Imagine there's no heaven...

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:59 pm
Are secular countries more prosperous? do they enjoy more tangible freedoms? How about crime? is there a relationship between highly religious countries and high crime levels? are religious countries more likely to go to war? or to at least condone it?

I'm posting this map from wikipedia where one can evaluate these questions in a more detailed manner.

I say that as we become less religious the world becomes a better place to live in. :wink:

Darker shaded areas indicate more religious societies.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7813/europebeliefingodav5.png
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,243 • Replies: 97
No top replies

Miller

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:06 pm
Where's devil worship on those maps?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:28 pm
I say you are very wrong, do you make your assumption because the middle east is dark blue ?

What about The republic of Ireland, Italy, Poland, Ukraine, Greece Portugal and Spain they all are above 70% while the peaceful places like the uk and germany are below.
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:57 pm
Well; the topic does propose several questions; that you've decided to focus solely on the one that better suits your needs is a totally different matter although very understandable; religious individuals tend to act that way.

Let's put it this way:

The more religious a country is the more likely its citizen's minds and lives will be messed with. :wink:
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:17 pm
The less-religious countries are definitely more fun.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:31 pm
I'm with your good self, selfruled.

Personally, I think those that expect another life after death place less value on life itself. How could they possibly do otherwise?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:51 pm
First point I ain't religious, i was just pointing that out, 2nd point I was answering your claim, finally how can you imagine theres no heaven when you don't know what heaven is ? (If its a place where you have to worship an insecure deity then i am ok here) Maybe the map should show religious extremism, as most of europe stays well away from that and the middle east would be black as would much of the US.

selfruled wrote:
Well; the topic does propose several questions; that you've decided to focus solely on the one that better suits your needs is a totally different matter although very understandable; religious individuals tend to act that way.

Let's put it this way:

The more religious a country is the more likely its citizen's minds and lives will be messed with. :wink:
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:59 pm
This is getting interesting:

Explain to me what heaven is please.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
Is that a statement or a question?

selfruled wrote:

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:26 pm
Well, there is no such thing as eternal punishment in hell. And the Bible's hope for the vast majority of humans is to live on earth. So who cares about heaven?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:29 pm
neologist wrote:
So who cares about heaven?

The few that will live in heaven?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:30 pm
You just get stranger and stanger, Neo.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:31 pm
You mean worship in heaven, how exciting...

InfraBlue wrote:

The few that will live in heaven?
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:41 pm
BDV wrote:
Is that a statement or a question?

selfruled wrote:

Never mind the nonsense:

Have you been to heaven?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:54 pm
Yep many times, how about you ? Theres a bus that goes there every week from near my house, although it has a "Strictly No Atheists" sign on it, so you can't come.

selfruled wrote:
Never mind the nonsense:

Have you been to heaven?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:22 pm
Re: Imagine there's no heaven...
selfruled wrote:
Are secular countries more prosperous? do they enjoy more tangible freedoms? How about crime? is there a relationship between highly religious countries and high crime levels? are religious countries more likely to go to war? or to at least condone it?

Anyway, getting back on topic......

The problem is seperating the cause from the stats. eg Do high crime countries have crime because of high religion, or is it the other way around?
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:36 pm
Actually I'd say that because some countries are not too religious their citizens have a greater appreciation for a life well lived and a greater respect for their fellow citizens based on positive enforcement; instead of the threat of punishment by an angry god.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:39 pm
Yes, but can you support that?

My church has some good statistics that demostrate the correlation between global temperatures and the number of pirates:

http://www.venganza.org/
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:42 pm
Selfruled has crashed into the forums with lots of assertions, but little or no facts.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:43 pm
AsI expect we all have Intrepid
0 Replies