littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:39 pm
yikes!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:52 pm
Do they require hats in Ecuador?

Man, I'm makin' soup tonight.

Our house is currently heated in various zones. This is not by our volition; it's just a function of the old heating system and the fact that the attic is the only place where there's insulation.

Hence, here on the second floor, it's comfortable (I'm wearing a light sweater and thin, knock-around kind of pants, and no long underwear). In the front part of the first floor, it's chilly and sneeze-inducing, but not completely unbearable. Hot cocoa will work to warm me up sufficiently. In the back part of the first floor (kitchen area), it's cold. Cocoa ain't gonna do it. Cooking helps, particularly oven cooking, but it's still flippin' cold. Gotta turn the heat up to even pretend to be comfortable. And then, just behind that, in the vestibule going to the back door, it's a meat locker. I figure we can leave ice cream back there.

I want to be warm. Hot ain't necessary, I can live without hot right now. I can even live with having to wear a sweater and a coat. I just - damn! - I don't want to have to keep opening up the freezer in order to get comfy!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
jespah wrote:
(I'm wearing a light sweater and thin, knock-around kind of pants, and no long underwear).

wait'll i ask next time, will ya? :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:57 pm
My problem is this. I can't get my house to warm up right. i should have gotten plastic on the windows 3 weeks ago. I set the thermostat at 68 and it heats to 66 at best.

My bedroom is pretty warm at night because I have me, the cat and the dog all shut in here producing heat. But, when I step outside the bedroom door in the morning (I drop the heat to 62 at night) it's like a slap in the face.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
oh k...I know the plastic thing all too well (tapping my foot at the landlord for not getting the windows replaced before Christmas---bah!) I did do the inside of three, left one not done--and last night I certainly paid big time for it.
I found however that my little hand towels roll up well and fit on the sills. My beach towel is also large enough to cover it.
Still--dang cold.

I have to close my bathroom door or all the heat from the kitchen (main heat source) goes upstairs and the rest of the place gets chilly. Like having an outhouse when I do actually have to go in there though...brrrr.

I also havent turned on the mattress heater yet....but, the cats have been pretty good--the man too on those occassions--when are men always the temperature of melted butter???

Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:02 pm
of melted butter, oh my....

I can't quite figure out how to make the plastic air-tight over the windows. I guess it just won't be pretty.

I have a little electric coil heater that I turn on in the bathroom 10 minutes before I shower that helps in there. But, it's really not so bad. I think I'd have to leave 1 or 2 windows uncovered.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
I was just outside, it's snowing in eastern Connecticut.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:15 pm
making it's way up the coast.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:30 pm
Duct Tape!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:36 pm
Roger - for the windows? The kits come with the double sided tape. But, the windows I have are old and extra 3D. I'm not sure where to run the tape for the maximum seal.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 06:49 am
ducktape has a tendency to, when removed, take some paint with it.
i know this from experience -- you'd think i'd've learnt my lesson after the first 10 times i did it Embarrassed
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:46 am
Hand towels. I think we have some extras. That's a good idea.

There are doors closed all over the house. We have about half the vents closed so that we aren't paying an arm and a leg for oil this month (yeah, I know that makes 'em cold, but no one's going into the dining room any time soon).

It's cold. We're probably going to break a record tomorrow. I hope the car starts. Argh.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:52 am
hehehe It is a bit chilly out there today eh folks? Very Happy

Come on summer time!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:53 am
Gloating! Now if we could just haul the "ashes" outta the state.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:37 pm
K, Ive got old windows too, and although yours might be a bit larger...It works better than nothing to use the moulding around the window than having no plastic at all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
you're right of course, Q.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:45 pm
lol..yeah right..feeling the chill just sucks anyway you look at it...but, going to sit by the other window with less of a chill...okay, yeah..Ill take that on a night like tonight I guess
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:43 am
Internal temps (all in Farenheit):

Computer room: 72
Bedroom: 78
Back part of stairs: 60
Kitchen: 50
Back vestibule: 32
Outside: -6

Had a frozen pipe (fortunately, it did not burst) in the downstairs bathroom this morning.

Reg, can I go to Ecuador with ya?
0 Replies

chaossoldiermsc

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:20 am
your are all lucky. i live in a tropical country called Singapore(try looking it up in a map) where it will rain( everyone takes their drying clothes in) then when everyone does, stop( clothes out ) continue( clothes in). the temperature is about 30 celcuis from 10 till 3 exept in december when it POURS
0 Replies