Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:32 pm
It appears that response was intended for you, Bartikus. It wasn't.

This thread asked about people's experiences in church.

I gave mine.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:48 pm
Lash wrote:

I gave mine.

I definately get what your saying Lash.

I have a close friend who out of curiousity (and because I could'nt keep my mouth shut) visited al local church for the first time in his life...alone.

He is peppered with various tattoos that some apparently found to be ......so offensive they told him to leave and that his kind was'nt welcome there.

I cried.

I told my friend that Jesus is'nt like that. He will accept and love you right now....just as you are. No matter what any other person may say.....does'nt matter!

That is real.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:55 pm
That's horrible.

Half of the people in our last church began to talk horribly about the other half, and there were rude verbal fights in the church until half felt they had to leave. The preacher was told if he didn't recite a pledge, he'd be fired.

Sounds like something out of the Dark Ages.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:01 pm
Lash wrote:
That's horrible.

Half of the people in our last church began to talk horribly about the other half, and there were rude verbal fights in the church until half felt they had to leave. The preacher was told if he didn't recite a pledge, he'd be fired.

Sounds like something out of the Dark Ages.

My own previous church went through a similar argument over the holy spirit and speaking in tongues.

You don't need to look in the church to find arguments and split ups.....dissension and such.

We are all just people.

It's not in the Dark Ages and it's all around us here and now in the modern world.

In homes, At work, In school, everywhere.....

Jesus...remains! He is the rock!..........
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:05 pm
If a church is no better and has no distinction from the worst the world has to offer, it's of no use. My opinion, anyway.

I don't see Jesus anywhere. Nowhere.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:09 pm
Lash wrote:

I gave mine.

You did far more than that.

You broadbrushed all churches based on your experience, especially all Baptist churches.

Lash wrote:
Church is no place for a decent human being. Not Baptist church, anyway.

Lash wrote:
Because of the nature of Baptist churches and the mean-spirited, self-righteous, fundamentalist, power hungry personalities of the people attracted to positions of power in that particular strain of religion, I collected enough information to form an opinion.

I'm not a Baptist, but out of the tens of thousands of Baptist churches in the country and in the entire world, how many have you set foot in?

So how are you better than the people you criticize?

You savage whole groups of people based on your limited knowledge and your emotional response to the few you've known.

There's a word for that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
I also gave my opinion, based on my experiences.

RL thinks he's going to give my opinion based on my experiences.

A Baptist, certainly.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
Lash wrote:
If a church is no better and has no distinction from the worst the world has to offer, it's of no use. My opinion, anyway.

I don't see Jesus anywhere. Nowhere.

I am supposing you mean his characteristics.

Do you see him in yourself at times or in others in moments? Any family members who ever gave you glimpses?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:21 pm
Actually, I do remember twice that I offended several people at church.

One time was when a woman sitting next to me in Sunday school said she could understand why a person would shoot an abortion doctor. I'm sure without a shadow of a doubt she found my response offensive.

Years ago, when another Sunday School class was discussing how they hated to give handouts to people, who came in smelling like cigarettes, I'm pretty sure my comment was considered insulting.

Mea ******* culpa.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:22 pm
Bartikus,

Don't Sunday School me.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:24 pm
Lash wrote:
Actually, I do remember twice that I offended several people at church.

One time was when a woman sitting next to me in Sunday school said she could understand why a person would shoot an abortion doctor. I'm sure without a shadow of a doubt she found my response offensive.

Years ago, when another Sunday School class was discussing how they hated to give handouts to people, who came in smelling like cigarettes, I'm pretty sure my comment was considered insulting.

Mea **** culpa.

My own grandmother cringes when I kiss her on the cheek because I smoke! lol Laughing

she pretty much winces. My own family even..... Surprised

I'll still keep kissing her..................LOL
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:26 pm
They wanted to withhold charitable services from them and their families if they thought they smoked.

That's not OK with me.

It wasn't one or two things. It was a pervasive superiority and harsh judgment of people less fortunate.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:39 pm
Lash wrote:
They wanted to withhold charitable services from them and their families if they thought they smoked.

That's not OK with me.

It wasn't one or two things. It was a pervasive superiority and harsh judgment of people less fortunate.

I'm sure there are churches/people/individuals who are'nt that way Lash.

Keep looking...... you'll find em if ye seek them.

How long have you been looking now?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:39 pm
real life wrote:
Churches get a very bad reputation when they let imperfect people join.
Must be a lot of perfect people that in essence would then not require Christian religion being perfect and all they could not share in original sin.
Intrepid wrote:
My Church does not refuse anybody from joining. We do not judge - God looks after that.
Judgment would only be a function of a less than all knowing all seeing all powerful deity. Logic dictates that with infinite powers would come no need or purpose for judgment as everything past present and future is already known.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:44 pm
Jesus did say he came for the sick,the lost, the sinner!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:45 pm
Can you explain please?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:12 am
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Churches get a very bad reputation when they let imperfect people join.
Must be a lot of perfect people that in essence would then not require Christian religion being perfect and all they could not share in original sin.
Intrepid wrote:
My Church does not refuse anybody from joining. We do not judge - God looks after that.
Judgment would only be a function of a less than all knowing all seeing all powerful deity. Logic dictates that with infinite powers would come no need or purpose for judgment as everything past present and future is already known.

Everything is known....only to him.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:45 am
I cannot fathom how your response relates to my post but suffice it to say that if "Everything is known....only to him" then by logical default nothing can be known to other than him, therefore no one can know anything; but if I know that no one can know anything, how can I know that no one can know anything if "Everything is known....only to him"?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:53 am
Re: Churchgoers
shark wrote:
Why do some people choose NOT to attend church?

As a reminder, the above was the question being presented

While my answer stands in that I prefer to worship in private, I do now have something to add.

The last several pages have totally disgusted and sickened me. The same old/same old crap about "well, just keep looking, you'll find the right church", the preaching, the stupid arguments back and forth where those self satisfied church goers speak with forked tongue.

This condecending garbage isn't about God at all, it's about showing others how superior you are by saying "I'm so humble, but I'm sure I'm right"

How about getting back to the question folks?

As far as I'm concerned, this entire thread is ruined, and is now open for the rest of the gang to poor in to make this just another **** flinging fest.

I'm so disappointed. This was such an interesting educational opportunity at first to learn more about some people I'm interested in.

If you do go to church, fine.....This was asking others why they don't, and for those of you in the last serveral pages....you are a BIG part of the reason.

good bye to this thread, and I say good riddance.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:00 pm
Re: Churchgoers
Chai Tea wrote:
shark wrote:
Why do some people choose NOT to attend church?

As a reminder, the above was the question being presented

While my answer stands in that I prefer to worship in private, I do now have something to add.

The last several pages have totally disgusted and sickened me. The same old/same old crap about "well, just keep looking, you'll find the right church", the preaching, the stupid arguments back and forth where those self satisfied church goers speak with forked tongue.

This condecending garbage isn't about God at all, it's about showing others how superior you are by saying "I'm so humble, but I'm sure I'm right"

How about getting back to the question folks?

As far as I'm concerned, this entire thread is ruined, and is now open for the rest of the gang to poor in to make this just another **** flinging fest.

I'm so disappointed. This was such an interesting educational opportunity at first to learn more about some people I'm interested in.

If you do go to church, fine.....This was asking others why they don't, and for those of you in the last serveral pages....you are a BIG part of the reason.

good bye to this thread, and I say good riddance.

I have'nt been to regular church for quite some time so I definately can relate to many of the reasons to not go. :wink:

Sometimes it seems better to just get together with a few others at somebody's home to have 'church' as an alternative. Maybe even with people who are not like the ones you referred to Chai.

People can have 'church' any time they choose which is cool.

Later
0 Replies