Does Art Need to Be Dark to be Taken Seriously?

Vivien

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:55 am
Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Regretfully, FB's characterization of American (NORTH American) art is painfully correct. Any culture that finds value in Warhol or Koons is a grossly immature culture. I would call them Los Pinchechistosos.

JLN, I'm always so glad to hear you say that about Warhol, et al. I really just never understood what was supposed to be so clever about soup cans and the whole pop art thang, and I felt like it meant I didn't "get" art.

I was at a nearby museum last week, and saw that they'd put a Warhol on the cover of a pamphlet-- I thought, "Gawd, more of that stuff. I don't get what the fuss is..." and was preparing to kick myself for it once again-- then reminded myself, "JL feels the same! It's not just me! Whew!" Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:14 pm
Warhol and all the descendants of Marcel Duchamp are practitioners of anti-art. To them words such as aesthetic, beauty, design, expression, sublime are anathema--and it shows.
0 Replies