Please help me.Thank you very much!

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:52 am
I want to get some informations about Singapore's breakfast.Can you tell me what's Singapore's breakfast?What are the differences between Eastern and Western breakfast?Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:16 am
People here who will answer your question are most in the West, so you can't expect them to compare meals in the East to meals in the West, because they very likely do not know what people in the East eat at meal times.

People in the West consider Singapore to be a part of the East, so it is no good asking people here what is eaten at breakfast in Singapore.

In the West, there are a great variety of things eaten at breakfast. Some people like fried foods: fried eggs, fried potatoes and some type of fried meat, such as pork--bacon or pork sausage is very popular. Other people don't like to eat so much heavy fried food, so they might eat fruit, yogurt or various types of baked foods, such as bagels or croissants. Tastes vary widely. Click here to visit "Mr. Breakfast," a web site which has lots of information on breakfasts which are popular among Americans, and in some other places.
0 Replies

Kelly W

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:15 am
Hello selinamy

I hope you are still around.
Singapore is in South East Asia. Don't let Setanta confuse you.
Most of the people living in Singapore are Chinese so of course the cuisine is very much Chinese. I have visited there several time and loved the food. Much different from the Chinese food we get in the States.
I stayed in the Orchard Hotel and The Dynasty Hotel when visiting there.

Here is a sample breakfast you will get if you order an Oriental one.

Chilled orange, pink guava , apple, papaya juices
Tropical fresh fruit platter selection of pineapple, papaya, watermelon, mango, star fruit and fruit salad with lychees
Bakery basket filled with danish pastries, muffins, brioche zopf, banana bread, croissants and toast bread served with butter, margarine, honey and fruit preserves
Scrambled eggs, chicken congee with condiments, grilled ikan kurau with black bean sauce, fried bee hoon with chinese mushrooms, nasi lemak with fried chicken and condiments, crispy bacon, grilled tomatoes, and home-fried potatoes
Dim Sum selection of har kau, siew mai, and char siew pow
Assorted garden lettuces, tomatoes, and sliced cucumber salads served with herb vinaigrette and thousand island dressing
Freshly brewed coffee, fragrant chinese, jasmine or japanese green tea

If you order a Western one you will see it is very much the English type of food.
They call this an American Breakfast.

Chilled orange, apple and grapefruit juices
Bakery basket served with butter and fruit preserves
Scrambled eggs served with turkey ham, chicken sausages, hash brown and grilled tomatoes
Freshly brewed coffee and english breakfast tea
Pretty close but when is the last time you had grilled tomatoes, turkey ham or chicken sausages in the US unless you order a special diet one? <G>
I always had the Oriental. Loved the varity and all of the fruit.
0 Replies