Chowder: What can you tell us (who know nothing) about it?

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:01 pm
I mentioned on the "dinner" thread that I'd made my very first simple chowder (of sorts!) last night. Hey, it wasn't half bad! Very Happy Now I'm interested in discovering more! So I asked, should I start a chowder thread? And received this response:

CalamityJane wrote:
Yes, Miss Olga, we clearly miss a chowder thread. Open one!

Okay! Very Happy

So, assuming you are speaking to folk (like me) who know next to nothing, what can you tell us about it?
I could Google away to get more information but it's far more enjoyable & interesting to hear what enthusiastic home chefs have to say.

So, chowder information, anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,409 • Replies: 48
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:03 pm
<sneaking in, knees a-knocking>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:09 pm
Oh, good!
I hope we're going to learn some new cooking tricks here, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:15 pm
littlek wrote:
<sneaking in, knees a-knocking>

I'm curious about why your knees are knocking, K.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:19 pm
The answer is there on the dinner thread - chowder scares me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:22 pm
Ah yes! The unknown mystery ingredients!
I guess the only way of feeling better about this is to make your own? At least you know what's in there! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
True, that's why I am here! Waiting with you for our instructors.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
i've probably made a chowder like dish, give me an idea of what you consider a chowder to be
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:25 pm
That is part of the problem, I (for one) don't know. Except that it's thick and chunky.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:28 pm
i'm guessing it involves dairy of some sort, milk or cream

i make a very thick chicken stew in the winter, but it's broth based so i'm assuming it's not a chowder of any kind
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:28 pm
Wiki says:
Quote:
Chowder is any of a variety of soups, enriched with salt pork fatback and thickened with flour, or more traditionally with crushed ship biscuit or saltine crackers, and milk. To some Americans, it means clam chowder, made with cream or milk in most places, or with tomato as "Manhattan clam chowder." Corn chowder is a thick soup filled with whole corn (maize) kernels. Chowder is often commonly associated with New England cuisine.

So, that corn soup I made with the roux could have been a vegitarian chowder.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:29 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i've probably made a chowder like dish, give me an idea of what you consider a chowder to be

Like k said, djjd.

You are also speaking to me in Oz, to whom chowder is an exotic dish from a foreign country! Laughing

But I must go now, it being just after midday Saturday here. Gotta get moving! I shall return later!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:31 pm
Nothing too specific is necessary, djjd: "Chowder for the uninitiated" is what we're after. Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:44 pm
From a menu at a nearby restaurant:
New England Clam Chowder -- <price>
Manhatten Clam Chowder -- Take I-95 south.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:49 pm
Here's a recipe which sounds like it ought to be good, for New England Clam Chowder, the prototypical N.E. soup.

DO NOT make Manhattan Style Clam Chowder. It is an ABOMINATION and an invention of the devil. Chowder should not have tomato in it. They used to feed the Manhattan gunk to us in the school lunch room in New Jersey, and when I moved to Boston and had the New England style for the first time it was like the sun breaking thru the clouds--"oooh, THAT'S the way it should be."

Fish chowder is also good--use a light white boneless fish, and fairly large chunks. They probably used cod here, but I don't know if you can get that there.

Venus de Milo New England Clam Chowder

This recipe is a variation of our clam chowder recipe which was a multiple winner at the Newport, Rhode Island and Boston, Massachusetts chowder festivals. At the Newport chowder festival the Venus de Milo is a 3 time winner and has been enshrined in the Chowder Hall of Fame. The secret to an exceptional chowder is to not skimp on the ingredients. Canned ingredients may be substituted but the final product will not be the same.

Preparation Time: Approx. 90 minutes
Servings: About 2½ quarts or 12 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups ½ inch dices potatoes
5 cups fresh chopped surf clams
1½ cups clam juice
4 oz. butter
½ cup flour
¼ cup minced onion
¼ cup minced celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2½ cups light cream
salt as needed
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
3 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dry dill weed

Method:
Wash the diced potatoes, drain and place in a stock pot with the clam juice. Bring the potatoes to a boil, add the chopped clams and bay leaves and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
In a separate stock pot melt the butter and sautee the onion, celery, and garlic until the onions become transparent. Add the flour to the butter and onion mixture to make a roux and cook over a low heat for several minutes.

Add the hot clam stock through a strainer a cup at a time and wisk until smooth. Add the remaining potatoes, clams, and stock and bring to a simmer.

Add the light cream, black pepper, and dill weed and return to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning.

Serve at once with crusty bread or oyster crackers.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:49 pm
As I said: I love New England clam chowder, but very few restaurants
can make a good one, and mostly they don't have enough clams in it,
and it's to creamy. So the right combination is the key.

So, I use extra portions of clams (minced in a can) and potatoes (we are great potatoe eaters). One can also use fresh steamed clams, but it
doesn't really add more to the taste. Instead of salt pork, I like to use bacon.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:52 pm
According to my old "new, revised deluxe edition", circa 1970, of the "Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook" chowder is, "a dish made of fresh fish, or clams, pork, crackers, onions, etc., stewed together".
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:57 pm
We're going to Legal Sea Food (I kid thee not, that's the name of the
restaurant) for lunch Sunday in honor of yours truly.. GREAT CHOWDAH!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:58 pm
Now, how did 'chowder' getr comandeered to mean, automatically CLAM chowder? What about corn chowdah? Huh?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:02 pm
Pay no attention to the girl in the cornfield.
0 Replies