Super-cheap tickets in the Midwest

sozobe

Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
I don't really get how stand-by and such works. I just tried doing some research and didn't really get anywhere. So I'm turning to nice warm fuzzy human logic.

Here's the situation: My parents live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minnesota). I live in Columbus, Ohio. I'm interested in finding out how I can cheaply visit my parents. There are a lot of Columbus --> MSP flights, and sozlet and I are quite flexible, time-wise. We would be able, in theory, to check what's available frequently and hop on a plane within a few hours. My parents would both prefer a planned-in-advance trip but would be happy with whatever works, so if it's a last-minute trip for cheap vs. nothing, they'd prefer the former.

If cheap hotel is bundled, that would be even better as if I'm springing on them I'd prefer to have a back-up plan for lodging, though they'd probably each be OK with having us stay with them (divorced, two different houses).

What do I do to get started?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,433 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed
No top replies

Charli

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:59 am
Fly Stand-By Sites
There are many "Fly Stand-By" sites. We used to get newsletters from a similar program run by one of our credit card companies. We didn't use it, but we always read everything, planned, and dreamed. I can't remember all of the details. So, look at some of the selections on the search below. Maybe the Yahoo site (about number seven on the list)?

FLY STAND-BY

Keep us posted. Good luck! Smile Smile Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:38 am
Hi Charli, thanks!

I think one of my main problems in trying to figure this out is that I must have the terms wrong. I had already googled "stand-by", and found that same stuff, but it seems to all be about changing WHEN you fly once you've already bought your tickets... not about GETTING cheap tickets.

I'm fairly certain that there is something where, if you're willing and able to be extremely flexible -- like, check [something], then hop on a plane within a few hours or a day, no further advance notice -- you can get tickets very cheaply. "Stand-by" doesn't seem to be what that thing is called. Does anyone know what it IS called, or what I'm talking about? If so, specific links would be much appreciated.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:41 am
I am willing to wager that your parents live in Apple Valley, soz.

Or Burnsville?

Wayzata?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
I just can't picture your parents living in Minneapolis.

Too crime-ridden.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
House or condo?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:43 am
So many questions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:44 am
Pttthhhht...!

I'm a city kid, no 'burbs for me. (My parents actually each have moved away from where I grew up, though -- where I used to live was never hoity-toity but has gotten pretty rough.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:46 am
Have your parents met sozlet?

Do they accept her?
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:46 am
Just barely.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:50 am
soz wrote:

I'm a city kid, no 'burbs for me. (My parents actually each have moved away from where I grew up, though -- where I used to live was never hoity-toity but has gotten pretty rough

There are no parts of Minneapolis that are "rough".

One of the wimpiest cities I have ever encountered.

I would not feel uncomfortable walking through any neighborhood in that city at three in the morning.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
Soz--

I know using the telephone is difficult. Have you checked to see whether it is possible to e-mail airlines about their Stand By policy. Perhaps the problem would be covered on line in the FAQ's.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:48 pm
Not sure if this is what your looking for - but many airlines offer last minute type travel. For example, I signed up with United and they email me upcoming weekend specials - basically flights that haven't been fully booked, so they want to sell out the plane and offer lower prices. You should be able to look at any airline website for last minute flights. United also will offer hotel deals with it. I imagine the other major airlines do the same thing
0 Replies

Charli

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
Here you go . . .
Here you go . . .

LAST MINUTE TRAVEL

Happy travels! Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:17 pm
Hi Charli, I'm really looking for something beyond the results of Google searches! :-D I'd done that, too. But, for example, is the first link there reliable? Etc.

Linkat, that sounds promising. I googled "stand-by" and "last-minute travel" and "cheap tickets" and a few other things, but "stand-by" is the only thing I looked for on individual airlines' websites, so I'll try looking for "last-minute" on their websites (Northwest, United, etc.) Southwest (another one I tried when I was in search mode) doesn't have a direct Columbus -- MSP connection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:09 pm
There, have found something more specific that looks pretty good:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/deals/inside/2005-02-23-column_x.htm

Site59 seems the most promising of those listed, but nothing that looks really good there. ($300/ ea is about the best price, and $600 before hotel is WAY more than I want to spend.)

Southwest has some amazing deals going on ($39 one way) but not Columbus --> MN. Hmph.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:44 pm
OK, this looks good:

http://www.itn.net/cgi/get?unpub_inq*itn/ord=NEWREC,itn/air/efare

If that link doesn't stay live, it's about "E-fares":

Quote:
Special deals
Domestic & International E-Fares
Last minute air fares priced to go.

Right now there is nothing, it says to check Tuesdays.

That's definitely the kind of thing I had in mind. Check Tuesday morning, find something insane, book, on the plane that afternoon.
0 Replies

Charli

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:42 pm
The link doesn't work straight away . . .
The link doesn't work straight away . . . I copied it off the efares web page. Well, tomorrow is Tuesday. Let us know how this works out for you. Again, good luck! Smile

http://www.itn.net/cgi/get?unpub_inq*itn/ord=NEWREC,itn/air/efare

This one doesn't "work" either. You have to copy-and-paste it into your Browser - or the "Open" selection in the "File" pull-down menu.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:59 pm
Right, it's the exact same link. ;-)

I'll just get it off the United page tomorrow (or tonight, if I'm up late enough!)
0 Replies

hamburger

Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:12 pm
soz :
ehbeth has been able to get some cheap - shall we say : lower priced flights - on air canada .
i think the way it works is that you have to find out when each airline puts flights on sale on their websites .
i'll pm ehbeth and ask her to tell you how it works .
hbg
0 Replies