UEFA Champions League 2006/2007

Ashers

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
Draw for the quarter finals, ties to be played 3/4 April & 10/11 April.

AC Milan - Bayern Munich
Chelsea - Valencia
PSV - Liverpool
Roma - Manchester United

Possible Semi final ties...

Roma/Manchester United - AC Milan/Bayern Munich
PSV/Liverpool - Chelsea/Valencia
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
Quarter-Finals Away Leg

AC Milan 2 - 2 Bayern Munich
Chelsea 1 - 1 Valencia
PSV 0 - 3 Liverpool
Roma 2 - 1 Manchester United
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:03 am
Quarter-Finals Home Leg

Bayern Munich 0-2 AC Milan agg 2-4 - AC Milan go through
Liverpool 1-0 PSV agg 4-0 - Liverpool go through
Manchester United 7-1 Roma agg 8-3 - Manchester United go through
Valencia 1-2 Chelsea agg 2-3 - Chelsea go through

Fair play United.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:32 pm
Semi Final Home Leg

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool
Manchester United 3-2 AC Milan

Semi Final Away Leg

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (1-1 agg, Liverpool win 4-1 on penalties) Very Happy
AC Milan 3-0 Manchester United (5-3 agg, AC Milan win)

Final to be played in Athens...

AC Milan vs Liverpool, a repeat of the 2005 final back in Istanbul!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:05 pm
And to think AC Milan was close to not participating at all.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:23 am
Absolutely. I wonder what the odds were at the start of this season for the final being between Liverpool and Milan again! Here's the stadium...

http://www.stadia.gr/oaka/oakaworks34th.jpg

I have to say though, I'm not sure how the final would have worked out if it had been United vs Liverpool. I know they were talking of moving the final to Wembley if it had been the case but in terms of security and crowd trouble, the authorities might have had a problem on their hands, United and Liverpool do not go down well.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:18 pm
I wouldn't have liked the move from Athens. The stadium looks gorgeous though.

Are you Liverpool fan, Ashers?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:18 pm
Yes I am, 2-3 weeks to go, can't wait. I won't be able to attend in Athens but I wouldn't have liked a move to stage the final in England, you lose the culture and mystique of it all then. I enjoy the champions league because of the mixing of european sides in competition, as well as the travelling between stadia and the different fans.

At the end of the Liverpool - Barcelona game at Anfield when Liverpool knocked them out, the Liverpool fans started a chant of "Barca, Barca, Barca", their fans responded with "Liverpool, Liverpool" etc. I think that's great, there was lots of sharing of scarves and other memorabilia too, Liverpool have built up some great relations with the fans of Olympiakos & Bayern Leverkusen as well.

Hopefully it'll be a great football match anyway, Milan are a wonderful side and Kaka is a wonder player.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:28 am
AC Milan 2-1 Liverpool Crying or Very sad

I enjoyed the final though, even if I am biased I really was impressed with Liverpool, we lack a cutting edge which has cost us dearly this season but we dominated Milan for long periods. Ancelotti talks of Liverpool not allowing the opposition to play, Milan closed Liverpool down, hustled and harried them too, just look at Gattuso on Riise. Shame we couldn't take advantage when it counted, goals change games. It was weird towards the end of the game too, I believed we could still win it, it wasn't blind faith but just a confidence level in the team that I've never had for years, maybe ever in my time supporting them. I thought Carragher's post match interview was great too, such class, I think Liverpool are on the up. Hopefully we can learn from Milan and their clinical touch. Well played Milan. Smile

Then there is You'll never walk Alone being sung at the end, you never get tired of that, warms the heart. Some pictures from the BBC, from the final in Athens...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42964000/jpg/_42964027_gerrard416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42964000/jpg/_42964383_milan3300.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42964000/jpg/_42964019_red416.jpg
0 Replies