Responsible For?

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 01:45 pm
Responsible For?

Could you be responsible for someone else's sins In other words, is it possible that one person could be held responsible for someone else's actions? Or is everyone responsible for all of their own actions?

For example: Let us say that there is a well known drug addict in the neighborhood. And lets say that he is always begging and you are continuously giving him money. One day after you have given him some money, he takes it and buys some drugs which he overdoses on. Could you or should you be held responsible for his continued addiction and death ?

Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where [is] Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: [Am] I my brother's keeper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,307 • Replies: 59
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:21 pm
You'd have to be giving him a helluva lot of money every day. If you're giving him a buck or two a day I am sure you would not be arrested. But if you are giving him $100 per day then you would probably be held responsible. I don't know the religious implications.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:27 pm
Re: Responsible For?
Mindonfire wrote:
Responsible For?

Could you be responsible for someone else's sins In other words, is it possible that one person could be held responsible for someone else's actions? Or is everyone responsible for all of their own actions?

For example: Let us say that there is a well known drug addict in the neighborhood. And lets say that he is always begging and you are continuously giving him money. One day after you have given him some money, he takes it and buys some drugs which he overdoses on. Could you or should you be held responsible for his continued addiction and death ?

Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where [is] Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: [Am] I my brother's keeper?

The act of giving the person money is a charitable and noble thing to do. However, if the giver knows the purpose for which the money is to be used, he is aiding the person to do evil.

The Christian thing to do might be to determine why the money is needed in the first place. If the person is asking for food...give him food. If he is asking for shelter....get him shelter.

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:57 pm
I can give my personal opinion. No religious connections, purely personal.

I do not believe we are responsible for others actions.

In the situation you presented: If you knew the person was a drug addict, and gave money, that would be a foolish thing to do, IMO. There would be moral implications for oneself - contributing to/enabling an addiction. Helping another destroy themself.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:15 pm
We are not responsible yet we are punished, in your case you have nothing to fear, exept maybe a little unfounded guilt. Also Cain killed his brother, so of course he would be held acountable. And according to old testament we were punished b/c of adam and eves sin. Were punished b/c o9f something they did.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:00 am
Intrepid wrote:
Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

This says we should masturbate and have lots of sex.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:04 am
NickFun wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Speak for yourself.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:24 am
NickFun wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Your silliness is becoming tiresome. If you are, as you have written, 46 then it is time to grow up.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:29 am
Mindonfire wrote:
Responsible For?

Well... no. Each person has to decide how they are going to live their life. If you give someone money for drugs and they overdose I don't believe you are responsible for their overdose. After all you didn't sit there and hold their nose to the table and make them snort some coke. However, you are responsible for giving them the money and enabling them to continue a lifestyle that was endangering their life.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
EpiNirvana wrote:
We are not responsible yet we are punished, in your case you have nothing to fear, exept maybe a little unfounded guilt. Also Cain killed his brother, so of course he would be held acountable. And according to old testament we were punished b/c of adam and eves sin. Were punished b/c o9f something they did.
We suffer the consequence of Adam and Eve's sin. The punishment for their sin was/is death. Jesus lived and died so we might have the opportunity to be ransomed from the punishment.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:41 am
flushd wrote:
I can give my personal opinion. No religious connections, purely personal.

I do not believe we are responsible for others actions.

In the situation you presented: If you knew the person was a drug addict, and gave money, that would be a foolish thing to do, IMO. There would be moral implications for oneself - contributing to/enabling an addiction. Helping another destroy themself.

This then means that you are partly responsible?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:43 am
EpiNirvana wrote:

If you know that someone has an addiction and you give them a means to sustain that addiction and eventually kill themselves, then you are partly responsible for that persons addiction and subsequent death.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:45 am
hephzibah wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Responsible For?

Then you are partly responsible for their actions

Well... no. Each person has to decide how they are going to live their life. If you give someone money for drugs and they overdose I don't believe you are responsible for their overdose. After all you didn't sit there and hold their nose to the table and make them snort some coke. However, you are responsible for giving them the money and enabling them to continue a lifestyle that was endangering their life.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
mindonfire... you liked what I posted so much you had to repost it???

Laughing Just kidding...
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:02 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Responsible For?

This was supposed to be the oriiginal response. You are held accountable for knowingly aiding an individual in the comittment of an offense. If you know that an individual is susceptible to a certain thing and you aid him in obtaining that thing then yes you are partly responsible. You are your brothers keeper.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:47 pm
Quote:
You are held accountable for knowingly aiding an individual in the comittment of an offense. If you know that an individual is susceptible to a certain thing and you aid him in obtaining that thing then yes you are partly responsible. You are your brothers keeper.

And exactly how does this scripture even RELATE to what you are talking about here mindonfire? God was talking to Cain after he had murdered his brother. It's a totally different scenario. Totally different reasoning for God even asking. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you are refereing to it as meaning. Abel didn't kill himself. Cain didn't enable Abel to kill himself. Cain actually committed the crime, and Cains response was out of a guilty conscience. God knew Cain killed Abel. Cain knew God knew and yet he still tried to cover it up.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:54 pm
neologist wrote:
We suffer the consequence of Adam and Eve's sin. The punishment for their sin was/is death. Jesus lived and died so we might have the opportunity to be ransomed from the punishment.
Therefore prior to original sin there was no death, no form of reproduction, no evolution, no extinct species. Ok then, when I now kill a fly I can accomplish this because of original sin.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:04 am
Self identity is inextricably bound up with the social environment . "Rights" and "responsibilities" are abstract conventions which regulate interpersonal relationships. Prescriptive codes such as "religion" or "legislation" endeavor to make these abstractions "concrete" but in essence such codes are subject to negotiation.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:22 am
Chumly,

You nicely demonstrate the consequences turning to "biblical authority".
It is interesting to note the responses of religionists when they are accused of being "responsible" for the actions of religious extremists by supporting a "rationality" of "an afterlife".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:47 am
Yup!
0 Replies