messenger pop-ups WERE making me nuts until I got help here.

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:26 pm
Tom,

Make sure you have administrative access to your computer.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:24 pm
bookmark until I get home.....
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:16 am
messenger popups
Craven - I'm not on any network. So I am the administrator, aren't I? I won't do anything until I confirm this.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:21 am
Tom, YOU may think that you are the administrator, but Windows doesn't know you are until you tell it that you are. Take a look at the instructions on the website I posted earlier and it will explain it to you and how to fix it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:31 am
Yep, I hadn't thought about that, but you have to tell the computer that you have admin rights, it is not default.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:09 am
Admin
Tom:

If you setup XP then you ARE the administrator. If you go into Control Panel>Users and check your settings, it will show you as the Admin. Therte IS an overall Administrators setting that you setup when you first loaded XP that you can log into, but you shouldn't need that. I killed Messenger using the ways I gave simply through my own user setup.

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:49 pm
windows messenger popups
Thanks, Murray. I checked, and I am listed as the Admin. So I'll see what hapens next.

P.S. Do we know you from Abuzz by any chance?
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:56 pm
ABuzz
Tom: Caught me red-handed !! Very Happy

One in the same.

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:58 pm
Windows Messenger popups
So, Murray, Welcome to A2K. I know your description here is "newbie", but I also know that only refers to the amount of your A2K activity. A computer newbie, you ain't. Exclamation

The default location showed so many msgs...entries that I couldn't be sure which one to rename, so I'll try the lengthy link you gave. I'll keep you posted. Also, when I tried renaming one I got the response that someone else was using it Exclamation Weird.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:04 pm
Not a link
Tom:

The first fix isn't a link.. it is a command file that gets copied and pasted into the Start>Run dialogue box.

Murray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:06 pm
Murray et all.

Let's write this one up in an easy tutorial and post it in a new thread?
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:16 pm
Sounds good to me !!
Craven:

Sounds like a plan to me !!

Murray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:18 pm
Ok, now all we have to do is plan on how to get the ball rolling. :-)

I'm bogged down right now but I'm planning an index of such tutorials and informational topics.

This would be a fine addition.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:25 pm
Windows Messenger popups
Oh.

Anyway, I tried it and first got the response that there was an error and the file couldn't be accessed and then lo and behold I watched the file being removed. So I hope that's it. We'll see...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:35 pm
Hmm, was there a problem with the simple tutorial I put up on my website?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:24 pm
Windows Messenger popups
Butrflynet - Well, not exactly, though I was a bit unnerved by the warning about messing up my PC. But I could have followed the instructions, they were very clear, except that my computer has a nasty habit of cutting off the right side of some windows, and that's what happened with your tutorial. I'll have to look at it more carefully to make sure I'm not missing any vital info before I try.

For example, I only got "...completely go to Run an" (about halfway down the first page), and don't know whether the word is "and" or some prefix to the next line, "gpedit.msc" which I would need to enter.

Anyway, now I'm waiting to see if the damn thing pops up again...

And thanks.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:30 pm
Windows Messenger popups
Murray and Craven - Butrflynet's tutorial is clear, although as you see in my last response, I couldn't use it just yet. But an index to such tutorials would be great. Unindexed info is a problem - it may be there, lying around somewhere, but access is denied, so to speak.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:05 pm
Nothing wrong with your tutorial B, I just want to put one on site. It's part of a larger project.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:06 pm
Tutorial
Tom:

I can get it as well and I do think Craven's idea of a "tutorial" area is a great idea.

Murray
0 Replies