Bodies/The Exhibition

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:39 am
If you live in London, Las Vegas, New York, Atlanta or Tampa, you must see this exhibit. It is totally unlike anything that I have ever seen.

This person described it better than I ever could:

http://www.epinions.com/content_229025746564

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html

Don't miss the videos which gives you an idea of what the exhibit is like.

Have any of you seen this? What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,321 • Replies: 12
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:49 am
Is this the same as Gunther Von Hagens Bodies Exhibition?I cant see any names connected to it.

Ive not seen it.I was tempted but wasnt sure how Id react once i was there so chickened out.Tho i have watched Dr Hagens autopsys on TV.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
I'll definately check out the videos when I have a bit more time later. I wish this exhibit was coming near me so I could see it. Here's to hoping. It looks facinating.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
What a completely brilliant way to start my day! Thank you, Phoenix.

I would love to see that show. The videos are well worth watching - I thought it was cool that it gave people such an awareness of themselves and the incredible structure they inhabit.

Mo would so totally dig this. Just last week he got to see an x-ray of his hand and he was completely mesmerized.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:59 am
material girl wrote:
Is this the same as Gunther Von Hagens Bodies Exhibition?I cant see any names connected to it.

Ive not seen it.I was tempted but wasnt sure how Id react once i was there so chickened out.Tho i have watched Dr Hagens autopsys on TV.

It looks similar, but it is not the same.

Maybe I am a bit blase in my "old age", but I did not feel a bit of squeamishness, just fascination. There were a number of young children there, and they were asking intelligent questions of their parents. For Pete's sake, a few years ago I used to watch a show on TV where they performed real operations on people!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:04 am
Im glad people like it but it annoys me.
If this is a different exhibition to Hagens it seems to be totally accepted.
There was a big controversial hooha over Von Hagens, why all of a sudden is it ok??!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:07 am
MG- I wouldn't go to anything that annoyed me. You might want to think about WHY it annoys you, though!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:18 am
Because when Hagens started exhibiting his work the media thought it was inhumane/inappropriate/wrong etc and slated it.(the public liked it)
Yet this new exhibition (which Im sure I saw advertised in the paper) seems to be happening without a hitch, not 1 negative word has been said.
Its the hypocrisy that annoys me, not the exhibitions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:50 am
That has got to be the coolest f-in thing I've ever seen.

I want to go so bad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
Besides von Hagen's "Body World", there are now "Body Exploration", "Bodies Revealed", "Mysteries of the Human Body" and "The Universe Within" as similar shows on tour worldwide.

China, with 2,000 to 3,000 excecutions per year, can supply even more.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:56 pm
The work that was done with dissecting these bodies is remarkable. I think that for young people, this exhibit may open an interest in biology and anatomy that no textbook ever could.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:18 pm
I recently saw a news story about it - by the way they are looking for donations according to the news report.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:30 pm
Re: Bodies/The Exhibition
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If you live in London, ...

At least the London show has to stop at end of August, since they don't get a licence according to the Human Tissue Act. (Under the Human Tissue Act, public display of a whole body, body parts, or tissue also requires the consent of the person to whom it belongs, whether they are living or deceased.)

Due to similar laws, this show can't be seen in various other European countries. (Same for a couple of similar shows.)
0 Replies