A Little Horse in the Burgers?

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:24 pm
There is a move underway in Texas to make horse meat a legitemate additive to beef (ground beef, I presume.) Any other states considering it? Texas has two plants for killing horses, so it would be easy to implement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,643 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BeachBum

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:50 am
I just have one thing to say:

"Wilbuurrrrr"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:58 am
The original steak tartare was made from raw horse meat. The only reason it changed to beef when it made it to America was because of cultural tastes, and horror at eating horse meat. I say go for it. However, why add it to beef, rather than just sell it as horse?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:04 am
Why not? Horse meat has a delicious taste.Unless the horse was somebody racing horse, cuz that would be full of antibiotics, steroids and such...

We have a horsebutcher here in the county, and boy!, did he do good business during the BSE scare! He sells everything that you'd expect from a "normal" butcher, sausages, steaks, ground beef(?), sirloins, the whole range. Good stuff, like I said.

The horse meat consumption Switzerland is and always was relatively big, approx. 10-13% of all meats sold. The french has lower number, 6-7%, and here in germany we're talking about less than 1%.
0 Replies