messenger pop-ups WERE making me nuts until I got help here.

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:28 am
I installed DSL a few weeks ago and since then I've been getting a lot of pop-up adds from msn instant messenger. I didn't sign up for msn instant messenger anew. I never signed up for msn messenger. I get many pop-ups a day and it's pissing me off. I just took a bit of a cruise through my hard drive and, of course, couldn't find an obvious way to stop the pop-ups. Is there a switch I could throw somewhere to disable the service?

Please save my sanity! Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,215 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:35 am
littlek- There are programs that you can download that will stop the pop-ups. I use my Zone Alarm Pro to to that.

Here are some pop-up stoppers that you can download:

Link to Pop up Stopper Downloads

I don't know how each program works, but I enabled pop-ups on A2K. Before I did that, I never got the pop-up notices for my PMs! Sad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:36 am
littlek, just follow the directions below for whatever operating system you use. If you are on Windows 98 still, you are unfortunately out of luck. Hope this helps. Once you disable Messenger, you will never see another one of those pop-ups.

The Security Department has been notified that Internet customers can receive spam in the form of a Windows pop-up on Windows XP/2000/NT machines. This Windows pop-up is made possible by a service called Windows Messenger (not to be confused with MSN Messenger), which is installed by default on XP/2000/NT machines. While this service does not allow remote access to information on an individual's computer, it can provide a conduit for unsolicited messages or advertising. An individual can identify a message as being sent through Windows Messenger by examining the title bar of the window as shown in the following example: [insert annoying pop-up graphic here]

How to stop it:

Windows XP

Click on the Start button and open the control panel.
Open the Performance and Maintenance control panel and go to Administrative Tools.
Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger.
Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service.
Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom.
Click OK to exit window.

Windows 2000

Click on the Start button -> Settings -> Control Panel.
Double click on Administrative Tools.
Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger.
Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service.
Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom.
Click OK to exit window.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:41 am
Phoenix, the messenger pop-ups are different from your average internet pop-ups and ads, and there isn't a program out there that will stop them. It is an insidious form of spam that takes advantage of a port flaw in Windows O/S. Disabling the program is the only way to do it, and it is actually really easy to do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:45 am
Phoenix and cav Thanks!.

Cav, may you be blessed with (hmm, what would cav want to be blessed with?) fluffy souffles and rich tortes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:50 am
Heh heh, thanks! I got those pop-ups all the time, and I was just too stubborn to suffer, and I didn't want to pay for any program. A little research found me the solution. I should mention another free program I use to delete spyware: AdAware, at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/. I run it daily. There are also fancier versions of the program that you can purchase, but the basic one is totally free, not a trial.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:51 am
cav and littlek, When I had my computer in the shop, I got a loaner with Windows Xp installed, and those popups really drove me crazy. Now that I have my own machine back, no more of those constant popups. I was told that the new machines that comes with Windows Xp comes with the "Messenger" option in the active mode. Most people buying new computers won't know that they can stop those popups, and a small percentage of them will end up in the looney bin. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:06 am
Yep, Messenger is 'active' by default in Windows 2000 and XP. Glad I could be of help. Pass on the info to anyone you know who has similar problems but who might not be an A2Ker Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:12 am
That active staus explains some of it, but it only started acting up when I installed DSL. Maybe the cable I was feeding off had a filter or setting flipped on their end....?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:15 am
I think it is just a matter of the spammer being able to get in a lot more spam on broadband.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:18 am
But I was on broadband and I'm now on DSL.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:23 am
Hmm...dunno then...from what I read, the messenger pop-ups are one of those "if you didn't get them before, you probably will eventually" sorta things.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:31 am
gotcha. Maybe the DSL download tweaked something.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:17 am
Messenger
LittleK:

FYI, broadband and DSL are one in the same.. Broadband is simply a generic term used to define cable and DSL connections..

If you want to stop the Messenger pop-ups for good, do the following..

Click [Start] [Run] and in the [Open:] box type or copy/paste the following command

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Click [OK]

or, The default location for Windows Messenger is C:\Program Files\Messenger. When XP wants to fire up Messenger it will try and access the files at the default location. To prevent Messenger from loading, just rename the Messenger folder to something new; i.e.: MessengerDisabled. If you want to use Messenger at some point down the road, simply rename the folder to Messenger and you're back in business.

Murray
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:38 am
Thanks, Murray, Good info. c.i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 11:07 am
I've had so many friends ask for help getting rid of those MS messenger pop-ups that several months ago I made a quick website that explains how to get rid of them. If anyone still needs help with it, perhaps this will do.

Getting Rid of Those Annoying Messenger Pop-Ups
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:18 pm
thanks all for more good info!

Ok, so, I went from cable to DSL.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:21 pm
messenger popups
Cav - I tried your instructions, and got as far as Messenger. That window's buttons are mostly greyed out. I changed the startup to Disabled, but the Apply button is greyed out. All I can do is click OK, and I don't think this will help.

Any ideas?

I am Confused and Sad
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:18 pm
poor k...those things can make ya nuts

glad you got some help

and thanks to all who offered up such a great variety of information for those suffering...thats just lovely of you!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:22 pm
Tom, I am no expert....try the advice from Murray and Butrflynet...that might work.
0 Replies