Independent Mind

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:36 pm
What if you are an egocentric that wishes to change the nature of his centre? Confused
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:57 pm
coberst wrote:

It appears that the key question of an egocentric is "How can I get what I want and avoid having to change in any fundamental way?"

I think that is close...perhaps "How can I get what I want and avoid having to change in any way that I perceive to be negative"

People are always willing to want to change in ways that they see as positive, just ask the diet & beauty industries, plastic sturgeons.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:43 pm
Instinct, drives, unconscious motivations, etc. are inevitable; they are the forces of life itself. But it is also the case that we must manage them, perhaps sublimate them in the interest of survival. Without the illusion of ego and the constructed identities (roles, statuses) made possible by the sense of responsible self and other, society would have been impossible, and, given our physiological weakness so would our species' survival. Reason is homo sapien's principle survival tool, yet it has very little spiritual value, as far as I can see.
Spiritual realization is not something we "figure out" (deductively or inductively); it's something we realize with our entire body and we do so by means of an essentially non-rational intiutive process.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:16 am
Eorl wrote:
coberst wrote:

It appears that the key question of an egocentric is "How can I get what I want and avoid having to change in any fundamental way?"

I think that is close...perhaps "How can I get what I want and avoid having to change in any way that I perceive to be negative"

People are always willing to want to change in ways that they see as positive, just ask the diet & beauty industries, plastic sturgeons.

I think that the egocentric would consider anything s/he wanted was ipso facto positive.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:19 am
Well said JL!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
JLN wrote:
Instinct, drives, unconscious motivations, etc. are inevitable; they are the forces of life itself. But it is also the case that we must manage them

What is the I that manages, if it is not what is managed?

Or is this just one of those grammatical restraints you sometimes lament? Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:55 pm
A very provocative question, Cyracuz. We know that the suppression and sublimation of drives occurs, but that that is not proof of the concrete existence of a self that suppresses/sublimates. It just happens. And, as you suggest, our efforts to describe that process necessarily includes the grammatical subject-predicate structure of an ego-agent who causes supression/sublimation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:59 am
Maybe the ego is something that "just happens", as you put it.

It seems to me that the only thing about self that has concrete existence is "heat".

To clarify, the self is like a flame, and the only property it has is that it happens. All the rest are just logs on the fire.

I think this is a good analogy, because a flame cannot exist without something to burn...
0 Replies