Stupid meteorology!

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@hamburger,
Canadian Tyre? Can't understand a frickin' thing on the site??????

http://www.goodyear.ca/fc/tires/winter/mount.jpg

Quote:
En hiver, la distance de freinage peut être réduite grâce aux pneus d’hiver.
Dans des conditions hivernales extrêmes, comme la neige, la glace et la neige fondante, il n’y a rien de mieux que des pneus d’hiver pour l’adhérence et la maîtrise du véhicule.
Quand vous cherchez des pneus pour l’hiver, assurez-vous d’abord qu’ils affichent le symbole « montagne et flocon » sur leurs flancs.
Les pneus haut de gamme, tels les Ultra Grip Ice de Goodyear, sont conçus avec des composés particuliers qui procurent un rendement supérieur à basse température.
Installez toujours quatre pneus d’hiver. De cette façon, les roues avant et arrière offriront la même adhérence.

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:38 pm
http://tfmm.ca/stuff/imbecile_sm.jpg
Morris dancing? In Canada? You are ******* joking?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:16 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
For some reason, Morris dancing's quite popular here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:19 pm
@hamburger,
It made it to 19 Celsius down the lake here. Plenty warm enough for me.

Lotsa good stuff in the Canadian Tire flyer this weekend (read it on the porch while I was waiting for the trick or treaters).

This was a funny Hallowe'en. Both Set and Joe from next-door were outside wearing shorts! I didn't have to wear a coat like I usually do. Nice for the kids not to have to wear coats over their costumes. I could admire them in their full scary regalia.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:46 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
mr s :
in canada it's TIRE - as in CANADIAN TIRE !

http://blog.wired.com/cars/images/2007/06/26/tires.jpg

that's what a TIRE looks like .

don't tell me you haven't heard about it ?
hbg
margo

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 02:36 pm
@hamburger,
does that mean Canadians tire easily while wearing one of those black things. Bit confoozling???
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:00 am
@hamburger,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3457281)
mr s : in canada it's TIRE - as in CANADIAN TIRE !

Well, GET SOME ******* SLEEP! Maybe you won't be so goddam tetchy!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:46 pm
Hurricane Paloma is bearing down on Grand Cayman Island and is then expected to bisect Cuba.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2008/paloma_sat.jpg
JPB

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:52 pm
@JPB,
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200817_5day.gif
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:57 am
@JPB,
Paloma is now a strong Cat 4 headed for Cuba.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES11452008313N01PQv.jpg
jespah

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:48 am
@JPB,
Ooh that does not look good.
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:53 am
@jespah,
No, but it's expected that strong wind shear will begin to weaken Paloma as it approaches Cuba and this, in combination with the mountains on Cuba, will further weaken it before it approaches the Bahamas. It is not expected to restrengthen but may affect southern FL as a wind/rain event next week.

It will be a nasty storm for Cuba and there is no word yet from the locals on Cayman Brac which took a direct hit of a Cat 4 last night.
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:34 am
@JPB,
From Dr Masters at WU

Quote:
Landfall tonight in Cuba as a Category 3 hurricane with 115 mph winds is a good bet, which is the forecast of the latest 12Z SHIPS intensity model. The HWRF model foresees a Catgeory 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds at landfall in Cuba, while the GFDL calls for a Category 1 hurricane with 75 mph winds. Regardless of its intensity at landfall, Paloma will bring an exceptionally high storm surge of 17-23 feet to the coast of Cuba, since the hurricane has set a large volume of ocean in motion with its Category 4 winds. There is also a large area of shallow water just offshore the south coast of Cuba that will allow the storm surge to pile up to a great height. Cuba will take a terrific pounding from Paloma, and damage from the triple crunchings delivered by Hurricanes Gustav, Ike, and Paloma will make 2008 the worst hurricane season in Cuban history. blog
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
@JPB,
The projection "cone" is still a circle which means they aren't sure what it's going to do next. The computer models are going every which way.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200817_model.gif
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@JPB,
paloma could be a problema... hopefully not...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 12:34 pm
blizzard conditions and 40 mph gusts today... 7-10" of white shite in Bahstin by tonight, followed by negative windchills.

the show must go on -- First Night remains on schedule, so bundle up if you're going out tonight, party people... we sooooo aren't...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:40 am
New storm shaping up that could mirror the "Superstorm" of 1993.

From an analyst at weatherunderground...

Quote:
...There you have it. Basically, any solution is still possible at this time. In terms of sensible weather, the eastern side of this storm will be very mild Atlantic air flood into the region with copious amounts of rain, easily over an inch. This would likely create flooding problems due to the amount of QPF combined with melting snow, which may melt rapidly with rain/mild temps/high dewpoints/strong winds. With the recent stretch of very cold air rivers are likely frozen over presenting the probability of ice jams. Along the western side of the storm blizzard conditions will be possible. Snow will be very heavy with strong winds as the low bombs out into the 970mb’s. Precip from the storm will move into the southern portion of the region Monday afternoon, spreading into New England by Tuesday morning. The storm pulls into Canada on Wednesday with numerous snow showers in its wake and much below normal temperatures as it drags an arctic airmass into the region.
more

Quote:
Storm of the Century, 1993 wiki The Storm of the Century, also known as the ’93 Superstorm, No-Name Hurricane, the White Hurricane, or the (Great) Blizzard of 1993, was a large cyclonic storm that occurred on March 12"March 15, 1993, on the East Coast of North America. It is unique for its intensity, massive size and wide-reaching effect. At its height the storm stretched from Canada to Central America, but its main impact was on the Eastern United States and Cuba. Areas as far south as central Alabama and Georgia received 6 to 8 inches (20 cm) of snow and areas such as Birmingham, Alabama, received up to 12 inches (30 cm) with isolated reports of 16 inches (41 cm). Even the Florida Panhandle reported up to 2 inches (5.1 cm), with hurricane-force wind gusts and record low barometric pressures. Between Florida and Cuba, hurricane-force winds produced extreme storm surges in the Gulf of Mexico, which along with scattered tornadoes killed dozens of people.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Storm_of_the_century_satellite.gif
ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
@JPB,
mmm thanks but no thanks

the pile of snow in front of my house is waaay above my head already
JPB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
I hear you -- northern New England has a ton of snow too -- they don't need more, nor would a rapid melt-off be good.

I just noticed a purple band near the boot heel area of MO. Wonder what 2packs is up to...

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/National/nsm_depth/nsm_depth_current_National.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
From accuweather.com

"Quoting John Kocet, AccuWeather.com:
This will be a textbook case of a storm coming out of the Gulf of Mexico then turning up the East Coast. This is the type of thing we meteorologists salivate over, yet rarely see.

The storm will get started on Sunday as powerful jet stream winds plunge into the Deep South. Clouds will quickly expand through the western Gulf Sunday, and rain will break out by afternoon. The precipitation area will grow rapidly later in the day and at night.

The northern side of the growing storm will be snow. Sunday night, expect accumulating snow to spread from Arkansas into western Tennessee and western Kentucky.

The storm will not get to its worst stages until Monday and Tuesday when it makes the turn up the Eastern Seaboard. Somewhere west of Interstate 81, there will be a big dump of snow from this thing, perhaps more than a foot.

My apologies to all you snow lovers along the I-95 corridor. For you, this storm will bring wind and rain."