THE ANCESTORS OF THE ENGLISH, FRENCH, ECT. ARE:

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:30 pm
As Americans, we might say our ancestors were English; it hadn't ocurred to me that they may have come from somewhere else. Then in the Frenchmen thread, someone made reference to the English as the descendents of some place in Northern Europe.

How about it? Where did the Scots, Irish and English come from? How about the French, Germans and Spaniards?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 20,481 • Replies: 115
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:32 pm
God, talk about a can of worms. Got a can opener, Boss?

To quote Ah-nold: "Ah'll be back . . . "
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:49 pm
crikey! We all came from africa. I know that with DNA testing and research that scientists are more and more able to map the human geneology.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:53 pm
mapleleaf

Even Ameicans know that the might be English, Scottish, Irish, Itakian, German, Polish ...

I think, both, littlk and Setanta, gave the right answers: either a can of worms or Africa. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:02 pm
Going back a couple centuries, you're probably referring to the Celts. Go back far enough, and we're all cousins under the skin. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:04 pm
OK, the celts seemed to rule from the british isles to hungary. In 400 BC they displaced the romans (the Etruscans were another euro-ancester, in italy from elsewhere) from around the Po. The roman empire fought back.

There was the ottoman empire and the mongol kingdoms (Merkits, the Keraits, the Khitai, the Naimans, the Qaidu, and the Tatars) later in eurasia's history.

We can't forget the moors
Quote:
The Moors were a nomadic people from North Africa; originally they were the inhabitants of Mauretania. They invaded Spain, taking their Islamic religion and culture with them, in 711, where they overran the Visigoths. They spread northward across the Pyrenees into France, but they were turned back by Charles Martel and his Frankish knights in 732.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:17 pm
Oho! This is cool. A human ancestry table based on DNA testing. The base group were the irish. Following is a list of ethnic groups and their relation (in steps away from) the irish. From that list we can assume that the debate about where Black Irish got their coloring - from black africans, spaniards, etc - is now over. Looks likely that the coloring comes from spaniards (if it isn't just a genetic mutation).
Table

Spanish dna is only 16 steps distant from irish dna. Here are some other stats:

Scottish 8
French 34
Italian 43
Norwegian 63
Slovakian 79
N African 109
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:33 pm
Omigod - I love that website! You can plug in one ethnitic group and get a list of 41 other peoples and closely they are related together.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:37 pm
Good stuff, LittleK.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:37 pm
Northern Amerinds are more closely related to mongolian groups and eskimos are more closely related to japanese groups.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:50 pm
Thanks, I'm having a little too luch fun with it. So, you can compare DNA within 42 world pops or 26 european pops. mtDNA and y-chromosome analysis can be countrsted with old-fashion physical anthro!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:00 pm
littlek, I've always had that gut feeling that Eskimos were closely related to the Japanese - by their facial features. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:07 pm
c.i., that can be explained by Asiatic tribes crossing the Bering Straight into Canada and settling there. Hey, where is that Steve dude from Mapleleaf's other thread? I was having fun there...we are all indeed human under the skin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:08 pm
Steve's a good guy, Cav, with a very short fuse . . . you'll find that it's easy to get a rise out of him . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:10 pm
c.i., I suppose that also explains their fondness for sushi...

Actually, 'Eskimo', meaning 'raw flesh eater' is considered a tad derogative these days. 'Inuit', meaning 'The People' is preferred, I believe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:52 pm
yes, cav, but the site said eskimo, so I stuck with the term
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:06 pm
cav, "Raw flesh eater" connotates a lot of things. I'm sure that term was created to identify their eating habits of uncooked foods when "fire" was scarce. They're pretty good at cooking salmon feasts in the great north-west. We participated in such a meal on our cruise to Alaska some years ago. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:07 pm
Just piping in, being a Canuck and all, we get this info...Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:12 pm
Cool c.i. That is true, in terms of where the word came from, but for some reason, they don't like it. Don't ask me why, perhaps because it was the evil white man who gave it to them. Wink Setanta, I noticed that about Steve (in fact, I wasn't even sure what his point was, but I went along with it free-style)...I am just worried I might get too tempted, heh heh...I promise to be good. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:59 pm
As i've read it, Esquimeaux is the way the French rendered the term of contempt with which the Algonquian-speakers denoted the Inuit . . . and they did indeed eat raw flesh--there ain't a lotta fire wood on the perma-frost prairies . . . for those interested, Kabloona, by a French anthropologist, is fascinating. He spent a good deal of time with the Inuit in the 1930's, as they were on the verge of converting from the "time immemorial" culture of their ancestors to one heavily modified by access to western artifacts . . .
0 Replies