Scroll function on the mouse

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:47 am
Every once in a while (LIKE RIGHT NOW) the scroll wheel of my mouse stops working -- and I cannot scroll though pages easily. (Gotta use those arrows off to the right!)

Any idea of what could be the trouble -- and suggestions of how I can correct it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,001 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 11:00 am
Well, if there's no visible stuff stuck inside & it's not dirty, oily or anything then just shut down the computer, disconnect the mouse and plug it back in. If you're still having trouble after that, just throw it away & buy a new one. Problem solved. There's no point trying to fix a mouse, as a generic scroll wheel mouse is very cheap.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 11:08 am
Speaking of mice- I keep getting a hpfvls14 error on the HPdeskjet 722C. It started when I got my new mouse, and loaded the 4.1 driver. According to what I have read, the fix is to uninstall the 4.1, and reinstall the 3.1, which I have.

Now, this new mouse has a scroll wheel and 4 buttons. My old mouse had a scroll wheel and 2 buttons. Would loading the earlier version of the driver, cut out the functionality of the extra buttons?

Right now, I just print, get the error message, and click it off. No biggie.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:06 pm
Thing is, the numbers 4.1 & 3.1 don't mean anything by themselves--it depends on the features your mouse driver &/or supporting software has. To answer that, one would need to know the mouse's maker & model number, and unless they had personal experiance with version 3.1 of that particular mouse's software they'd have to look it up on the manufacturer's website like anyone else to find out if v3.1 supports 4-button functionality.
It seems quite unlikely to me however that your new mouse driver &/or software is affecting your printer. Here's HP's article dealing specifically with the possible fixes if you're getting errors with "HPFVLS14" written in them: HP Deskjet Printers - Resolving "Illegal Operation" or "General Protection Fault (GPF) Error Messages. (I found it by going to hp.com and searching for "HPFVLS14")
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:41 pm
My first interaction with a computer was at age 64. I am so totally lost.

In any case, if I wait a few days -- turning off the computer at the end of each day -- at some point, the scroll feature will return. It always has in the past. Just manages to get balky for a day or three.

I was hoping someone had a solution an idiot like me could implement.

I tried your "turn off and unplug" suggestion, Monger. Didn't work. Maybe I'll stop off at Radio Shack and buy a new mouse.

I'll let ya know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:55 pm
Or right click on the onscreen scroll bar and drag it down.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:18 pm
scroll function on the mouse
I have the same problem. I have used all sorts of mice - cord, cordless, even the kind that doesn't require a mousepad, and every one has been uneven in scrolling. I also have a MS Office keyboard with a scroll feature. When the mouse stops scrolling, so does the keyboard, so I wonder if it's something not specific to mice. Perhaps it's aprogramming flaw.

All things considered, my favorite mouse is the Logitech cordless wheel mouse. But it has so many functions that it makes me dizzy! I don't use half of them,

Roger has a good point - don't bother with Radio Shack, just click on the scroll bar icon and move your pointer up and down as needed. Or right and left. But he says "right click" - the scroll bar is on the right, and a left click will do it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:56 pm
From the small amount of data presented I suspect that the mice several of you mention runs it's own software for the non-standard functionality. When that software is not running in the backgroud your mouse will run off Windows and standard drivers etc.

That is typical of Logitec and other mice breeders.

Tomkitten,

If you right click a scroll bar you can make it jump where you want without dragging it. That may be what roger is talking about, it is a useful if obscure feature.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:05 pm
Scroll function on the mouse
Let me ask have you tried removing the ball in the moust to clean it? That's usually step #1. So many times that has been my problem and immediately clears it up. Also examine interior. Check spring that the ball activates for movement.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:08 pm
Thanks Tomkitten. I had that trouble with left feet in basic training too!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:22 pm
Re: Scroll function on the mouse
bobsmyth wrote:
Let me ask have you tried removing the ball in the moust to clean it? That's usually step #1. So many times that has been my problem and immediately clears it up. Also examine interior. Check spring that the ball activates for movement.

Yep. No help.

Think I may have to spring for the big bucks and buy a new mouse.

Damn, hope our cat has not been messin' with it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:33 pm
In 1992 I had to spring for $100.00 for a Logitec (1 button, no wheels) at radio shack. Now you can get bells, whistles, a taillight, and no wire for less than half that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:34 pm
FrankApisa- You don't have to break the bank. There are plenty of good mice that won't put you into hock. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse with a scroll wheel and four buttons. It is perfectly fine, and did not cost a fortune.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:44 pm
This is the one that I have. It has no ball, which is nice, and I am very happy with it!

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/imo_info.asp

Amazon has it for $34.95 with no shipping cost. And if you get to Amazon through the link on A2K, the site gets credit. A good deal all around!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:58 pm
Scroll function
Thanks, Craven. That's a new one on me! Obscure's the word, but I can see where it might come in handy.
0 Replies