Ain't never gonna do it without the fez on
Oh no
That's what I am
Please understand
I wanna be your holy man
0 Replies

panzade

Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:39 am
I wear a baseball cap when I have neglected my monthly hair cut.
0 Replies

Piffka

Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:17 am
hebba wrote:
I finally found a fez for sale at an "antique" market a week or so ago.
I went and bought it.
I now have a fez I can call my own.
I´m going to wear it while I work.
I´m happy with my fez.

<thud>

picking self up.... <ahem> Hebba?
0 Replies

Jim

Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:26 am
I've never been a hat person. I have to wear a hard hat at work, but that's about it.

Lately I've been wearing my hair shorter and shorter - to the point that I have to wear a baseball cap when out walking the dog, or I'll sunburn the top of my head.

I must confess that I have been remiss. Our school has a 100+ year old tradition about graduating seniors and alumni wearing Stetsons. The tradition was mostly forgotten when I graduated, and I never bought one. I'm going to make amends when I'm home on leave this December and finally order one. Here's a link describing the tradition:

http://www.alumnifriends.mines.edu/fun_stuff/mines_stetson/
ossobuco

Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Jim,
This reminds me, I finally threw away my hardhat, schniff.
cicerone imposter

Thu 5 Mar, 2009 05:20 pm
One of my favorites that I wear when I travel has HOT in bold letters on my baseball cap. Since I've been traveling in tropical areas such as Mexico and the South Pacific, people smiled at me when the weather was really hot. But the HOT really stands for House Of Travel, a travel company based in Lodi, California, that I have traveled with frequently. It was a gift from the owner when we did the Med wine cruise some years ago. When I wore it on the Mexico cruise last October, one of the ladies in our group also wore the same cap. I have a couple dozen baseball caps lying around the house; many are Hard Rock Cafe caps from around the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This reminds me, I finally threw away my hardhat, schniff.

hardhat presentation, 1976

http://images.ladypb298.multiply.com/image/3/photos/11/400x400/8/with-chally.jpg?et=SXYW9z8aSeHt4%2CP%2BGWKGIQ&nmid=216387745
ossobuco

Sat 7 Mar, 2009 06:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Mine was red...

weird how it'll be the things you decisively part with that you can miss.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:04 am
Hat update:

I've recently added a new hat to my collection to aid in sun protection while out gardening.

When wearing it, it brings back memories of the cowgirl hats I wore as a kid.

Here's what the hat looks like (that's not me).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yCPaW5PUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The wind lanyard (didn't know that's what it is called until a moment ago) works well to keep the hat on my head here in the high winds of ABQ.

Have you added any new hats to your collection?
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:06 am
When i am old i shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesnt go.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

From helmets to fedoras to baseball caps and bonnets, through the centuries hats have often been worn as utilitarian head gear as well as symbolic fashion statements and accessories.

Do you wear hats? Why or why not?

Describe some of your favorite hats you own and tell us why they are your favorites.

Here are a few websites of interest regarding hats:

The history of hats.

Women's Hats in the early 1900's

Helpful hints including hat etiquette, matching a hat with your outfit, and overcoming hat hair.

More handy tips for hats.

I've always loved hats. In the Summer, I wear a floppy hat to keep the sun off my skin and to avoid melanoma. In the Winter, I wear hats that are sporty
and usually found in ski areas to keep my ears and head warm.

I personally don't understand how some individuals can go hatless in the Winter and let their little ears freeze. Hot heads in the Winter mean hot bodies, too.
So keep your hats on.

More women wear hats in the South of the USA, then in New England. While,
more women wear hats in NYCity, but of a sporty and more expensive variety.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:33 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

williamhenry3 wrote:

I think the current fascination with women's hats began in 1997 with the movie Titanic whose heroine, played by Kate Winslett, was first seen in a stunning "picture" hat. At this point, one wondered whether or not a hat was upstaging the gigantic Titanic.

I think it might have began a bit earlier then that when Lady Diana began wearing them. She wore them as both a fashion statement and shield from the press. I always thought she had wonderful taste in hats and knew exactly how to wear them to look her best.

As far as I can recall, Queen Elizabeth always wears a hat when in the public eye. I love her hats as they make her ( in my eyes ) a very classy looking woman.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:36 am
@quinn1,
quinn1 wrote:

Hats are great unfortunately we dont get the occassion to wear them much anymore.

All the Babes who attend the major horse races in the US wear hats. ( Even when the race is held in the East ) . However, one doesn't see many women wearing hats in the Boston area, anymore.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:02 pm
Looks like hats are slowing working their way back to the runway.

http://www.luxist.com/2010/01/28/the-fasthion-statement-hats-on/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2010/01/par3021525.jpg

The Spring/Summer 2010 Haute Couture shows got underway earlier this week in Paris and, by the looks of things so far, they could have easily been renamed "Hat Couture."

Jean Paul Gaultier framed his models' faces in feathers (shown above), Mexican sombreros and metallic halos reminiscent of South American icons. (We noticed the blue nail polish, too.)

Karl Lagerfeld, whose muse for Chanel Couture must be equal parts geisha, schoolgirl and American housewife circa late '50s/early '60s, placed sugary sweet bows in each girls' bouffant 'do.

On Aura Tout Vu went to the extreme by building a tiny city around one model's head, held in place by metal rods affixed to her belt.

Riccardo Tisci at Givenchy took the concept of "lid" to a whole new level with a millinery lineup that resembled screw-top caps, cylinders and mid-century lampshades. Some were white, stark and shiny while others were black, textured or featured veils.

Galliano was among the more conservative with equestrian top hats, stovepipes and high hats. The riding crops he placed in the hands of his models, expected in an equestrian theme, nevertheless added a dominatrix spirit.

The bride wore black veils at Franck Sorbier...and forks?! Sure enough, even a handful of forks was sculpted into a chapeau.

Fashion watchers are eagerly watching the couture shows to get a glimpse of the gowns, some of which will make their first public appearance at the Oscars early March. More than likely, hats won't get their turn on the red carpet. Unless you're talking about Lady Gaga or Aretha Franklin at President Obama's Inauguration last year, hats make rare appearances in public. More's the pity.

In the rarefied world of Haute Couture, clothes only a handful of women can actually afford to buy, there is no need for practicality. Hats, headdresses and chapeaus may symbolize rank, achievement, beliefs, sexuality and membership, but to designers, they're all about drama.

Most of these hats will never get made. Their main purpose is to help create an image, a signature of one of the most exclusive clubs in the world (ironically, these same fashion houses make most of their money through the sales of small-ticket items like sunglasses, fragrance and handbags).

Like the peacock that unfurls his fan-like iridescent plumage to lure potential mates, so designers must keep wooing
women in all economic classes. I, for one, will happily watch the spectacle.
Reyn

Sat 26 May, 2012 10:58 am
@Butrflynet,
Why do models always look mad?
tsarstepan

Sat 26 May, 2012 11:24 am
@Reyn,
Haute couture is painful to wear apparently.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 26 May, 2012 11:40 am
@Reyn,
They are not mad. They are hungry
0 Replies

Reyn

Sat 26 May, 2012 09:44 pm
Good points, guys.

Sounds like good info to give a young person who wants to be a budding model.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 27 May, 2012 12:28 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
Why do models always look mad?

And they're probably wearing shoes like this.
I mean would you be smiling if you had to walk the catwalk in these, Reyn?

http://forladiesbyladies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/weird_shoe5.jpg
Reyn

Sun 27 May, 2012 07:43 am
@msolga,
Those are shoes? They look like mini-stiltes.
0 Replies