Are laptop computers as good as desktops?

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:33 am
I am daydreaming about getting a new computer.

It would be very convenient to not have to have a pile of machinery hanging around, taking up space - and it would be great to be able to have a computer around and available wherever I am, not just in the corner of one room.

Now I know laptops are more expensive - but I am wondering if they are as powerful and good as their desktop siblings?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,408 • Replies: 23
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:55 am
A Powerbook (Apple Computer) is very powerful (and expensive).
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 04:23 am
In general, you get more bang for the buck with a desktop.

But just how hard do you push your machine? Go to your nearest big computer store and play with what they've got on display. The biggest difference from a casual user (and we all know, no one is more casual than a chain-smoking bunny) is the keyboard and pointer. Me, when I use a laptop, I plug in a mouse because I can't abide the touchpad. It is possible that touchpads are much better than they were seven years ago, when my laptop was built, but...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 05:31 am
A laptop should not be an only computer. You wont like the little screen and the close keys. I have a Dell inspiron i use for the field and for a2k and abuzz . Im always missing the keys and misspelling words . Feature-wise,I feel, like Seal that the desktops are better. The peripherals are what take up most of the room anyway. (speakers, printer, backup, scanner etc etc) and youd have those with either unit. You can get a huuge computer for not much cash these days, if you go desktop. Also, get one of the flat panel screens, they dont look like a Buick sitting on your desk.
Another thing, if youre a neatnik, wherever the computer stays, always winds up with bits of paper and "look-up" detritus. Also , if you do writing, a laptop ad always shows people sitting out on the beach writing. That is so much bullshat. A laptop screen can barely
be seen in a sunny day.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:28 am
Can't you plug in decent key-boards?

I agree - those stupid rubber balls instead of mice suck....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:29 am
Bucks are important - so is the pile of crap in my little apartment, too.

Can you surf and chat as easily on the wittle ones? I don't wanna run a space shuttle with the thing!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:34 am
Whatever I do - if I can ever afford to do anything (!) - it will sadly not be a Mac. I grew up with them, but I am not convinced they ever become really able to connect happily with the rest of the world...sigh...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:26 am
D- I SAID B_U_I_C_K not BUCK. If you cant see your desktop screen, you probably shouldnt get a laptop

You can surf and chat, its just not as easy to
1use the mouse
2 see the screen
3hit the correct keys
4eat a meal while keyboarding

If I were to get an aux keyboard, why not just get a desktop to begin with?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:33 am
I use both but unless you buy a docking station with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor for the laptop it is a bit of a chore to use it all the time. I suppose that's the trade off - portability in exchange for ease of use. Unfortunately, by the time you add all of that on, the price of the laptop climbs drastically and you haven't really gained any space compared to a standard desktop machine.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:56 am
Dunno, I am not a computer buff at all. But I only use a notebook, and am extremely happy with it for all those reasons - I can close it up and shove it in a drawer and use my desk for handwriting, I can take it anywhere with me and it's screen is just as big as the desktop screen. 15'', that should do for anyone unless you do some serious graphic design. AND, and and and, I must say I LOVE working in the backyard on a sunny day, for when it's lovely outside there's no power that can keep me inside. True, I have the laptop in a shade, but I can see the screen OK. I have a Dell Inspiron 2650, which I bought, thanks to fishin's advise, at Dell outlet store and it was not expensive at all: $750 with all the perks of the modern computer era. I would not go back to desktop. I even find the typing easier - I guess I just got used to it. The keys are softer so you barely have to press at all, the regular desktop keyboards now seem as old fashioned typewriters to me - I type much slower on them. I sppose you should play around and see what's comfortable for you, to each his/hers own! notebook for me!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:59 am
Dunno, I am not a computer buff at all. But I only use a notebook, and am extremely happy with it for all those reasons - I can close it up and shove it in a drawer and use my desk for handwriting, I can take it anywhere with me and it's screen is just as big as the desktop screen. 15'', that should do for anyone unless you do some serious graphic design. AND, and and and, I must say I LOVE working in the backyard on a sunny day, for when it's lovely outside there's no power that can keep me inside. True, I have the laptop in a shade, but I can see the screen OK. I have a Dell Inspiron 2650, which I bought, thanks to fishin's advise, at Dell outlet store and it was not expensive at all: $750 with all the perks of the modern computer era. I would not go back to desktop. I even find the typing easier - I guess I just got used to it. The keys are softer so you barely have to press at all, the regular desktop keyboards now seem as old fashioned typewriters to me - I type much slower on them. I sppose you should play around and see what's comfortable for you, to each his/hers own! notebook for me!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:37 am
If you only have one system and are using it for a fair amount of time (an hour or more everyday) I'd get a desktop. Here at work, those beasts in IT tried to take my desktop away and give me a laptop and a docking station. No thanks! I'd like to get some work done today. I also bought a new desktop for home. I don't have a lot of space but it's worth it.

Now, my brother just bought a laptop - he's driving back and forth from here to NYC all the time so it's practical for him. However, if he's home he uses my computer. I think a laptop is good if you need the convenience of taking it with you. Otherwise, a desktop is more powerful, upgradable, and cheaper.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:43 am
Hmmmmmm - interesting!

Maybe our smaller fingers make the keyboard not such a problem?

Bang for the Buick, indeed!

Fifteen inches is PLENTY big enough for me...heehee...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:44 am
Oh - this is all soooo confusing!

But - thank you people! Keep it coming....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 10:52 am
Ah, fishin' said what I will - you can kind of get the best of both worlds by buying a docking station for the laptop.

A docking station has a large monitor (like a desktop) and a full-sized keyboard. The laptop ends up as the hard drive for the docking station, which won't work without it.

You get the size features of a desktop (e. g. you can see what you're typing, and you don't have to scroll all over the place to try to see the whole screen, plus the keyboard and regular mouse are considerably easier to use), but you have the portability of the laptop. The downside, of course, is that a docking station won't be much smaller than a desktop, so now you have what's essentially as big as a desktop, plus a laptop. Hence, more junk to try to find your way around in your home.

If you travel a lot, obviously you want a laptop. Depending upon others' machines, hotel or business machines, etc., is too catch-as-catch-can (I know, I used to travel for biz and if the laptop ever broke down, trying to get along without it was a monster pain). If you mainly stay put, though, I highly recommend a desktop. Most laptops are pretty delicate and so the idea of going everywhere with them is somewhat mythical. Yes, you can take them places, but you can't bang them around too much. Plus, they are a huge piece of bait you're dangling in front of thieves' noses. You have to be extremely vigilant with them.

Plus, I have lousy eyesight and I find that it's a lot easier for me to see a bigger screen (yes, I wear my glasses when I'm on the PC). Laptops are small (of course) but also somewhat dim.

Another thing - while I was traveling, I broke everything on my Apple Powerbook (Ha! We had 170s [until we were eventually upgraded to Dells]! They stank!) except for the phone cord, and even with that, I snapped off the little piece that helps to keep the cord in the outlet. Yes, I broke everything, even the screen (makes a lovely but expensive etch-a-sketch). Getting service is a pain, and my company was paying for it! And they had a plan! So, they'd travel to wherever and fix your laptop or replace it. I had a fine time in the wilds of South Carolina, waiting for the repair dude. I can't imagine how long it would take to get a repair or how much it would cost if I were arranging such things myself and not with the backing of a large corporation.

And that's just broken hardware. What if the software doesn't work? Will you call Tech Support off in God's country? Can you fix some problems yourself? Hanging on the line is no fun, and if you can't get the machine to dial up, you'll be dependent upon the phone in order to reach Tech Support.

Plus, what are you going to do for 'net access? How well-enabled is Wi-Fi in your area? Will it even work with the laptop you want (I believe wireless is mainly for hand-helds)? Or are you consigned to dial-up every time you leave your home?

Oh yeah, even light ones are heavy, since you'll want an extension cord, a long phone cord, an extra battery and a pad of paper and a pen unless you feel like carrying around a portable printer or finding someone with a printer you can hook up to (oh, and do you know how to set up a printer, on the fly, when you may or may not have the correct drivers for it?).

The romance is nice - hey, I'll read my email while on the beach! - but the reality is that a laptop can weigh you down in more ways than one. I don't hate laptops by any means, but unless they improve, big time and plummet in price, I won't be buying one any time soon.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:20 am
Are laptop computers as good as desktops
Obviously, laptops are a convenience in certain circumstances - much travelling, for example. But without printer access I'd be lost. My scanner is vital, too. And my second hd. The thought of not being able to print letters for snailmailing to the Luddite members of my family is awful. Not to mention scanning stuff into the computer for future use.

I know things can be squirreled away on the laptop and then printed out at my leisure, but that means hitching up the laptop every time. Why not keep a desktop, permanently attached to the peripherals, so that things can be printed, and scanned, (and private material can be stored on the second hd) without having to wait until I get somewhere where these functions are available?

As for screen size - I have a 17 inch monitor and the difference in comfort from my old 15 inch is unbelievable. I would never be happy with anything smaller.

Space is a problem, sure. But when we were all locked in to our Selectrics, space was still a problem.

Computers are not space saving, I admit. Nor are they paper saving. But with all the tradeoffs, I'll take the desktop every time.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:27 am
Since I'm having problems with my laptop at the moment, I would say, desktop all the way... Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:54 am
I used to drag around a laptop for work. With the extra batteries I always needed to travel around with, it was like carrying a sewing machine, in addition to the briefcase, or two, and suitcase I'd need. I think it's a big part of why my elbow is in as rough shape as it is.

I considered a laptop for personal use, but the cost comparison is just not worth the romance of a laptop. I've got a laptop word processor, which was fun the three times I used it outside. Verklempter batteries. Even going into the backyard for an afternoon meant either the 30 foot extension cord had to come with me or an extra battery. annnnnnnd I still had to plug/unplug blah blah blah to get anything printed. Desktop - power power memory memory speed speed.

and duuuuuunah forget that unless you can afford good, reliable wireless access, you're in effect buying a very fast word processor when you're buying a laptop. You'll have to save everything - bring the dang thing back to where you can get access and then upload/download.

Pretty, but not so practical.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:57 am
ohhhhhhh and like jes said about service when you're not sitting 10 feet from your IT support.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:58 am
ewwwwwww....
0 Replies