Men's hats (Dobb's Fifth Avenue)

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:07 pm
Mo wants to be a zombie gangster for Halloween so I've been piecing together his costume from thrift store finds and zombifying it.

I found a great brown fedora at Goodwill and was all set to start shredding it up when I noticed the tag inside: Dobb's Fifth Avenue, New York.

I know 5th avenue is known for having pricey stores so just for kicks I google the hat and see them selling for anywhere from $10 to $150.

This hat looks like it's never been worn.

I have no qualms about tearing up a $10 hat but can't quite bring myself to destroy a $150 hat.

Does anyone know anything about this store and these hats?

Thanks!

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 06:31 pm
The hat looks exactly like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8lpWQayElO1evV4wHtjgBKDvJqZp04WhdG5R8Isg1A2AKviwW_CWukw-jAUE7J2usPcOolsD-&usqp=CAE

This one is for sale on etsy for $98.

I'm not sure how close etsy's prices are to real market value though....
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 06:45 pm
No idea about Dobbs, but that's a narrow-brimmed fedora - very retro-hip in a Mad-Men sort of way. I picture a gangster zombie in more of a broad-brimmed fedora or a straw boater.
boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 07:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a more acceptable zombie gangster hat! I'm clueless about hats. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap one from the Halloween superstore and hang on to this one.

I had not considered a straw boater. I thought they were more picnic in the park.

I was dancing in the aisles of Salvation Army when I found a cheap violin case to use for treat toting.

He's going to be the best zombie gangster ever!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:52 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a more acceptable zombie gangster hat! I'm clueless about hats. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap one from the Halloween superstore and hang on to this one.

I had not considered a straw boater. I thought they were more picnic in the park.

I was dancing in the aisles of Salvation Army when I found a cheap violin case to use for treat toting.

He's going to be the best zombie gangster ever!
U know that his violin case was the repository
of his .45 caliber Thompson Submachinegun, right boomer ?

David
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:05 am
@boomerang,
that's more of a hipster hat than a gangster hat

wide-brimmed is the way to go

sell that hat for $100 to a happy hipster
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6r7ubC6v51rqd5coo1_400.jpg
"Dis ain't gonna' be no picnic!"
sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:43 am
@boomerang,
I love the violin case for candy!

Sozlet's going to be relatively boring this year I think, we have a plan B idea all ready but a plan A hasn't really presented itself so that's probably what she's doing. A Day of the Dead Catrina -- cool face makeup, braids on top of her head, flower crown, etc. She'll pair that with a floral gauzy shirt, her flamenco skirt, and flamenco shoes. Only had to buy some of the face makeup, and the shirt (cheap at Forever 21) we have the rest of it. Probably will do a thrift store sweep for additional elements. (Better shirt, skirt overlay, sash, whatever presents itself.)
boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes. Why do you think I wanted a violin case for a gangster!?

He wanted to carry one of his nerf guns/airsoft guns but I didn't think walking around in the dark wearing a mask and carrying anything that resembled a gun would be a smart idea for a pre-teen boy even on Halloween.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
My neighborhood is full of happy hispters! This is happy hipster paradise! There's a very good vintage clothing store near my house. I thought I might take it in there to see if they want to buy it.

I was going to cut it open and shred it up so that brains were coming out of it so it wouldn't much have resembled a fedora at all by the time it was finished.

I just hate to tear up something well made...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:53 am
@joefromchicago,
Well I learned something new today!

It might be easier to find one of those than a fedora!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:57 am
@sozobe,
That doesn't sound boring at all!

Mo's been a zombie for the last three years -- cosmonaut, clown, gangster. Gangster has been the most challenging but it's coming together pretty nice.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:07 am
@boomerang,
that is too cool a hat to chop up.

and at Mo's age he runs the risk of looking like a zombie boy-band member...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:44 pm
Any hat he wears, it must be worn at a rakish angle. Even zombies know that.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/ktrk/cms_exf_2007/_video_wn_images/7022702_600x338.jpg
0 Replies