Water softener installation

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:39 am
I have read a few installation guides and am still a little confused about where to install a water softener. In the basement the 1" water line comes out of the concrete. It then travels vertically about a foot before it tee's off and sends a line to my shop next door(which has a bathroom). It then continues on to the water heater and so on. Here's the thing. I am assuming that the sprinklers run off the water lines in the house. Would I be using soft water on the yard then as well and wouldn't that be a waste? Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 1
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:35 am
Re: Water softener installation
johnstac wrote:
Here's the thing. I am assuming that the sprinklers run off the water lines in the house. Would I be using soft water on the yard then as well and wouldn't that be a waste? Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Most sprinkler systems T off of the main line before it enters the house.
If you can not locate a line in your basement going back to feed the sprinkler system and you are sure the line to the shop does not feed the sprinklers you should be OK.

You try not to water the lawn with soft water, but sometimes it happens.
This is not a big deal with a modern metered softener like an EcoWater system. It will automatically adjust it's regeneration cycle to compensate.
0 Replies