A short poem of sorts...

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 05:49 pm
HE'S AN ENGLISHMAN DOING AN AMERICAN ACCENT

He's an Englishman,
Doing an American accent,
Which means he's gonna use "gonna" a lot.

He's gonna use "wanna" every bit as much,
And "gotta" will be working overtime, too;
As will the double negatives.

If you are an Englishman,
And want to do an American accent,
A great sentence to practice would be:

"I don't wanna be no party pooper,
but I gotta be home by 10,
so I'm gonna go now."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 949 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
If he's doing Texan, he has to be "fixing" to do something.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
I know a guy who likes to do American accents. Whenever he wishes to say something really stupid he gets all Texan. He seems to think that doing this gives his utterances more credibilty than they otherwise deserve.

He's probably a John Wayne fan. He does mince a bit now I think about it when he walks across a wide floor with all eyes upon him.

Did John Wayne have piles?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:49 pm
What does John Wayne have to do with Texans?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
I have recently finished reading a book, written by John Wayne's grandson, Louie, and Louie claims that the Duke was not only a pedophile, but also dabbled in bestiality.

I could care less if the Duke went after the kids, but there only so many sheep in this world.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:58 pm
Well, that, Gus, but aside from those things, what has he got in common with Texans?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:52 pm
Edgar, I have long felt that you are the personification of Texas, and that the Tom Delays and George Bushes of the world merely are placed here to soil your image and project a tarnished image of Texas.

When I think of Texas, I think of the Alamo. I think of Jim Bowie and Davey Crockett. I think of Sam Houston. I think of Edgar Blythe.

I think of George Bush only as a receptacle for my spittle.

I think of Tom Delay as a butt plug polished to a fine sheen and offered to a skeptical public.

In other words: It is nice seeing you again, Edgar, after my state-imposed sabbatical, and I hope you continue your quest to make Texas, once again, a proud and admirable state.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:15 pm
Thanks, Gus. There are Texans I would not waste my spittle upon; however, there are such all over the planet, in one guise or another.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:29 pm
Over yonder, awhilago he went thataway
First, he went arunnin through the door
Narrowly escaping the fireants and snakes
While trying to change the o'l in his truck
He came face to face with a mighty bullfrawg
He tried to run, but his jeans were too taheet
And that monster buckle went aflying
Later, he sat 'pon his porchswing
Scratchin the chigger bites
Sippin on sweet tea
As his neighber came avisitin
"Howdy, Bubba!"
"Comon up, sit a spell"
Chawin his t'backee, Ol Bubba spit
Squarely in that ol bullfrawg's eye
After tawkin bout the fish not bitin'
And how hot it was lately,
Bubba had to go
"Y'all come back now, yeh hea'"

Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:09 pm
I've been hacked!!!!

American accents are all very well in very serious situations but they don't half sound daft in ordinary ones.

"Aahm gonna haaaave t' change Fraeaeynk's diaaaper agin corse 'ee' just hayedd another fayest dump and feeled up this wone. Ay Momma's werk ain't never done faith ahm awl tuckered out."

It might explain why they are so serious all the time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:29 pm
spendius wrote:
I've been hacked!!!!

American accents are all very well in very serious situations but they don't half sound daft in ordinary ones.

"Aahm gonna haaaave t' change Fraeaeynk's diaaaper agin corse 'ee' just hayedd another fayest dump and feeled up this wone. Ay Momma's werk ain't never done faith ahm awl tuckered out."

It might explain why they are so serious all the time.

Yer right, Spendi....you are a mother!
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:27 pm
Been from coast to coast, boarder to boarder....heard about all of them from the New England states, where I thought I was in a ganster movie while relaxing on the over crowded beaches in Maine, to the southern states of Lousiana and Texas where the accents are easy to pick up, but a royal pain to drop if ever moving up northeast...like Ohio or New Jersey. Living in 11 different states has given me quite an unusaul "accent" but I hardly notice it myself. :wink:

Try speaking the blackforest dialect in Germany to the northern Germans....it is not just another form of German if you ask me...it is another language completely.

What is fun is trying to write dialogue using an accent without overdoing it....ahem.....which makes the reading of the text difficult. I tried to write an accent and hopefully succeeded in one of my books. It is supposed to be scottish english...or somthing like that. I probably murdered it, but I gave it a try.
0 Replies