Metro Arts and Architecture

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:28 am
Some Metros are wonderful and interesting. The audience is captive while waiting. All cities with looooong art galleries should be applauded.
Metro Arts and Architecture
Subways need not be boring or dreary! Many operators of metros, subways or underground railways want to attract more passengers with good station design. This often means extra effort and higher costs for the metro operators but it seems to pay when a metro is more than just a means of transport but something the residents can be proud of.
Read below which metro systems double as the world's longest art galleries and in which cities you can see stunning underground palaces, museums, aquariums, an ancient chapel, or the world's first example of computer-generated architecture - or simply user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing underground stations.
http://mic-ro.com/metro/metroart.html#Athens
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:53 am
That's a great link, detano, wonderful photos.

I seem to remember Mexico City's metro had at least one station where they featured an archeological display of pieces found in the dig for the metro.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:06 am
When I was in Stockholm, I admired the local artists and their cool ideas.
0 Replies