• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 02:37 pm
Quote:
In my opinion the natural sciences do not prepare an individual to become an independent mind whereas the humanities do a better job of that.

That's due to the nature of the specific problems.

When reading about the natural sciences you get pretty much the same all over; facts. There are not several ways to interpret "0 degrees calvin" for instance. Success in this field is to accept the facts.

For other problems there are many plausible answers, and in reading various works we can often experience contradictions. That is the wake-up call as I see it. That's when we start making up our own minds.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:25 am
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
In short this is how I understand the following terms:

Mono-logical issue; an issue on wich consensus can be reached only through the application of one specific path of logic. The biases of the participants are not important because the logic itself is biased.

Multi-logical issue; an issue not confined by logic because the participants are in disagreement on wich logical trail is the most beneficial in "cataloging" the issue.

The way I see it, a multi-logical issue is an issue on wich there is little or no certain knowledge, or as you put it: "not pattern like or that the pattern is too complex to ascertain". There is no grounds upon wich to form the axioms that are required in making an issue mono-logical.
This lack of knowledge or understanding causes the self to alter in it's perception of it. In dealing with facts we apply intellectual reason, but as soon as there's a shortage of certainties reason becomes emotionally based. One function of emotion is to bridge areas of understanding that are unclear or misunderstood.

So it is my belief that the key to navigate these multi-logical issues is control of one's emotions, not only one's intellect.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
cyracuz

That sounds pretty good to me.

Building the atom bomb dealt with single logic (principle) concerns.

Dropping the bomb dealt with multiple logic (principle) concerns.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:49 am
So you agree that reason can be emotionally based?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:06 pm
Yes, Cyracuz, insofar as ALL conscious thinking is MOVTIVATED it's basis is emotional, i.e., some kind of desire. Otherwise we just have images floating through our mental view sans destination (except insofar as we also have unconscious motivations/goals)
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:09 pm
Cryacuz I agree with JL.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:19 pm
Yes.

But I am not talking about the motivation of thought, but the process itself.

In addition to acting as the boost to apply intellect, emotion also serves as a backdrop to reason, a sort of support where the trail of reason becomes elusive.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:32 pm
But, of course, motivation drives the "process" throughout its career. When motivation stops, the process halts, having lost its motivational feul.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:08 pm
The paths of learning aren't always paved. We may be motivated but unsure of how to understand. When reason fails to give a suficcient answer we are still able to continue based on hazy considerations and vague assumptions until they can be relieved by something of more substance. It is my statement that this ability to "climb the thin reeds" is emotionally based.

But maybe we're just saying the same thing...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:00 pm
As I see it, there is only motivation (drive, will) with noone who is motivated or driven.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:47 pm
For once I agree with you coberst.

A personal theory based on my own experience: There aren't that many science geniuses teaching high school, there aren't even very many gifted teachers teaching in high school. The combination of both is even more rare.

When I was at Uni, I was studying science as a science student....while the people who were destined to teach high school science were studying "education" instead....and they seemed to be two very different kinds of people.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:23 pm
I've always tried to be a "good teacher" throughout my career. But I've come to the conclusion that education results less from good teaching than from good learning. We go to school (especially universities) to learn (with the help of teachers), not to-be-taught.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:54 pm
I'm sure you are an outstanding teacher JL. I've learned much from you myself, and it's good to have another opportunity to thank you for that. Smile
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:19 am
Cyracuz wrote:
The paths of learning aren't always paved. We may be motivated but unsure of how to understand. When reason fails to give a suficcient answer we are still able to continue based on hazy considerations and vague assumptions until they can be relieved by something of more substance. It is my statement that this ability to "climb the thin reeds" is emotionally based.

But maybe we're just saying the same thing...

I agree. Understanding, the pinnacle of comprehension, requires curiosity and caring, without those two important matters no one will understand anything.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
JLN wrote:
As I see it, there is only motivation (drive, will) with noone who is motivated or driven.

Maybe. But this motivation is not an invisible push. It manifests as something, and it is my belief that this something is actual thought.
I believe that when someone is unable to acknowledge obvious glitches in their understanding (something we often see with religious people defending their creed), it is not because they cannot control their intellectual reason, but because they cannot control their emotional reason.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:42 am
Cyracuz wrote:
JLN wrote:

Maybe. But this motivation is not an invisible push. It manifests as something, and it is my belief that this something is actual thought.
I believe that when someone is unable to acknowledge obvious glitches in their understanding (something we often see with religious people defending their creed), it is not because they cannot control their intellectual reason, but because they cannot control their emotional reason.

We have irrational forces constantly pushing us out of being reasonable. These egocentric and sociocentric forces must be comprehended and fought constantly if we are to remain rational.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:04 am
Quote:
We have irrational forces constantly pushing us out of being reasonable. These egocentric and sociocentric forces must be comprehended and fought constantly if we are to remain rational.

I disagree. To remain 'rational' is to have both emotion and intellect in harmony with eachother.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
I was recently watching, for the third time, the movie "Full Metal Jacket". For those who have been privileged to serve in the military this movie will bring back ^#%*@ memories. For those who have not had this privilege this movie will be instructive as to certain means to instill the proper attitude into the citizen turned soldier.

The military recruit spends eight weeks in basic training upon first entering service. This eight week period includes an introduction to certain skills and knowledge required by all military people. Primarily, however, these eight weeks are designed to change dramatically the attitude of the recruit.

One aspect of this attitude change focuses upon changing the natural egocentric attitude into a sociocentric attitude. We do not generally recognize that we are motivated by the impulse to "view everything within the world in relationship to oneself, to be self-centered". We are innately egocentric.

The people who study such matters seem to conclude that the normal human reaction is generally irrationally egocentric. The military, I think, wishes to change that irrational egocentric behavior into an irrational sociocentric behavior with the military as the social group which replaces the individual ego.

It appears that the key question of an egocentric is "How can I get what I want and avoid having to change in any fundamental way?"
0 Replies