Traffic Reports – are they useful?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:53 pm
This

http://www.move-info.de/pls/img/pls.jpg

is the same (simple) system, we have in our town: the numbers indicate the free place at the named car parks.

In bigger cities, you find then arrows (and the free numbers) to free decks/rows.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:58 pm
actually yitwail they have that as well.

http://innovativemobility.org/news/WallStreetJournal_SmartParking.pdf
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:59 pm
traffic reports are essential, when I hear them on the radio I know it's time to make another pot of coffee before the Lady Diane rises.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:01 pm
must find out if they have them in Japan, walter--not that i would ever drive there. didn't remember seeing them in the UK, either, but i didn't have any need to look for parking there.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:28 pm
Linkat wrote:

But that seems to be rather new in the USA Shocked
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Linkat wrote:

yep, and yet Euro-Americans still refer to wherever their European ancestors came from as "the old country." Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
yitwail wrote:

yep, and yet Euro-Americans still refer to wherever their European ancestors came from as "the old country." Razz

Since I-don't know-how-long, we have hot "Videotext" (aka teletext, ceefax) on tv - of course with traffic news as well

http://i4.tinypic.com/15fg8xu.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
yitwail wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Euro-Americans? Perhaps first generation Americans use the terms "old country", but if you're a 4th or 5th generation as I am,
you'd certainly never make this comment.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
Miller wrote:

Euro-Americans? Perhaps first generation Americans use the terms "old country", but if you're a 4th or 5th generation as I am,
you'd certainly never make this comment.

oops, having encountered that term a few times, but only secondhand, i assumed it was still in use. my bad. Embarrassed
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:22 pm
walter, there was another thread where i did an America is better than Canada routine, but i'm surrendering without a fight in this one; we seem to be well "behind the curve" in traffic info tech adoption. Sad any yanks want to step up to the challenge, be my guest; i'll root for ya.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:16 am
www.traffic.com Just check it before you leave in the morning.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:38 am
jespah wrote:
www.traffic.com Just check it before you leave in the morning.

as long as you don't click on all their ads. right?

btw, thanks to OmSigDavid in another thread, i realized that there *is* something the yanks still have over europeans: we have them outgunned. Embarrassed
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 07:41 pm
I can't recall the ads from when I used to use traffic.com. Not clicking on the ads isn't just confined to them, of course.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 01:19 pm
Thanks - I can look before I leave, however, as I am on the road for almost 2 hours - driving to three different destinations - traffic changes quickly.

Just this morning I drop the kids off (heading south) - I notice that Rt 24 northbound looks fine everything is moving. 10 or 15 minutes later when I start back 24 north is backed up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 01:31 pm
TMC on radio is very fast and accurate here, and even the antique traffic news give alternatives within minutes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:24 am
I suppose, being stuck for half a day on an Interstate in a snowstorm and getting ten hours old news on the traffic hotline - well, that's not my idea of traffic news :wink:

http://i14.tinypic.com/40pcq3a.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:51 am
we've found the german traffic reports quite useful when visiting .
i remember when we were being driven back to the airport on last visit by a nephew .
even though the radio was turned off , it still gave reports of traffic delays and blocked roads automatically. it sure was helpful to get to the airport on time . they even broadcast an alternate entrance to the airport to avoid construction slowdown near the regular entrance - great stuff - wish we had it in canada .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:15 am
Such is done that way since more than 25 years now (called EON - Enhanced other network).
Nowadays, you get alternative routes automatically on your Nav (TMC - Traffic Message Channel) or can "see" possible traffic jams an hour in advance on the internet (with more than 90% accuracy).

In case you want to impress your relatives when you phone them the next time with your up-to-date knowledge, hamburger: German traffic news (major roads)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:29 pm
This morning as I am driving to work, I thinking to myself - wow traffic is great and really moving. Then the traffic report - very slow on 93N from Furnance Brook Parkway to Columbia Road. Guess where I just drove through? Yep right along that route and it was very open and moving much quicker than normal.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:05 pm
walter :
my b-i-l still has not yet overcome the shock when i told him that i can read the latest news from germany (die welt , der spiegel) for the next day before going to bed and before he gets up in the morning .
i've offered to phone him around 11 pm local time to read him 'die welt' - so far he has declined :wink: .
if i also read him the traffic update , it might do serious damaga to his sanity .
hbg
0 Replies