Pre-Broadway Tryouts

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:30 pm
Hi,

This question may be a little vague, but any and all information would be helpful.

I'm interested in learning about how an original show -- be it a play, a musical, et cetera -- gets to Broadway. I've found there is very little information around about how Pre-Broadway tryouts work. How does an original show book an engagement, change cities, replace cast members, book a NYC theatre, rehearse, change the show? Who is involved? What does it entail? What happens once a show gets to New York? Really I have no one specific question, but any information you can give me on original shows and their journey to Broadway would be of great interest.

Thanks for your help,
-- Ed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,469 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:33 pm
You pose some interesting questions. I have actually written for a Broadway show but never questioned how it got there! I worte for "Suessical the Musical" which originally starred David Shiner but was replaced by the totally miscast Rosie O'Donnell. I stopped working for them when that happened.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 04:49 pm
Nick, I never knew you worked on Seussical. I saw it in previews and loved it. Kevin Chamberlin blew me away.

Hawley, I've worked on lots of original scripts, mostly at regional theaters. Goodspeed Opera House has sent lots of shows to B'way, for instance. I was an intern there in 1982. I never worked in NYC, though. All my experience was as a stage manager in regional theater.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 05:26 pm
I think you're talking about the rule of a Producer--and the first job of a Producer is to get some money together.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 08:06 pm
Let me put it this way. David Shiner was a great Cat in the Hat. Rosie turned the whole thing into a farce. She wanted parts of the show re-written because she couldn't do the physical stuff. Nuthin worse than a Fat Cat!
0 Replies