I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING PADDIES

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:47 pm
She'll want Thai food, then Dim Sum, then Greek food . . . and then . . . who knows . . .

(I no longer take strong drink, so no porter for me, thankee . . . )
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:47 pm
Mmmmmm, I like feta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:49 pm
I like lamb, artichoke hearts and garlic-marinated yogurt, i just don't remember the Greek name for it now . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:50 pm
Where's cav or jerry when you need them? Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:52 pm
(for the record, "feta" meant to pertain to "feted" -- not fetid or set's ill-timed mention of greek food. mmmm, greek food. makes me miss this man, who once commended my happy belly and made me dance on my birthday -- though not with table in mouth, as he is wont to do...
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/08.21.02/gifs/dining-0234.jpg

)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:53 pm
name for the yogurt stuff, ior the whole dish?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:28 pm
tzatziki for the dish

now what's that dish - that sort of greek shepherd's pie-y thing - moussaka?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:35 pm
Moussaka has eggplant. There's another one that's like Greek lasagne that's really good...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:37 pm
Moussaka would be ground spiced lamb layered with roasted eggplant and topped with bechamel, baked in a casserole. I am not certain what Set is referring to re: lamb and artichokes, but it could be a number of things, or perhaps he just likes lamb and artichoke hearts with tzatziki...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:05 pm
Pasticchio is the dish I was thinking of that reminds me of Greek lasagne. Layers of ground beef, pasta, bechamel. Yum!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:13 pm
Naw, there's a specific dish of lamb in a strong garlic-yogurt sauce with artichoke hearts . . . in fact, a guy who gave me a ride from the auto rental office to my mechanic turned out to be Cypriot, and he knew what i meant immediately, and told me the name . . . i just fergotted it . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:25 pm
recipesource.com is leaving me hung out to dry...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:52 pm
Breaking news:

NEW DISEASE BREAKOUT - B.A.R.S.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has just issued an urgent warning about BARS (Beer & Alcohol Requirement Syndrome). A newly identified problem has spread rapidly throughout the world. The disease, identified as BARS (Beer & Alcohol Requirement Syndrome) affects people of many different ages. Believed to have started in Ireland in 1500 BC, the disease seems to affect people who congregate in Pubs and Taverns or who just congregate. It is not known how the disease is transmitted but approximately three billion people world-wide are affected, with thousands of new cases appearing every day.

Early symptoms of the disease include an uncontrollable urge at 6:00pm to consume a beer or alcoholic beverage. This urge is most keenly felt on Fridays. More advanced symptoms of the disease include talking loudly, singing off-key, aggression, heightened sexual attraction/confidence (even towards fuglies), uncalled for laughter, uncontrollable dancing and unprovoked arguing. In the final stages of the disease, victims are often cross-eyed, and speak incoherently. Vomiting, loss of memory, loss of balance, loss of clothing and loss of virginity can also occur.

Sometimes death ensues, usually accompanied by the victim shouting, "Hey Fred, bet you can't do this!" or "Wanna see how fast it goes??"

If you develop any of these symptoms, it is important that you quarantine yourself in a pub with fellow victims until last call or all the symptoms have passed. Sadly, it is reported that the disease can reappear at very short notice or at the latest, on the following Friday. Side effects for survivors include bruising, broken limbs, lost property, killer headaches and divorce On the up side, there is not, and probably never will be, a permanent cure.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:43 pm
Cav -- I loved it. Copies have been sent far and wide. Joviality will be rampant. You have my word as an expert.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:46 pm
Looked briefly at a flier advertising money for subjects for a drinking study. It required moderate drinking for a month. I wanted the money, but I didn't like the idea of cutting back...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:00 am
Here is some info about Bono and his support for the Bush administration:

His charm lies in the fact that, whether he's at an audience with Pope John Paul II or singing "Beautiful Day" for 20,000 fans, his need to communicate is palpable. There was a time when Bono harangued the world -- "Am I bugging you?" he would spit at U2 fans, all the while making it clear that he didn't give a damn if he was. A decade later he has learned a more effective path: "Sometimes, instead of climbing over the barricades, you've got to walk around them, and sometimes you discover that the real enemy is not what you think it is," he says. That attitude has led to some strange-seeming bedfellows, chief among them Senator Jesse Helms, the 80-year-old archconservative from North Carolina, who became Bono's champion in the struggle to get a debt-relief plan through Congress. According to Bono, "When I first started going to Washington for meetings on Capitol Hill, I'm sure I looked like a very exotic creature, but eventually they didn't see me, they just saw the argument. And the thing about the pictures of me the rock star with, say, Jesse Helms the politician is -- it's really unhip for both of us, you know, it's a bad look for the two of us!"

While the other guys in U2 may find it incredibly unsexy to have the likes of Orrin Hatch or Paul Volcker hanging backstage, Bono knows that power is not always pretty. ("Just the sight of Orrin Hatch in the mosh pit...it's exciting," Bono says, and you can't tell if he means it or not.) "I think that politicians are attracted at first by the celebrity," says Harvard economics professor Jeffrey Sachs, "but once they meet him, they find that he is outstandingly capable." Along with producer Bobby Shriver, Sachs became part of Bono's American kitchen cabinet in 1999 in the quest to get debt relief on the agenda. In his Class Day address at Harvard in June, Bono summed up the trio: "Sachs and I, with Bobby Shriver, hit the road like some kind of surreal crossover act. A Rock Star, a Kennedy, and a Noted Economist crisscrossing the globe like the Partridge family on psychotropic drugs."

The results have already been impressive: In November of 2000, Congress passed legislation authorizing $435 million in debt relief. Last July, President Bush and the G8 countries focused the debate on issuing grants rather than loans to developing nations, and Bono is sure a lot more is about to happen. "I'm confident that President Bush has a real feeling for the AIDS pandemic. Essentially, what we're asking for is a kind of Marshall Plan for Africa. A few months ago that didn't look like a possibility, but post-September 11, the comparisons are striking. When you have nothing, you are easy prey to terrorists and to groups who keep alive the lie that the West is not interested in your calamity. We've just seen what happens when one country, Afghanistan, implodes. God knows what will happen if the entire continent of Africa is left on its current trajectory, which is disaster."

Bob Geldof has also gone on record to say that the Bush administration has been "brilliant" in terms of actually giving billions of dollars to fight AIDS and hunger in Africa. On Clinton, Sir Bob said he talked a lot, but did nothing. If the Irish can turn Republicans into humanitarians, I suppose they can do anything...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:44 am
Say...just thinking...isn't it a bit ironic that Catholocism in Ireland both encourages young ladies to give up the butt to stay virgins, and is also the basis for outlawing homosexuality there to this day?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:50 am
No.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:52 am
Conservative catholicism wishes we all the anatomies of Ken and Barbie, so i rather think it disingenuous to suggest that it encourages anal sex. I had little contact with homosexuals on my trips to the old island, although they were not hidden, necessarily. They have their preferred haunts, which everyone knows about, and even those who are offended leave them alone. Laws on homosexuality and any other forms of sexual practice are basically dead letters--no effort is made at enforcement. Abortion continues to be an issue because of the death grip the church tries to maintain on the island, and because it is not something which occurs in the privacy of one's home.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:21 am
I'll bow to that then...
0 Replies