I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING PADDIES

margo

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 09:27 pm
mikey52 wrote:
i can't help myself...

'pragmatic lot' Margo?

you mean as in exiled Irish horse thieves, no?

and he seemed like such a nice boy! Confused Crying or Very sad

Yeah -- but we're pragmatic about it!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 09:32 pm
Mikey are you saying the sins of the father are passed on to the son? If so are we taking into account the length of time thet has passed. That's a lot of generations that have passed to carry on the tradition.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 09:37 pm
well, as far as sins bein passed on they are in my family and that's a fact. well documented i might add,,,,,,

just stirrin up the pot a bit and tryin to keep Margo on her toes is all,,,,,

as usual.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 10:38 pm
Anyone here ever seen a real, live Leprechaun?

I mean it... Every once in a while I meet someone who swears up and down they saw an elf, a sprite, or some little 8-inch high person run off underneath the bushes.

The first thing they say is "I'm absolutely not the type of person to see things, but ..." or they say "You're gonna think I'm totally crazy, but ...". Once they realize I'm simply curious, we talk about it, theorize about different possible explanations, but in the end conclude they saw something and that's that.

It's the event itself that is really interesting. Judging people, or judging the reality of what they saw, is completely besides the point. The situation of the event, it's unfolding, character and meaning are far more curious and interesting than making judgements about it.

So how about it? Any curious observations out there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 05:31 am
Bobsmyth is applying an old and incorrect stereotype about the "fatal shore." Stealing a horse would likely have gotten you hung; stealing a ha'penny handkerchief was also a hanging offense, but was usually commuted to incarceration in the hulks, and often this was followed by transportation. This occurred to Irish, English, Scots and Welsh, as the poor and the working class were ground down under laws which were written by propertied men to protect property--more than 150 hanging offenses in 1788. But more than that, many, if not most, of the Irish were from among the "Boys of '98," Wolfe Tone's United Irish (although it was usually the catholics who got transported, not the protestants), just as many of the English sent to Oz were, or were alleged to be, Chartists and Luddites. For all that many "common criminals" were sent out there, political activists headed the list of undesirables disposed of in this manner. And if, in that philosophy, the sins of the fathers are to be visited upon the sons, than we'll have a lot of that here, as well. The penal colony was established because the successful American Revolution prevented the English from sending their convicts to Virginia and Maryland and other former colonies, as had been done in the past. In fact, Oglethorpe established Georgia as a penal colony.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:52 pm
Now - let me set the record straight! I ain't never stolen an 'orse!

A cuppla small ponies, a tiara, several linen hankies, loaves of bread, some hearts, and a few bitz'n'pieces - but never an 'orse! An I doan think me dad did either - there weren't no 'orses in the stuff the warder gave me after they shoot 'im!

bobsmyth - tha noive!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:54 pm
No question about it--noive I got.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:56 pm
I may regret this but-

bookmark
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:42 am
Nice going, McTag. You killed it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:58 am
Why does that always happen to me?

Boo-hoo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:03 pm
Now then, buck up, boyo . . .

I was just feignin' death in the hope that someone would be inspired to start a wake . . . lovely idea that, but it's grossly unfair that you have to die before the party . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:07 pm
...failing irishness myself, i'm hoping that somebody down in new orleans will see fit to organize a jazz funeral when i go. hmmm. maybe i need some help in understanding cajuns...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:11 pm
Setanta wants a party? hmmmm, my birthday is comin' up. I'm available to be feted and fested about. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:11 pm
Here ya go (not responsible for accuracy of content):

Jumbalaya and de crawfish fine
In de Gumbo
For tonight i'm agonna see my machazamio
Old guitar, filled fruit jar, me-o-my-o
Son of a gun, we're gonna have big fun
On de Bay-oh . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:22 pm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:26 pm
ma chère amie--my dear friend, but, in context, my dear beloved . . . there is no distinction in French between friend and beloved--just the word ami(e), which derives from aimer, to like or to love, depending upon context . . .

Fruit jar most definitely does refer to the real old mountain dew . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:36 pm
Pirogue is also a Louisana side dish of hollowed out vegetables such as mirliton and zucchini, filled with a variety of stuffings, named after the boat.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:41 pm
Can you never cease to amaze me. Before your head gets too big remember I'm easily amazed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:42 pm
Baby i'm amazed at the way you love me all the time
Baby i'm amazed at the way i really need you . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:45 pm
Soooo...Bethie-poo wants to be feted, Irish-style!?

I know it involves the consumption of several pints of Guinness, followed by a couple more....but I can't remember what else :wink:

Or perhaps that's all there is Confused
0 Replies