Stupid meteorology!

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
@Region Philbis,
i wrote:
currently there is a seventeen degree difference between downtown bahstin (76F) and NYC (93F)... Confused

up to twenty-two (74F vs 96F)... Shocked

(humidity is twice as high here as NYC ...)
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 01:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
It's scorchingly hot 92 deg F (33 C) here in Stanfordville NY now. Hunn's Lake across the lawn has all kinds of sail craft, kayaks and canoes (no motor boats). The water temp is very comfy and warm. I kayaked yesterday and when it cools off at 7pm I'll go out again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 01:38 pm
@ehBeth,
just saw how stinking hot Thursday is scheduled to be

farrrrrrk
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
wowee. We just had the hugest boomer and tornadic cell pass over us and we are without line power (we have a16Kw farm Generac).

The heat has broken. Tomorrow its to be in the mid 80's and then down to the late 70's on Thurs and back to 80 and 81 till mid next week.
We got about 3.5" rain in less than an hour. It was like one of those West Fla T-storms we got at the mines.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:08 pm
@farmerman,
I'm still dreaming of a Generac.........sighhhhhhhh
jespah

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 07:20 am
87 here already, and it's not even 930 AM yet.

Air quality is like breathing into a wet dishtowel.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Sturgis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:37 pm
@farmerman,
Fortunately, my gas stove is ancient and doesn't need an electric igniter. (is 60+ years too long for a stove to hang out in a place?)
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 04:45 pm
@Sturgis,
so you have a stove with a pilot lite?
I wish ours were like that. Our RV hs a pilot light for the oven but, in the summer it adds that to the kitchen so we keep it off and in the lock position
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 05:49 pm
We just had a wonderful experience. The sky suddenly clouded over, and crash! bang! boom!--an horrendous thunderstorm blew through. Now, of course, everything is soaked, the sun is shining as it goes down and it is horribly steamy. Ah . . . summer!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 06:00 pm
@Setanta,
it went from the low 90's to 81 in a couple of hours. tomorrow's high is scheduled to be 73 ... then the temps zoom back up again
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 07:39 pm
Another wave of thunderboomers came through, and one bolt of lightening struck a transformer down the street. The power flickered here, but the houses on the opposite of the street and to the south went completely black. Exciting times . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 08:47 pm
Ya'll are funny talking about how "hot" it is.

roger

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 10:46 pm
It rained tonight, and I seen it! I mean, the parking lot was wet, the ground was moist, and all that stuff. This is so exciting.

If it also rained up by Silverton and Durango, our tiny Animas River might even have water in it tomorrow.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 08:11 am
@roger,
I'm really relishing this beautiful weather. It's 70 right now and feels like paradise. I think it's the perfect temperature. ahhhh

on the stupid meteorology side, one of the lightning strikes last night was nearby and caused a power blip. the security light out back went to perma-on. This morning I climbed up on a ladder to reset it. I was my regular klutz self and one of my fingers brushed the metal on the bulb and I've got a not happy burn. That was f' íng hot after being on all night.

on the 'that is kind of interesting side' that security light has the same bulb it had when I bought the house 22 years ago. my neighbour was telling me last night that the new bulbs are supposed to last 90x as long as the old ones. so if I get a new bulb (which he was trying to talk me into) it will last til 2300 ? he bought his house the year after me and has replaced the entire fixture 2 or 3 times and needs new bulbs every 3 or 4 years. hmmm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 08:20 am
@roger,
doesn't it smell great after it rains!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:32 am
@chai2,

us northerners aren't used to this many days in a row of heat and humidity... it wears you out...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:02 am
@chai2,
I simply hate it.

Give me back my snow.
chai2

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:10 am
@ehBeth,
LOL, I mean thinking 90 degrees is hot.

Considering where I live....in July. Actually, here September is the hottest month.
chai2

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Oh believe me, I hate it too.

I avoid going out during daylight hours, unless it's to the pool.

This, or next summer may be my last one here.
0 Replies