"Superman Returns" Opens to Great Reviews

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
On the side screen, I'm sucker (euphemism for guilty pleasure) for the superhero movies if they are done well. This looks like they pulled out all the stops and I'm making a date to go to the IMAX theater for this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,736 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:38 pm
Hey, Mr. Wizard. I saw that. Is this the first one since Reeves died? Sometimes I like the super heroes; sometimes not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:57 pm
This one has my interest, too.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:19 am
Im going to see the new Superman film but I cant help feeling guilty about 'betraying' the Reeves movies.
Im not a big fan of his but I loved those films as I grew up with them.
I feel I will not be a part of the new generation.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:58 am
What great reviews? The ones that I've seen have been mediocre at best. The New York Times called it "leaden." The Chicago Tribune said: "'Superman Returns' has everything going for it except surprise."

Doesn't sound so great to me.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:03 am
Re: "Superman Returns" Opens to Great Reviews
Lightwizard wrote:
This looks like they pulled out all the stops and I'm making a date to go to the IMAX theater for this one.

Me to :wink:
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:38 am
I just saw it. Its OK. Effects are fine.

I would still prefer SPIDERMAN movie for the reason that its story is much humane than that of the SUPERMAN movie.

Somehow Brandon Ruth looked a bit sad and subtle compared to the zesty and raging Christopher Reeves.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:42 am
I went to see it at an IMAX but the only seats left were the ones in front...and apparently, there are some 3D parts to the movie so we left to see Click (which was ok by the way)

We are going to go see Superman at the IMAX tonight. Kinda excited!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
joefromchicago wrote:
What great reviews? The ones that I've seen have been mediocre at best. The New York Times called it "leaden." The Chicago Tribune said: "'Superman Returns' has everything going for it except surprise."

Doesn't sound so great to me.

You're quoting two reviews, but the cream-of-the-crop of critics are at 73% favorable, a majority:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

It always seems to me Ebert is on opposite sides on many movies from his colleagues -- he gave it two stars, but he also gave "The Da Vinci Code" a good review while it was royally panned by a majority of critics. I'm never sold on just his reviews.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:00 am
Ok, I saw it and here's my take (without to much of a spoiler).

1- The casting was all wrong. Superman was ok...he did probably the best anyone other than C Reeves could have done. But he lacked much of the goofiness in Clark Kent. He did a better superman than Clark. Lois Lane was WAY too young. Hello...she'd be at least 40 and in this movie she looks 21. And too calm. And too put together. She was just so wrong for the part I can't even tell you...it was awful.
Lex Luther was WAY too young. Kevin Spacey is a great (absolutly one of my favorites) actor but where oh where was Gene when you needed him?

2 - The story line was a little boring and not really in line with the other movies. Lex always had help trying to dispose of Superman and suddenly he's solo. No good Superman battling evil scenes. He mostly just flew around and stopped things from crashing on peoples heads.

3 - And.....Did I miss something in the other Supermans...in regards to Jason? (anyone who is a diehard Superman fan could perhaps help me out on this one...it's been YEARS since I last saw the films) The whole thing seemed a little...weird to me.

4- Superman is C R E E P Y in so many ways in this movie...he uses his super xray vision and hearing to...spy on Lois and her honey. Who is this guy?

I give it a 5 out of 10. Only because it had some cool special effects and I saw it in IMAX 3D. But could it have been done much better? Hell yeah.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:24 am
I really want to see this movie -- going to see it this week but after Pirates of the Carribean.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
Pirates fell way short of my expectations as well.

I liked it because of what it was and who was in it but it wasn't as good as the first.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:32 am
I didnt like the first Pirates film, loved Jack, loved the ghosts but the film was naff.
Visually speaking I cant wait to see #2, but wont hold out for a good script/story.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
Your review is a mirror of Ebert's, Bella Dea, and even though the percentage of good reviews is high, I wonder if most of the reviewers aren't considering the recommendation for a very much younger audience. "Batman Begins" and both Spiderman movies managed to develop their chraracters. I don't see how this could be nearly as good, creat CGI or not.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:14 am
I think if you don't consider the previous films, this could be a good movie. But I couldn't help making the comparisons.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:33 am
"Superman II" was the best of the first string in the franchise. III and IV were rather weak walk-throughs, IV isn't one I'd even watch again.

You're right that I would try and judge this film on its own.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:37 am
My old boss tried to make a bet with me that there wernt 4 Superman movies, i said that there were but I had no way of proving it, so he won!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:40 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094074/

With a user rating of 3.2 out of 10, this one is really a dog -- no wonder one would forget about it.
0 Replies