Surnames?

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 07:26 pm
Ok, I looked at the census and can't make much out but I don't think that word is Anabai (and I have no idea what the column headers are). The 'A' in Arkansas elsewhere on the document is different from the first letter of that word. That said, I have no idea what it is.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:45 pm
Quote:
Place of birth makes more sense. I looked all over for an Anabai, and the only thing I can find is some oil fields in Kazakhstan. I hope you don't mind all the input, I do love a good mystery and really can't help but diging myself.

Freeduck...dig all you want!!!! I need all the help I can get to figure this out...its been something that I have wanted to know for a long time now...so does my family.

I appreciate the help..........
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:47 pm
The Column headers are....

Top column says: Person/ Father/ Mother
Then underneath it is says: Place of birth/ native tongue..in each of the columns under Person...yadda yadda....

For some reason I had them twisted around backwards....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:50 pm
Ok...I think your right...lol, I think the A..is actually a R....

Rusbaie? Rasdie? I can't understand it.......gRRRRRR
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:02 pm
Re: Surnames?
makemeshiver33 wrote:
What I have come up with is:

Ducret
Dysart
Deysart
Deysurt
Degroot
Dosart
Ducret
Dessart
Duchart
Dausha
Dausnik

Wow, thats a wide variety of names. Degroot is Dutch. Deysart sounds Flemish somehow. Ducret and Duchart sound French. Dausha or Dausnik - but here I'm in unfamiliar territory - could conceivably be Slavic, or Baltic, or Slavicized (the "-nik") Baltic. (NOT that I'm particularly knowledgeable about any of this).

Now "Dauszkurt" (you wrote that you found a Stanley Dauszkurt) - that sounds like it could have some Lithuanian/Baltic root.. I went to look whether dausz- is the root of Lithuanian words, and there is a verb that starts with "dauž" - namely, daužyti (daužo, daužė), which means to break, crush or smash ("crusher"?). (There's a Lithuanian-English dictionary here)

The lithuaniangenealogy.org database of names FreeDuck linked in has a "Dauska" as well as the Dauksa she mentions - and from Dauska to Dauszkurt isnt a big step. The list of "other surnames being researched" that pops up on that site also mentions a "Daukszas", confirming that "sz" did/does occur in Lithuanian.

Anabai as place of birth could also make a lot of sense in that context -- because about every second town name in Lithuania ends in -ai. (See this map, for example).

Then again, if there were some Lithuanian root, you'd expect your questions at JewishGen might have yielded something, their lithuanian SIG is a good source .. (ok, it once published a book review of mine, so i think they're good ;-))
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:28 pm
Wow....Thank you Nimh............

Quote:
Wow, thats a wide variety of names. Degroot is Dutch. Deysart sounds Flemish somehow. Ducret and Duchart sound French. Dausha or Dausnik - but here I'm in unfamiliar territory - could conceivably be Slavic, or Baltic, or Slavicized (the "-nik") Baltic. (NOT that I'm particularly knowledgeable about any of this).

Yeah...I used the Soundex convertor to try to find names that were similiar in spelling or sound.....to try to find a base to my surname.

And...I use Ancestry.com alot, when you using the soundex on there, those are alot of the names that have come up......but I think that thing is about half whacked...lol, I do not get how you'd come up with "Daughtery"...or "Desjardin" from "Douskurt".........

Quote:
Now "Dauszkurt" (you wrote that you found a Stanley Dauszkurt)

I can't find the Census that I found that on now to save my life...bout par for the course...

Quote:
Then again, if there were some Lithuanian root, you'd expect your questions at JewishGen might have yielded something, their lithuanian SIG is a good source

They were helpful to some extent......as in pointing out some links to search, but no one has any idea on the name...lol

Ya know...I understand that back then people were more likely to be illiterate, and some just didn't care how names were read, or if they were readable....but I can not fathom one man existing without anymore trace than what I have of him.........There has got to be someone in this world with this last name other than the few that are left.....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:36 pm
Perhaps you could try here?

Lithuania Genealogy Forum

There's a bunch of other useful links at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ltuwgw/ : Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society, Lithuanian Genealogical Research, Rootsweb Message Board for Lithuania.

If you're ever in Chicago (hey, there's another link), the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture has "the largest Lithuanian resource center outside Lithuania" and "a genealogist of Lithuanian ancestry and is available to answer questions" - see this announcement, also on Rootsweb

Rootsweb offers this list of mailinglists; unfortunately, the one listed on top, BALT-L, was amazing, but folded a few years ago after 15 years of great discussion, news, community and personal histories <sighs>. But these ones sound topical:

Quote:
LithuanianGenealogy. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lithuania. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lithuaniangenealogy/ [..]

LithuanianGenealogyGroup. An interactive group for anyone interested in their Lithuanian heritage. [..] You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lithuaniangenealogygroup/.

LITVAKSIG. A mailing list for anyone interested in the preservation and computerization of primary sources of genealogical data for the descendants of the Lithuanian Jewish community. [You know this one already I guess, it's the one at jewishgen.org]

litwa.bialours. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in their ancestors who lived in Lithuania or Belarus. Additional information can be found on the Genealogical Mailing List "Lithuania & Belarus website. To subscribe send the following to [email protected]: subscribe

Hmm.. there's another list of Lithuanian surnames here, with explanations, but nothing directly recognizable..

Also, here's the Lithuanian State Historical Archives on Genealogy Research.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:38 am
DANG NIMH.......you come in pretty handy!! Thank you....Thank you.... Laughing

I have a question...lol

Should I stick with the Dacart spelling, or go with the Dauskurt or Douskurt. Since I feel that the latter one is a complete rewrite of the name I should skip that one....and work with the first two right?

One more question...lol

Quote:

Well about the question....lol, you see my problem now...lol

Which ending would I apply........? It was said to have a "vich" sound at the end.

I going to try all those links...Thanks Nimh!!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
Quote:
There are better shots than Dauks^as.
They are: Dauskartas, Dauskartiene (married woman), Dauskartaite (unmarried female);
Dauskurtas, Dauskurtiene, Dauskurtaite;
Dauskurdas, Dauskurdiene, Dauskurdaite;
Dauskurdis, Dauskurdiene, Dauskurdyte.
There are people with those surnames still living. You can find them in Lith. phone book www.takas.lt .
Hope this helps.

This was a reply I had through the Lithuanian Genealogy Forum, I had forgotten that I have been in there...lol

The name I found on the Census was not the one I listed earlier, it was Daukszas...this was her reply to my question....I had about the last name I found. And....it was a 1910 Census......
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Which ending would I apply........? It was said to have a "vich" sound at the end.

-vich is a Russian name ending. That doesnt necessarily mean your ancestor was Russian though: Lithuania, like a bunch of places, was part of the Russian empire back in the time when he emigrated to America. Many people took on (or "were taken on") Russianized versions of their name...

Thing is, I have no idea where the ending -kurt could be from... doesnt sound familiar. Edit: saw your last post, from the LithGen forum - "Dauskurtas", now that's not far from "Dauszkurt" at all!

I dont see why anyone but a Lithuanian would be carrying around a Lithuanian-language Bible, at that time - it's not a language many non-Lithuanians would speak, especially not at the time, when it was part of the Russian empire. The language is not related to any other, and all the assimilatory forces were the other way round at the time - for Lithuanians to Russify or even Policize.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 04:18 pm
Quote:
Thing is, I have no idea where the ending -kurt could be from... doesnt sound familiar. Edit: saw your last post, from the LithGen forum - "Dauskurtas", now that's not far from "Dauszkurt" at all!

I can't imagine where the -kurt come from either, I think that just got changed over time.

I worked on this today for a couple of hours, I was getting hits on the Dauskurtas surname, it was showing sports related articles in the Baltic area. And I got hits on the Dauskurdas name....but I don't remember any hits on the other one's I've tried. I even went and run through Ancestry....each name...nothing, but the Dauskurtas I think......

Quote:
I dont see why anyone but a Lithuanian would be carrying around a Lithuanian-language Bible, at that time - it's not a language many non-Lithuanians would speak, especially not at the time, when it was part of the Russian empire. The language is not related to any other, and all the assimilatory forces were the other way round at the time - for Lithuanians to Russify or even Policize.

I don't see anyone but a Lithuanian carrying around a Lithuanian Bible either. After all the reading I have done on Lithuanian surnames, the chances of finding it are probably somewhat slim to none. Seems that the majority of them changed their surnames, so that doesn't help.

And let me remind myself that I've been searching for this one man for 12-13 years and no luck...\

BUT........

He does have one daughter still living, My Great Aunt Vicky...so I'm planning on trying to take a trip to see her soon, my mother said she's still sharp as a tack, and she's 92 years old. No one thinks to ask her about Stanley when they visit.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:14 pm
Ok...lol, after a long break to write a 1400 word essay on Homeland Security...I'm back.......whoopee!

I just finished another search using the Lithuanian Phonebook....this is what I have....

Daškaitė
B. Bulikos g. 5-3, Jiezno sen. , Jiezno m

Daškauskas
Gudžiūnų k. , Veliuonos sen. , Jurbarko raj.

Daškevič
Tarnėnų k. , Pagirių sen. , Vilniaus raj
Taikos g. 79-74, Vilniaus m
Genių g. 3-83, Vilniaus m. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Whats this telling me?

Daskevičienė
Daskevičius
Daškevičiūtė
Daškienė
Daškievič
Daškina
Daškova

Dausevič
Dausevičius
Dauskurdas
Dauskurdienė
Dauskurdytė
Dauskurdis
Dauskurtaitė

Duškesas
Duškevič
Duškevičius

Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:42 am
That your GGF might well be Lithuanian? Razz

From the names in your original post (Douskrt, Duskart, Douskurt), I'd say that the names starting with Dauskur* in this list are the closest - but then I know nothing about etinomology (not even how to spell it) or the Lithuanian language... (but just to throw in an irrelevancy, in Dutch, ou = au)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:18 pm
Quote:
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Whats this telling me?

That your GGF might well be Lithuanian? Razz

Ya reckon? lol Thats about all I have figured out... :wink:

I think I'm beginning to love Nickfun's answer...."Smith", it would certainly be easier to pick one of them, versus one that seems not real.

Thinking back to when I first started working on my lineage, I spent many afternoons in a library.. I was so impressed to find anything to work with, then it become easier to find it online...which impressed me further.

Since then..I've managed to put together several lines back to the early 1500's w/some that are talked about in history books. I have learned one thing, genealogy is likened to a giant spider web.

For instance, working on my mothers side, I found my married name 5 generations back, listed as a maiden name for a Grandmother. lol

Reading Cenus's taken, I have found not only one G-Grandfather that I never thought I would find...and found him by accident, because I was looking to find my husbands G-Grandfather, come to find out...they were nieghbors.

And...on another Census, I not only found this missing Grandfather that I'm questioning now, but found my sister-in-laws G-Grandfather...they could never find anything on...lol They were neighbors...lol

Anyway.............fun...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:45 pm
I'm always amazed when people go deep down in the various sidelines.

I just know the straight line of my father's side (nearly completely from 1540 onwards, a couple of sources earlier, down to 1287).

It would be more intersting to look at father's mother's site - German until 12th century, than immigrating to Holland, some going back to Germany in 14th century), but actually that's not "my" family :wink:
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:23 pm
Quote:
I'm always amazed when people go deep down in the various sidelines.

LOL, I have went down many various side lines.

One line that I worked on, I found most of it finished for me, it has over 13,000 ancestors in order. Those 13,000 come from one man! He arrived here in 1700 or so, and in the last 300 years we have multiplied heavily...lol Its impressive to say the least...

Quote:
I just know the straight line of my father's side (nearly completely from 1540 onwards, a couple of sources earlier, down to 1287).

It would be more intersting to look at father's mother's site - German until 12th century, than immigrating to Holland, some going back to Germany in 14th century), but actually that's not "my" family

Its all interesting I feel.........
0 Replies