------------

Where is there ANY indication in John 2, or ANYWHERE ELSE in the Bible that Jesus EVER was married? It is a fragment of somebody's imagination, and not much else.

The one He supposedly married in all these fanciful interpretations usually is Mary Magdalene.

Yet at the cross, Jesus makes provision for the care of His mother, but not for His wife?

Quote:
John 19:25Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Gimme a break. No, gimme two.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:08 pm
I agree, That seams pretty farfetched and speculatory. I do think Jesus had a special relationship with Mary Magdalene, but never married her. I say this b/c of what i know of The Gosple According to Mary Magdalene.

Also no where in the bible does it say she was a prostitute, thats pure speculation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
I agree, That seams pretty farfetched and speculatory. I do think Jesus had a special relationship with Mary Magdalene, but never married her. I say this b/c of what i know of The Gosple According to Mary Magdalene.

Also no where in the bible does it say she was a prostitute, thats pure speculation.

The Bible gives no indication of a 'special relationship'.

Background on her from the Bible:

Quote:
Luke 8:2And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils,

No mention of prostitution. She is often confused with this woman, who is pointedly referred to as a 'sinner' :

Quote:
Luke 7:37And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,

38And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

39Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.

but who instead actually is

Quote:
John 11:2(It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:17 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I think the word you intended is exegesis. I don't think every theologian's exegesis is 'obviously correct' in all cases since there are still a lot of pockets of differences of opinion in what that literal interpretation should be. Everybody can't be right. Nor will the unschooled reader always get it wrong because sometimes the actual ancient text has the same meaning as the same words mean in modern times.

(I never discourage folks from reading their Bible because I believe God can and does bless them through the words even if they don't always have perfect understanding of what the literal translation of the words is.)

What most theologians try to do is to get inside the heads of those who were writing the text. Unless we read it through the eyes of those who wrote it and within the context of their experience and perspective, we are more likely to err in what they intended to say.
Doc is smarter than you think:
eisegesis

n : personal interpretation of a text (especially of the Bible) using your own ideas

Source
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
Indeed it is. And I learned something. Thank you.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 03:59 pm
I agree with real life, what i mean by special relationship is that Mary was very close to Jesus. But i seriously doubt that it was anything more than a student teacher relationship and friendship.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:05 pm
Keep your pants on. I never said that I believed the Wedding at Cana was Christ's but that I have heard others interpret it that way. The two main claims are that only the groom would have done something about the wine and that Jews did not allow young men to have much of a career, particularly a teaching career, until they were married.
0 Replies