From Whence Avocado?

Pitter

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:15 pm
In what part of the world is avocado a native tree? I´m guessing Central America...also where is cilantro native? I´m a little surprised that it´s an obligatory ingredient in both Vietnamese and Colombian cooking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,766 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:38 pm
Central Mexico.
Both cases.

The Spanish for avocado, "aguacate", comes from Nahuatl "ahuacatl", which means "testicles".

A South American version, called "pagua" was commercialized in Mexico some years ago. Bigger, easier to peel, but not as savory, it failed.

A mixed variety, coming from a pagua-aguacate implant, and called "aguacate Haas", is very common now.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
Aguacate in Español but "palta" in peruano. Quite a surprise for me and my colombiana wife reading restaurant menus there. While "cilantro" certainly sounds like a Spanish word my wife heard on TV that it originated in Europe. What´s the scoop on cilantro and is it only an ingredient in Vietnamese cuisine in the U.S. and not in Viet Nam?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:10 pm
I've never seen cilantro in Vietnamese food here, and am an avid fan. Well, maybe I didn't go to enough places.

Maybe I'm confused, but I think coriander is the seed, and cilantro is the leafy green. Maybe that's an old mistake. But if coriander is the seed pod, then it is one well distributed plant, and may have originated in europe.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:19 pm
I love cilantro. Oddly, I also associate it with both Mexican and Southeast Asian cuisine. Maybe the Vietnamese restauranteurs in Toronto came from a different part of Viet Nam than the ones in your area, ossobuca.

Quote:
Although cilantro and coriander are most often associated with the cuisines of Mexico and Asia, the herb originated in the southern reaches of the Mediterranean. Coriander has been found in Egyptian tombs dating back 3000 years. It is even mentioned in the Bible in Exodus 16:31, where manna is described as "small round and white like coriander seed." The ancient Hebrews originally used cilantro root as the bitter herb in the symbolic Passover meal.

from here
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
Pitter wrote:
Aguacate in Español but "palta" in peruano.

Yes, "palta", not "pagua" as I wrote.
Palta is the "unsavory" variety.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:45 pm
It's the Spanish and other empire-building nations. They took native foods from everywhere they colonized and brought them to other colonies. So, chilis from the Americas in Southeast Asian cooking, potatoes in Indian curries, rice in Mexican recipes, etc.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:51 pm
Alligator pear is another name for the avocado.

The American Heritage Dictionary entry for Alligator Pear is:
"By folk etymology from American Spanish aguacate, avocado (the trees are said to grow in areas infested by alligators)."

In the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs, the word for the fruit of the avocado tree was 'ahuacatl.' Spanish speakers pronounced it 'aguacate', but other Spanish speakers substituted the form 'avocado' for the Nahuatl word because 'ahuacatl' sounded like the early Spanish word 'avocado' (now 'abogado'), meaning "lawyer." In borrowing the Spanish 'avocado', first recorded in English in 1697 as "avogato pear."

Neither the skin nor the alligators are the sole source of the likely origin of alligator pear. In the opinion of the Oxford English Dictionary, the most likely origin is simply the mispronunciation of the Nahuatl word for the fruit "ahuacatl," and sites the following (among others): 1861 Tylor Anahuac ix. 227 "There is a well-known West Indian fruit which we call an avocado or alligator-pear, and which the French call 'avocat' and the Spaniards 'aguacate.' All these names are corruptions of the Aztec name of the fruit, 'ahuacatl.'"

I believe all three - the skin, the alligators and mispronunciation all contributed to the development of the name 'alligator pear.'
0 Replies