THE ANCESTORS OF THE ENGLISH, FRENCH, ECT. ARE:

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:31 am
Vielen Danke, Walter.

I am a little...... suprised and not particularly pleased by this. My family has German roots and they are not happy ones from the period 1936-1945. I await the Duke's explanations.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:51 am
It's a totally contradictional combination of 'headlines', not only by origin of time but by subject as well.

(To compare the Berlin revolution of 1953 with some Nazi art seems ridiculous - must something behind it, I don't get.)

<Edit: since 1990, the German national holiday is on October 3.>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:26 am
I have read the first page of this and also the last page and so far not all the pages in between, but I was under the impression that I was most closely related to God. The WASP god, that is.

(bookmark)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
McG, And you have it on "majority rule" that you be right!
0 Replies

zog

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:23 am
Duke of Lancaster wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
short, Your post pretty much summarizes the "races." We're all related, and originated from Africa.

I beg to differ.

The previous human is correct. The first "genetic intelligence" implant was made in the area you know as Africa.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
Zog,
I'm just curious...will you be interjecting just humor into the discussion or will you be interjecting some facts or opinion?

Maple
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 01:22 am
shortncute wrote:
Quote:
The Irish, Scots and Welsh are Celts; the English, Germans, Dutch, Danish, Swedes, Norwegians, all Germanic people; the French, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese and Romanians of Latin origin;
This is way too simplistic. You shouldn't muddle language origin with ethnic origin.
- It's a fallacy that the Scots are "Celtic"; eastern Scotland was as heavily settled by the Anglo-Saxons as England was, and the Highlands and Islands got a lot of Viking blood.
- It's also a fallacy that the English are generally "Anglo-Saxons": the original Romano-British population didn't go away, so there is a big Celtic component still, especially in western England.
- Just because the French speak a latin language doesn't mean they come from Italy; the bulk of the population are probably descended from Romanised Gauls (i.e. Celts).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:50 am
May I quote you an old Scottish saying, which indicates the brotherhood of man

"We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns".
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:05 pm
OK now that you've provided me with a cultural notice on the subethnic groups of Europe (Romans, Celts, Germanics, Slavs, etc) and now that I think about it you are correct! I know French is definitely a Romance language but I got some info on the history of France's people and learned that many of their ancestors are ethnically Celts from the British Isles who emigrated to what is now France. I've seen samples of the Celtic languages (Irish, Scottish) and am amazed to find that it does indeed resemble French to some extent!! (I speak French fluently, it's my secondary language and I'm French on my paternal side-so therefore I may have Celtic blood somewhere in my father's lineage :wink: it's no wonder a lot of people think I'm Irish Razz ) Also in the Brittany region of northwestern France they speak Breton (a Celtic dialect, not Romance like standard French) because this is the area where Celts settled centuries ago. So thank you, Syntinen for giving me the genealogical info Very Happy
You see, we ALL learn something new every day! Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:09 pm
or should I say 'anthropoligical' not 'genealogical'?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
shortncute11185 wrote:
but I got some info on the history of France's people and learned that many of their ancestors are ethnically Celts from the British Isles who emigrated to what is now France. I've seen samples of the Celtic languages (Irish, Scottish) and am amazed to find that it does indeed resemble French to some extent!! (I speak French fluently, it's my secondary language and I'm French on my paternal side-so therefore I may have Celtic blood somewhere in my father's lineage :wink: it's no wonder a lot of people think I'm Irish Razz ) Also in the Brittany region of northwestern France they speak Breton (a Celtic dialect, not Romance like standard French) because this is the area where Celts settled centuries ago.

As far as I know, Celts are early Indo-European people who from the 2nd millennium BC to the 1st century BC spread over much of Europe.

Between the 5th and 1st centuries BC the La Tène culture accompanied the migrations of Celtic tribes into eastern Europe and westward into the British Isles.
So, I have concluded - and lots of different others before me :wink: - that the Celts had been in continental Europe before they arrived on the British Isles.

Some, who have the same opinion, are e.g. the ancient Bretons: living in what is now Great Britain, they emigrated to Armorica in the 5th century. They colonised and revitalised the region, converting it to Christianity, and also "re-Celticised" it renaming it "Little Britain" (Britannia Minor).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
Shortncute :

As you seem to have just a vague idea of origins of Celts and as you speak French maybe it would be useful to take a look here :

De la véritable origine des Celtes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Here's a similar site in English:

An Outline of French History - The Celts
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:31 pm
And for the 'Celts' in Britain, I suggest this BBC website (and the others on BBC History are worth reading as well to get basic informations. :wink: ).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 01:59 pm
I read somewhere (haven't checked it recently) that the Norman French who invaded England under William the Conqueror, were descended from Vikings who had settled in northern France previously.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:05 pm
William the Conqueror was descended from Rollo the Viking himself (his grandfather was "William Longsword").

(The inhabitants of 'northern France' were Vikings, but most people simply referred to them as the North Men. The land given to them took their name: Normandy.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
The legend asserts so...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:59 pm
Francis wrote:
The legend asserts so...

Some even believe this (at least, no-one complained when I wrote such at an university examination about the tableau de Bayeux :wink: )
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 03:17 pm
Tapisserie de Bayeux : Battle of Hastings.

http://www.paw.hi-ho.ne.jp/nasubichan/tapisry.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 03:35 pm
In this scene - actually, there's a bit more to the left and right* - Harold accompanies William and the Norman soldiers as they set off to fight Duke Conan of Brittany. They pass Mont St. Michel, which is on the border between Normandy and Brittany. To get into Brittany they have to cross the river. They hold their shields above their heads to keep them out of the water. Some soldiers sink into quicksand and Harold rescues them - two at a time! :wink:

*http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/Images/Bayeux/bayeux8.jpg
0 Replies