Painting on glass.

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:00 pm
I hesitate to put this in "Art" but.....

A few years back Bam Bam Mo tossed my patio table off of the deck and busted the glass. I've been making do with a big piece of square fat glass that covered the tabletop that was lurking in my garage.

Today they poured my new patio and it looks very very nice and I really don't want to put my crummy odd glass on the table (plus I'm trying to fancy up the place for our home study next Monday).

So I was thinkng it might be really groovy to paint a backgammon board on the back side of the glass -- so it kind of looked like it was supposed to be all goofy.

And of course then I could play backgammon on it too!

But I've never painted on glass and I'm not really sure if there needs to be some special application/paint type/preservative.

Can you help?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,496 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:54 pm
He tossed the patio table off the deck and the glass broke?
Er, I'd skip any unusual glass for the home study, glass that might not be part of an ordinary patio set. Even then I might think twice. But tha's me. Was it part of an ordinary patio set? Hmm, I dunno if that is usually tempered glass or not. How about a nice slice of burl with a print of a backgammon board and then resin over it, ala 1976? Hmm, maybe rough edges... How about a nice square of marine ply with thinset, a tile checkerboard, and wood 1x to frame the tile.... (or tile trim to frame the tile). Then you could think up something charming for the checkers..

signed, Ms. Cautious
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:58 pm
Or a tile chessboard...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm
Boomerang, that sounds like a neat idea.

I've painted on glass before, it can be difficult if you don't know what your doing, glass paint swells, runs........and lines cross, if you know what I mean.

IMO, and I could be wrong here....I'm an no guru in training on the subject...just an enthusiast...lol Don't use paint that is marketed for sun catchers, that will be a major pain in the butt. Find you an oil based acrylic or just an acrylic paint.....since its going to be on the bottom side of the glass...no worry about rain washing it off that way, but purchase yourself a good brush. The better the brush, imo, the better the job of painting you will do. You won't end up with those annoying lines from uneven bristles...............look for a brush thats 100% hair.

Wal-mart sells this paint back in the fabrics/crafts, along with the brushes. The paints are usually a dollar a bottle, and will give you plenty of paint to do the job, and ability to choose a variety of colors without costing you and arm and a leg. 100% hair brushes can be found back there too, they aren't that bad..........on cost.

If you really want to make it look goofy, quirky and cute, think about painting the legs different colors and the chairs. Nothing has to match nowadays on such things.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm

I've painted on glass before, it can be difficult if you don't know what your doing, glass paint swells, runs........and lines cross, if you know what I mean.

IMO, and I could be wrong here....I'm an no guru in training on the subject...just an enthusiast...lol Don't use paint that is marketed for sun catchers, that will be a major pain in the butt. Find you an oil based acrylic or just an acrylic paint.....since its going to be on the bottom side of the glass...no worry about rain washing it off that way, but purchase yourself a good brush. The better the brush, imo, the better the job of painting you will do. You won't end up with those annoying lines from uneven bristles...............look for a brush thats 100% hair.

Wal-mart sells this paint back in the fabrics/crafts, along with the brushes. The paints are usually a dollar a bottle, and will give you plenty of paint to do the job, and ability to choose a variety of colors without costing you and arm and a leg. 100% hair brushes can be found back there too, they aren't that bad..........on cost.

If you really want to make it look goofy, quirky and cute, think about painting the legs different colors and the chairs. Nothing has to match nowadays on such things.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:24 pm

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:06 am
Mo has a little more control over his temper now!

The glass that is now on the table is 1/4 inch safety glass with a beveled edge. I've been using it for two years now and I think it is safe.

Always good to be cautious though.

Thanks for the tips MMS!

I have quite a bit of acrylic paint in tubes and some spray paints and house paints and a variety of other junk.

If I painted it on the underside do you think I could just seal the whole thing with some kind of clear coat to prevent it from getting scratched up?

I was thinking of painting it kind of quirky and free-hand goofy. Something quick and easy but a bit more distinctive than just a glass table top.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:13 am
My mum has been making a mosaic table with tiles and then grouting (no idea of spelling)between the bits.I suppose that could work for glass too.
Definately paint on the side that wont be the table surface.The glass paint ive encountered has always been like a thin film of colour that peels off, it wouldnt withstand any bumps.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:31 pm
I don't know Boomerang, clear coating it would be a great idea, but I would find a piece of safety glass to try it on first to see what it looks like. Sometimes things that are sopposed to be "clear" end up "milky" looking.

But I don't see why it wouldn't work!

You'll have to let us see it after you get it painted. I bet its going to be cute!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:44 pm
I really like this place for art supplies:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/glassdecoration/

You could buy a stencil with a game board or use masking tape to keep the lines clean (did anyone already suggest that?).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 09:48 pm
I am not really against having a painted glass table top - but
am trying to look at your place with that particular visitor's eye.

I don't think 1/4" is all that beefy, though reasonable if it's well supported.
Can't you just do without a table for a few months? I'm more concerned about the inspection than the glass..
0 Replies