The Art of The Hat

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:29 am
Quote:
Main Entry: hat
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: covering for the head
Synonyms: Panama, Stetson, boater, bonnet, bowler, bucket, chapeau, fedora, headgear, headpiece, helmet, lid, millinery, sailor*, skimmer, sombrero, stove pipe, straw, tam, tam o'shanter, ten-gallon, topper

http://tinyurl.com/24gqny2

I rarely ever wear hats because I'm picky and cheap. Hats can be expensive and well if it isn't perfect, I won't wear it. They need to be the perfect color or set of colors. They need to be of the perfect shape. They need to fit me perfectly. They need to be affordable. For me to wear them, they can't be too ostentatious. They can't be too extravagant. They can't be too ratty or too common.

In other words, they need to be perfect.

The only hat I have ever really worn was the Boston Red Sox baseball cap. But still I do appreciate the art of hats and hat~wearing.

I go for the traditional fitted Red Sox hat. No lame assed unofficial team colors:
http://i33.tinypic.com/123r32q.jpg
Okay, so the traditional baseball cap kind of violates my last condition but being a citizen of the Red Sox Nation is part of my being, my identity ... so sue me. I never said I wasn't a hypocrite. Razz

So if you love the art of hats and hat~wearing, spread your hat and hat~wearing love here.

The hat that inspired this fashionable thread:
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=13499801
http://www.polyvore.com/pink_dropped_ice_cream_fascinator/thing?id=13499801

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm picky too. That's why I wear this. I also have a baseball cap that has a stylized Canadian Flag; a leather flat cap; a fedora type plus a few others.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/Beanie.gif
Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Hi, would you like to add my old link to MY Online Hat Collection to this thread?

Hope you find it interesting.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:55 am
@Reyn,
I had a Davy Crockett hat, like the first one in your link, when I was a kid in the 50s
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:55 am
@Intrepid,
Sounds like your a hat-tarian expert. A capped ringer of sorts.

My last favorite hat was my grey Kangol flat cap I got from TJ Max (I think). I owned it for about 5 or 6 years in the mid to late 90's before losing it at a movie theater while I took my nephew to see a movie. Both of us were heartbroken when we went back to find the hat and couldn't find it.
Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:56 am
@Intrepid,
...and I bet it looked very stylish on you at the time! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Did you have a look at my fabulous collection? Lots of imagination at work.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:59 am
@tsarstepan,
A few years ago I had a hat that I really liked. Fit nicely and cost a lot of money.

I noticed that a friend of mine was wearing the same hat one evening. I mentioned that it was a great hat and I had one just like it. He smiled a wry smile and said. "Oh?" I asked his wife where he got it. She said he paid $5.00 for it at the Church rummage sale.

Yup. My wife donated my hat and he bought it for $5.00. I was not happy and told him I would give him $50.00 for it. He refused. I am still married.
Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Yup. My wife donated my hat and he bought it for $5.00. I was not happy and told him I would give him $50.00 for it. He refused. I am still married.

Laughing Laughing
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:16 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Yup. My wife donated my hat and he bought it for $5.00. I was not happy and told him I would give him $50.00 for it. He refused.

What a heartbreaking story. Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love hats but don't wear them all year around. I still have two berets, favorites.

Usually I wore them in a more normal mode, somewhat atilt on my head, but in the case in the photo, it was a very chilly day in March, and I ignored the tilt business.
So, me in Montalcino, dressed in woolly layers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/jinmontalcino138.jpg?t=1281291272
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:22 pm
@Intrepid,
laughing... but it was of course a serious matter..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not generally a fan of the color ~ baby blue but this baby blue hat suits you well.
Eva

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:37 pm
@Reyn,
I remember that thread of yours, Reyn! Very creative!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's sort of greyish blue. I like my black beret better, but both have some sentimental attachment from me.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 01:11 pm
Back in the early days of A2K, Craven would sometimes need a bit of money to keep the thing going.
I got a hat out of that. A baseball cap with A2K stitched on the front. It was red. It was my first real hat.
It got chewed on by a dog and run over by a truck. I was not wearing it either time.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
Women have to wear hats, too. In the heat, a baseball cap is the only solution. I looked mighty hard to fine a nice, feminine pink hat with the word Diva in rhinestones across the top. Frankly, I don't like any of the winter hats fashioned for women. But, I wear a black tight knit one that covers my ears.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think I have two. Not red. Want one?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@Pemerson,
Me too.. if I am serious, I wear the knit one that covers my ears.

Berets don't quite get there, even at their most expansive.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I remember that thread of yours, Reyn! Very creative!

Why thank you! Very Happy
0 Replies