• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Clary

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/crosnes.jpg

Staphys affinis, not an artichoke as we know it, also called 'crosnes' in French
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
it has been Clary-fied Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:25 am
I remember in another thread that someone said the Stachys plant tasted like artichoke. That would be the basis for its 'common name' Chinese artichoke, that is, its colloquially used name, not the official latin name.

It is a situation similar to 'heavenly bamboo'. Heavenly bamboo is the common name for Nandina domestica, which is not a real bamboo at all but reminds people somewhat of a bamboo like Phylostachys aurea.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:49 am
Region Philbis wrote:
it has been Clary-fied Smile

(So don't mention I didn't address the Chinese name, which I can't find even in my Chinese Herbal medicine book!)
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:41 am
Thanks, Clary, the Photo Shows the Very Thing I Want to Find
Thank you very much. The photo of Staphys affinis, also known as 'crosnes' in French, is the Cao Shi Can which I mention in my recent study of translation of Chinese proper names into English. I am lucky that my doubt has been clarified by Clary.
But how did you insert the photo into your text?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:24 am
One more question
In your last reply, Clary, you said that "Staphys affinis, not an artichoke as we know it, also called 'crosnes' in French." But when I checked my article I found out that the Latin name I quoted for Cao Shi Can (crosnes) is "Stachys sieboldii Miq". I am somewhat puzzled. Since I know nothing of Latin, I can't account for this difference. Can you help me again?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 02:07 am
What is the etymology of "crosnes" in French?
I am still curious. I wish to know why the French give it this name in French.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 02:35 am
Mr Bois and Mr Pailleux who introduced the Chinese artichoke in France, cultivated it in their garden in Crosnes, small village of Essone département, near Paris. So they gave the name of the village to the plant.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 04:59 am
Ah, I wondered about that name.

a) to insert a photo from a website, you go to 'post a reply' and click on IMG, then you insert the web address of the photo, and put it into the reply box - as simple as that!

b) I know, the 'affinis' is the only variety I can find with the name Chinese artichoke - there are several websites which have some details, if you google for it, but I didn't find your 'sieboldii' - they are probably very similar.

It isn't in my book of Chinese vegetables, nor in my book of Chinese medical plants, for some reason.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:06 am
ossobuco wrote:
I remember in another thread that someone said the Stachys plant tasted like artichoke.

I said that here
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:13 am
How confusing, 2 threads with the same topic.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:15 am
One can fancy...
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:27 am
I thought "Crosnes" might support my theory...
I thank Clary and Francic, both from France, and other friends for the very useful information you offered me. I thought the French name "Crosnes" might have a meaning indicating the shape of the thing it represents. But it turned out to be a place name. But that name may be used to support another theory of mine.
My sincere thanks again.
0 Replies