When does a life technically end?

Swimpy

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Irrelevant religious wrangling does get tedious, doesn't it, Swimpy?

Listening to you two squabble certainly is.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:32 pm
Without even asking the other party to reciprocate, I'll give it up in the interest of no further digressing this discussion with irrelevant inanity.

Just this discussion, mind you ...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:34 pm
Wotta big (mouthed) man...

Yeah, swimpy - I'll leave the thread alone, and sorry for the diversion....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:00 pm
To get all topical on y'all, TECHNICALLY, the "End of Life", in terms of animate organisms, most accurately is defined as the cessation of autonomous electrical activity within the systems of the organism at discussion. Ethico-philosophic postulates and such considerations as "quality of life" and "prospect of recovery" aside, once "the spark has gone out", "the spark" is gone. Technically.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:35 pm
snood wrote:
Lash wrote:
No. I'm using your post to talk to other people.

Hey, that's a cool trick - that way, you can rip me all you want, but you never have to be accountable for it, or responsible. Kinda childish and chicken, but smart...

You thought that was literal again, I see.

Once again, I claim 100% responsibility for everything I say.

I think you're confused.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:42 pm
Dyslexia, who wrote that? It's powerful, gripping.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:47 pm
Lash wrote:
snood wrote:
Lash wrote:
No. I'm using your post to talk to other people.

Hey, that's a cool trick - that way, you can rip me all you want, but you never have to be accountable for it, or responsible. Kinda childish and chicken, but smart...

You thought that was literal again, I see.

Once again, I claim 100% responsibility for everything I say.

I think you're confused.

I think you need to get laid... (as long as we're sharing what we think...)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:20 pm
You need a drink. (as long as we're saying what we think...) Laughing It would improve your personality drastically.

How bout a nice cold beer?

Nothing better on a hot, sultry day.

You know you want one.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:14 pm
Play nice. Life is short.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:58 pm
Tell ya what - I'll get laid, you have the beer.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:01 pm
Hahahahahah Laughing Cool Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:04 pm
I'm sure after you punch her a few times, you'll be back to the blow up doll.

We all aren't restricted to either/or.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:09 pm
Dang Lash, aren't you afraid you'll sink too low for even you?

You think anyone deserves that kind of stuff?

Is it becasue I said you need to get laid?

Frank Apisa told me the same thing months ago - y'know what? It was true. And it helped immensely.

Now you're saying I beat my woman, and sleep with a blowup doll. After a desperately cruel and depraved offer to a recovering alcoholic of a "frosty cold beer".

You realize how nasty and lowdown you look right now?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:17 pm
Not as low and nasty as you do.

My attempts to address the topic, and your inability to handle disagreement are wall to wall in here.

You initiate the personal, and cruise along happily saying the lowest crap imaginable, and then you can't handle when it's returned. I've never seen a grown man say such vicious things, and then whine when it comes back.

I suggest you think about it before you start it.

My references are no worse than yours. They just bother you more.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:15 pm
Lash wrote:

My attempts to address the topic, and your inability to handle disagreement are wall to wall in here.

You initiate the personal, and cruise along happily saying the lowest crap imaginable, and then you can't handle when it's returned. I've never seen a grown man say such vicious things, and then whine when it comes back.

You're delusional lady. I said to you on this thread "you need to get laid". You took that and ran into taunting me with alcohol, saying I beat my woman, and other choice stuff about a blowup doll. If you think "you need to get laid" is as vicious as what you've said on this thread, you're out of touch with reality.

Has it been that long, Lash?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:46 pm
(drumming fingers on table)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:56 pm
What am I gonna do, swimpy? She can't leave me alone! I think she's in love.....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:41 am
JLNobody wrote:
Dyslexia, who wrote that? It's powerful, gripping.

Jefferson Airplane; its on their '68 album Crown of Creation. I'm sure its out there as a current CD re-release.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:29 am
snood wrote:
Lash wrote:

You're delusional lady. I said to you on this thread "you need to get laid". You took that and ran into taunting me with alcohol, saying I beat my woman, and other choice stuff about a blowup doll. If you think "you need to get laid" is as vicious as what you've said on this thread, you're out of touch with reality.

For you, the subject matter is off limits. You are not welcomed to remark about my personal life, in your crass terms or in any other form. If you choose to-- expect the same. You don't fool anyone--your statements intentionally mock a death; therefore, nothing is off limits to me.

Have you noticed how many people you fight with? How many fights have you had this week?

How many people have told you you have an anger problem...? A personality problem? Maybe his will help:

Dry Drunk Syndrome
From Buddy T,
Your Guide to Alcoholism / Substance Abuse.

Not Drinking, But Not 'Of Sober Mind' Either

Unfortunately when many former drinkers go through the grieving process over the loss of their old friend, the bottle, some never get past the anger stage.

It is a very real loss. The drink has been their friend for many years and one they could count on. When the whole world turned against them, the bottle never let them down. It was always there ready for the good times, the celebrations, the parties, as well as the sad, mad, and lonely times, too.

Finally their old friend let them down... they got in trouble with the law, lost a job or career, almost lost their family, or the doctors told them they had to stop drinking... whatever the reason, the circumstances of their life brought them to the point where they made a decision to say "so long" to the bottle.

Whether they realized it or not, they began the stages of grieving -- denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance -- the same stages most people go through when they have a great loss in their lives or have been told they have a terminal illness.

First comes the denial -- it's really not that big a deal, I've always said I could quit anytime -- and then the anger and depression when they realize just how much that had come to depend on their old friend alcohol.

Many make it through the process to the final stage -- accepting the loss, learning and growing through the experience, and moving on.
Some never make it.

It's sad to see them, sometimes many years later, still stuck in their anger, bitterness, and resentment at having to make the change in their lives. They haven't had a drink in years, but they have also never had a "sober" day.

You even see them in the 12-step rooms... been in the program for years and years and their lives seem to be a constant unmanageable struggle. All those years and they have no more of a spiritual awakening than they did the first time they walked into the room.

"Dry Drunk" has been described as "A condition of returning to one's old alcoholic thinking and behavior without actually having taken a drink." Or as one wise old drunk put it, if a horse thief goes into A.A. what you can end up with is a sober horse thief. Or a personal favorite: you can take the rum out of the fruit cake, but you've still got a fruit cake!

Those who quit drinking but are still angry about it, wind up living miserable lives and usually make everyone else around them miserable too. If it has been said once in an Al-Anon meeting, it has been whispered thousands of times, "I almost wish he would go back to drinking."

Okay, I Don't Like It, Now What?

The simple answer to that question is to find something that you do like, but that is not always as easy as it sounds.

There is a theory that in order to fully recover from the effects of alcoholism, the alcoholic must replace the obsessive behaviors in his life with their spiritual opposites. Frankly, there are those who believe that without such spiritual help from a power greater than themselves, true recovery is impossible.
(*I see why you are desperately clinging to religion.)

The Alcoholics Anonymous program has championed this theory for many years to millions of "hopeless drunks" who are now living happy and sober lives. It's hard to argue with that record of success.
But beyond the spiritual side of recovery, there are other steps that can be taken to help make life fun again, without alcohol:
Develop a hobby. Take up gardening, start or expand a collection, build something, go fishing, or learn how to develop your own web pages! Try to find some activity to fill those leisure hours that you used to spend drinking.
Get healthy. All those years of drinking probably took some toll on your physical health. Join the YMCA, take up an exercise program or jogging, or play a sport. Get on some kind of regular (daily) improvement routine.
Improve your mind. It's never too late to learn new things. Get a library card, take a continuing education class, improve your job skills, or surf the 'Net.
Spend time with your family. Maybe you can't replace all those times that you neglected your wife and children while you were in the barrooms, but you can make a new start. Take your wife out to her favorite place, take the kids or grandchildren to the park, or start a project in which the entire family can participate.
Life doesn't have to be a miserable experience just because you quit drinking. There's a whole world out there for you to explore and learn about.
~~~~~~~~~~
Ask yourself why you're unable to speak rationally to a person with a different opinion without being personally abusive to them. Don't you think it's time to get on with the grieving process related to your alcoholism? And, maybe the first step should be admitting you've been drinking. I noticed the 14 year/ 16 year discrepancy you posted.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
Okay, Lash - I won't answer you anymore on this thread after this.
The folks trying to post about when life really ends don't deserve it, and you definitely aren't worth the time.

You dig your fangs as deep as you can into what you imagine me to be personally, but you somehow think you are above getting personal comments.

You went off the deep end because I said something - months ago - about your health, but since then you have said worse things about me, several times, and I have not returned in kind. If I had, we'd have all been reading about what I guess your sex life is like, your personal relationships, your mental health, etc. Do you notice you're the only one going there?

You use any excuse to dig as deep as your sad little mind will go, and try to hurt as deeply as you can.

You have no justification to speak of my recovery or personal life with my girlfriend. You are taking the consistently lower road, and I don't need to do anything but sit back and let you rant.

No one knows anyone well enough on this board well enough to have the kind of hatred that comes accross in your posts for me. I can only guess that for now, you need me to be that terrible man you keep trying to paint.

Maybe sometime soon you will get things in your life that will allow you to stop being so damn bitter.

The best I can do is to draw a line and not let you drag me into the gutter you seem to love.
0 Replies