Rainsoft problems...

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 11:31 am
Ok We have a rainsoft Q2 and are having problems with it. Water isn't going into the brine tank. I bought this thing in like '92, moved and left it with the house, well last Sept I moved back in and the tenants hadn't been using it ( thank God)... anyhow when I first fired it up I had a service guy come out and check it for me, he replaced the O rings and sheer pin. Well it's only been about what 8 months and now it's not working... When we discovered the other day it wasn't working the brine tank was half full and it was pretty nasty. So we thought maybe the salt wasn't disolving right and took it all apart and cleaned it out to no avail. I have tried unplugging and resetting the computer, manually cycling the system and am getting desperate. It will be over my dead body that I pay them to come out and charge me 100$ to change 5$ worht of parts. I've been reading lots of these postings and I think maybe the O-rings went bad again. Can you tell me how to check and what to check...
Thanks, Stephanie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,586 • Replies: 9
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm
Stephanie,

Chances are good that the rubber parts have dry rotted.
I would replace the O rings on the piston and the brine injector.
I would also replace the brine and drain tab along with any associated gaskets that are worn.
It's a good idea to re-seal the tri-guard at its base.

HTH ~

Kevin
0 Replies

cablechick13269

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
Ok, I need a crash course on how to get to the O rings, I watched the guy do it, but I don't remember how to take the thing apart.... God Love it , I didn't have any problems with this thing for years.... and if I'm gonna have to replace them every 8 mos. or so I guess I need to figure out how... Laughing
0 Replies

cablechick13269

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:13 pm
Hey guys,

I started taking this thing apart... I found the part that has the 3 o rings in it and it doesn't look bad. THe o rings are ok. I don't know what else to take apart !!!!!
HELP!!!!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
There is a brass screw cap with a single slot cut in it.
It is located on the valve before the outlet pipe exits the valve.
Remove this cap and you will find a black plastic straw.
This is the brine injector. It has two tiny O rings that must
be replaced. Needle nose plyers can be used to pull the
injector straight up. WARNING: Be very gentle - it will break.

Once you get it out replace the O rings add a little lube and re-install.

Post or email me pictures if you need more details.
0 Replies

satman67

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:39 pm
get rid of the rainsoft first of all, try kinetico.com the best in the market with a ten year warranty, the site will tell you where you can find the nearest dealer. rainsoft uses equipment that they have used for years with no improvements. if you dont believe me go to nsf.org click on consumers you can check what your problems is and what system will fix it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:47 pm
I swear to God, every couple of months one of these damn Rainsoft threads will appear and H20 man will appear from nowhere. A sort of superhero figure of the the water softener world.

The commissioner of the water softener must have heard cablechick's scream for help and said, "Quickly, summon H2Oman!'

Then, racing to a window an assistant snaps on the switch of the powerful light that projects an image of a water softener over the city.

In the H2O cave, H20 man begins to don his uniform and yells for his assistant to start the H20 car.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:48 am
http://www.athenswater.com/images/H2OMAN_HERO.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:00 am
gotta love it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:02 pm
So when the new-and-improved A2K appears this fall, will the Home Improvement section be renamed "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Water Softeners"?
0 Replies