I know all about art, but I don't know what I like. lol

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 06:12 pm
Some of the images displayed below are masterpieces of abstract art, created by great artists. The rest were painted by an ape. Can you tell which is which?
http://reverent.org/an_artist_or_an_ape.html
Here are many more tests, enough to make you an authority on modern art.
http://reverent.org/quizzes.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 06:50 pm
Quote:
Some of the images displayed below are masterpieces of abstract art, created by great artists. The rest were painted by an ape. Can you tell which is which?

Heh--apparently I can 83% of the time... that's what I scored on the test.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:20 pm
Hmmm.

I looked at these about an hour ago and thought, "I can't tell", and checked out some other topics.

Came back and tried it, hah, I got 100%,
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:42 pm
I checked them all as "artist." I think I was right: I would love to paint like that monkey. He makes wonderful art.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:59 am
Got 83% - one wrong.

On the other art quizzes....got the same on each 83%

then, I really bombed out on the writers quizzes..then again, I'm no fan of dickins or faulkner, and frankly never read joyce.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:05 am
I liked the ape paintings too - less apparent planning, more fortuitous happenstance, heh.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:10 am
83% as well. However, when I tried the Mozart vs. Salieri test, I got 40%. Ow.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:12 am
83% as well.

The one I liked best was the one I got wrong -- it was by an ape.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:23 pm
I also often love the art of Nature, e.g., cracks in sidewalks, stains on ourdoor walls, etc. Who said only humans can be artists?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:46 pm
Well, this statement needs considerable pontifical qualification. I am not saying, with Duchamp, that something (ready made or Nature made) is categorically art BECAUSE I SAY IT IS. I am saying that it has artistic power if it has beauty. And this may only be for me at a particular time. Art is not a "thing" (even if it is in an art museum); art is the aesthetic quality of experience, and that pertains to the relationship between a human mind and any phenomenon which stimulates that mind aesthetically--whether the person makes it or someone or something else does. The core artistic process is the human aesthetic response, the appreciation or recognition of beauty in the world. This response may be to the work of others or to your own. It's also what guides our hand while in the very process of creation.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 02:06 pm
I could distinguish it quite clearly

http://www.borge.diesal.de/a2k/art.jpg
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:37 pm
CJ, you are something else.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:03 pm
Pardon me for being so serious, but it is likely that the monkey's successes are less frequent than that of the human. I wonder how many works his human "manager" has thrown out before a good design pops up. In the case of the human s/he probably work on their artwork until it works. One saves a lot of paper and canvas that way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:16 pm
Colors probably pre-selected as well (guessing).
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:43 pm
83% like many, but if anyone's interested, i didn't pick them on the basis of artistic merit at all. rather, i assumed anything random would be by the ape. so, if the canvas background was filled in, as in the case of a kandinsky painting, i think, i picked artist. the pollock piece was recognizably pollock, but also, it has a layered look to it, in that black color squiggles seem to have been painted first, then gray above black, and finally sienna? the one painting i missed on, it appeared the background *was* filled in, but i'm guessing that it was painted on a black canvas or sheet of paper, so i think i would have gotten it too if i were looking at the actual canvas instead of an image.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:24 am
same thing. looked for elements of design, assumed that to be human.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:59 am
Me too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:07 am
Me too, but an "element of design" might be an appearance of randomness. This was common with deKooning and other Abstract Expressionists (the action painter branch of AEism).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:08 am
True, but it tipped it for me in this quiz.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
The ones I got wrong on this quiz were ones I thought might be de Kooning.
0 Replies