Most boring film ever?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:46 pm
The Countess From Hong Kong rates high on my list also.
0 Replies

annihilat1on

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:09 pm
India
you dont live in india now do you ?

some of the movies they make here would put hardcore insomniacs to sleep.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:14 pm
True that Bollywood turn out entertainment confections that puts Hollywood to shame. They also have made some of the best examples of the highest form of the cinematic art. "The Terrorist" is one of my favorite movies from India or anywhere else in the past decade:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169302/

The Frence cinema which was cutting edge forty or fifty years ago lost its inspiration and they churn out some real yawners.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:18 pm
"The English Patient" wins hands down, although I could qualify that by saying I only saw the first half of "Eyes Wide Shut" - the only movie I've ever walked out of before the end - not from boredom, I simply didn't like it and wasn't much of a TC/NK fan to begin with.

I liked "Constant Gardener" so much I bought it and watch it frequently.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 03:23 pm
My response to The English Patient was ambivalent. I liked the acting; the story was also fine, but gruesome. But give me Kristin Scott Thomas in anything, even Mission Impossible.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 07:45 pm
The movie was made as a personal cinematic statement that was not made to please every movie goer. Despite what any one individual thinks about it, it's an art film that either one connects with or does not. There are hundreds of movies that I can name that are not just boring but aesthetically mediocre to just plain crap. Especially on this forum, as there are many rave user reviews on IMDb, this seems to be a film that brings on such a vehement dislike that I could never figure it out. You might have hit it, JL with the gruesome factor, but it's no more gruesome than a slasher movie and I think it's because it is a romantic tragedy on a Shakespearean level. Ditto "Eyes Wide Shut."
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:49 am
CoastalRat wrote

Quote:
I don't know if I should admit this or not, but the most boring and totally useless waste of film that I have ever watched was Open Water. I can only be thankful that I did not pay to see this piece of crap in the theater. This movie tops my list for both bore-factor and just plain bad movie-factor.

Yeah that was shite.

x
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:03 am
Sgt Bilko, with Steve Martin
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:04 am
Yeah, I've avoided that movie because it did seem to be in the realm of reality TV. Rather watch "Jaws" again for entertainment with a shark.

"We're going to need a bigger boat." Laughing
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:13 am
I do declare that after several viewings I still like The English Patient a lot. It may be slow moving, but it has substance to it, good acting and very nice imagery. I thought that Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty (1996), which reminded me a bit of the Patient, because of its setting, is far more boring, even though a lot of bruha was made about Liv Tyler's deflowering.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:32 am
"The Sheltering Sky" also became tedious with Bertolucci constantly dwelling on "Lawrence of Arabia" desert shots a bit too long, lackluster dialogue (the book is mostly narrative) and Debra Winger was simply miscast -- in places she got dangerously close to being just plain silly.`
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:10 pm
"Amadeus" bored me to death (sorry if spelt wrong)

x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:57 am
Lightwizard wrote:
"The Sheltering Sky" also became tedious with Bertolucci constantly dwelling on "Lawrence of Arabia" desert shots a bit too long, lackluster dialogue (the book is mostly narrative) and Debra Winger was simply miscast -- in places she got dangerously close to being just plain silly.`

I saw about 5 minutes of that and its name has been in my head to watch at some point in the future.I may miss it out now you have said its boring.

I think you have to be in the right mood to see certain films.If yuor in an upbeat mood that last thing youd want to sit through is the English Patient.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:04 am
I liked Kristen Scott Thomas -- who manages to look different in every role -- in every movie she's been in except The English Patient.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:03 am
material girl wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

I saw about 5 minutes of that and its name has been in my head to watch at some point in the future.I may miss it out now you have said its boring.

I think you have to be in the right mood to see certain films.If yuor in an upbeat mood that last thing youd want to sit through is the English Patient.

I'm exactly the opposite -- I can't sit though an introspective, profoundly sad and tragic film without being in a good mood, or at least somewhere in the middle between sad and happy, but never if I have the blues over some real-life incident or situation.

What movies did Kristen Scott Thomas look different than Kristen Scott Thomas? She won the Oscar for "The English Patient" but, to tell you the truth, I have lost her in my memory in any other comparable role.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:10 am
Kristen Scott THomas was Queen Anne in Ian McKellan (sp?) excellent Richard III.

There are actors who you see in movies and remark to yourself on their talent but can not immediately place. When the credits run, you see their name and say, yes! I remember . . .

She is one of those who I reacted that way to in several movies. Before the release of The English Patient, she was given a build up with the constant questionning as to whether she had a big enough name to carry the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:45 am
OOPs! It was Juliette Binoche who won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, Kristen being nominated but did not win.

Nope, she looked like herself in "Richard III" dressed up and with a hair-do of the period. She wore mostly basic wear for the desert and minimal make-up in "The English Patient" and played to role to the T. Juliette actually had the more important role in caring for the patient while Kristen was left in a cave to, well I don't want to be a spoiler.
0 Replies

ConsiderThis

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:36 pm
J_B wrote:
"The English Patient" wins hands down, although I could qualify that by saying I only saw the first half of "Eyes Wide Shut" - the only movie I've ever walked out of before the end - not from boredom, I simply didn't like it and wasn't much of a TC/NK fan to begin with.

I liked "Constant Gardener" so much I bought it and watch it frequently.

Whew! I am glad to read that. I liked it too. I've watched it about three times, mainly because I'm new to DVDs and didn't know how to get past the freezes without starting from the beginning.

Be that as it may, I liked it enough to be happy to watch it repeatedly.
0 Replies

pajamazzon

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:36 am
the worst movie iv ever watched was the english patient,i dozed off in the cinema..
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:40 am
I'm trying to guess what other movies you dozed off in but welcome to A2K and the film forum anyway. It's one of those movies that, like many a good novel, starts a little slow but the payoff is poignantly moving. Not everyone is attracted to a doomed love affair, especially if they have had one themselves. :wink:

My take is why Ralph Fiennes seems to always be drawn to tragedies, sometimes depressing like "The Constant Gardener." Although I liked that film, it was a downer. But, then, that was the point of the film -- the corporate drug companies stamping on (or even killing) the ordinary person just to make an extra buck.
0 Replies