Degree Issues~ Undecided about Bachelor Degree

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 11:20 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Unfortunately there is a "Social Work" major for undergraduates.

Once upon a time Education majors scored lowest on the SAT's. Now Social Work Majors do.

I've dealt with only two probation officers--and that was fifteen years ago--but my impression from those encounters and newspaper stories on hiring problems and turnover in the field suggest that perhaps the "paper" requirements for hiring are frequently waived.

Oh? There is a four year degree course here, or postgrad 2 to 4 years.

I doubt it is true now, but years ago Probation and Parole would employ people with a two year Associate Diploma in social work.....It has always been seen as a bit of a dregsy sort of place to be.

I worked there for four years when I graduated, because the entire system was frozen and you couldn't get jobs when I first began looking, and afterwards because I had a great time working with really good colleagues (with some notable exceptions) in a job in which there was never a dull second! I learned a lot and stayed longer than I expected to because of the clients and my friends there. I still have numerous great stories to tell...but it could also be really tough.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 11:27 pm
"Never heard of such a degree over here."

Ha! Shows how out of touch with academe I am.....I just googled and lots of Oz unis seem to be offering this degree.
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:43 pm
CJ - BA
I'm a CJ prof in the Boston area - not sure what exactly you are studying that is requiring so much latin and amendments. Usually the lower level classes (first two years) cover a ton of basics. A BA would cover more theory and applications of that theory.

I do cover the Amendments but in a course on the Legal System and also in a more practical sense. (Ex. Police knock on your door, you invite the officer into your home. He sees a pile of marijuana on your table and arrests you. Is this a legal search.) I would cover all the interpretations of the various amendments and Supreme Court decisions. I also use a book in my Juvie class that is called Significant Cases.

Once you get into the BA program you will be able to cover more interesting material. The really specific and in depth stuff though comes more with a graduate degree in CJ.

Serial killers and such are going to be covered in a different way. While some schools may offer a course on that particular subject, it is more likely you will touch on it briefly in a different course or through a documentary. Most of that info would be more like abnormal or forensic psych.

As for what you can do with a BA in CJ - there is so much as you can already see from the other posts. I worked in the field for a few years before teaching - I mostly worked with juveniles in corrections.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:14 pm
Welcome to Able2know, meridas! Smile
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:54 pm
Thanks jespah - I checked this out years back after spending a great deal of my work day on Abuzz....was recently longing for some chit chat and though I'd give it another try!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:25 pm
another welcome to Meridas..
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:41 pm
Hi Meridas...Nice to meet you...

Yes, we have covered alot of latin terms, already...we've kinda laxed on that in the last week or so, but were still covering the 4th amendment, along with the exclusionary rule, which I understand the reasoning behind that.

I think what I meant when I stated that post was: With what latin terms we were having to learn, versus what I will have to learn if I continue with a BA in CJ, I don't know if I have what it takes to make it.

I question myself sometimes on the area of study that I have decided to take on.

Plus I get frustrated...

Quote:
I do cover the Amendments but in a course on the Legal System and also in a more practical sense. (Ex. Police knock on your door, you invite the officer into your home. He sees a pile of marijuana on your table and arrests you. Is this a legal search.) I would cover all the interpretations of the various amendments and Supreme Court decisions. I also use a book in my Juvie class that is called Significant Cases.

And yes, loads of examples as you've provided above...lol Are ya sure you aren't one of my instructors? LOL Matter of fact, thats similiar to one of the Appendix's we just finished. Some of them are tricky.... :wink: providing a few twist that we have to be careful with. They aren't just cut and dry.

But...I am enjoying it a bit better than a few weeks ago..Were beginning to wrap up this period of classes to start the next ones.
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 05:31 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Hi Meridas...Nice to meet you...

Yes, we have covered alot of latin terms, already...we've kinda laxed on that in the last week or so, but were still covering the 4th amendment, along with the exclusionary rule, which I understand the reasoning behind that.

I think what I meant when I stated that post was: With what latin terms we were having to learn, versus what I will have to learn if I continue with a BA in CJ, I don't know if I have what it takes to make it.

I question myself sometimes on the area of study that I have decided to take on.
makemeshiver33 wrote:

Hi again!
What is the name of the course where you are covering all this latin and ammendments in depth?? It might help me to figure out if it is more that class or your program. I only cover that info that in depth in a few places. Other classes I teach like corrections, criminology, family violence, etc get much more into theory (the why part) and tend to be more interesting. I recently taught a course on Corrections where we mostly covered problems in the correctional system and tried to look for solutions - lots of theory but NO latin at all!!

[
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 05:31 am
oops I did that quoting thing wrong - go figure....mind if I ask what part of the country you are studying in??
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:02 am
Criminal Procedures & Contempary Issues in Criminal Justice....Criminology is next...already finished Interpersonal Communication in Criminal Justice along with Juvenile Justice Procedures.
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Criminal Procedures & Contempary Issues in Criminal Justice....Criminology is next...already finished Interpersonal Communication in Criminal Justice along with Juvenile Justice Procedures.

Totally makes sense now - Criminal Procedures is super heavy on that stuff. Criminology is great - probably my fav class to teach. You will go over a lot of theory that you covered in Juvie (a lot of CJ overlaps) and then get into more interesting info on particular types of crimes (white collar, organized, violent, etc). I think you'll feel much better about your program when you get to that class.

I taught Criminal Evidence and Procedure and it was very heavy on the Latin and case law. It gets better, I promise :-)

Let me know if I can be of any help!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
Yeah.....everything we have studied so far in Criminal Procedures seems to be equivilent to one giant spider web....w/a single twist of the silk, your thown back into another case...which dictated another, and another...

Contempary Issues in CJ, kinda goes hand in hand with Criminal Procedures it seems...so far. Atleast each week when we start a new topic in CP, in CI we start that topic the next week...it maybe a different version of it, but pretty much hits along the same line.

I am excited about Criminology....this is the class that I've been waiting on..lol

Another frustration with CJ is I'm just not sure what to do with it once I finished...to go on and apply myself towards a BS or BA in CJ, or to work towards a Sociology Degree......

The state that I live in I have wondered if it wouldn't pay better to work towards a Sociology Degree instead.
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:

Another frustration with CJ is I'm just not sure what to do with it once I finished...to go on and apply myself towards a BS or BA in CJ, or to work towards a Sociology Degree......

The state that I live in I have wondered if it wouldn't pay better to work towards a Sociology Degree instead.

There is so much you can do with that degree and a lot of those jobs are Social Work like. I worked with juveniles for a long time - lots of people I worked with had SW degrees and others were in the CJ field. If you want to do straight up counseling, there are advanced degrees that do a MSW (masters in SW) with a MCJ (masters in CJ). But that is best if you want to do actual counseling. I did some counseling that was more life skills oriented w/o a SW degree. You could chat with some of your profs to see what they did for work previously and see if that interests you.

One program I worked at was a diversion program - run very poorly. The Probation Officers just waited for the kids to mess up to revoke them. I did counseling with the kids and I loved them more than the people I worked with. I also worked with status offenders which is much more rehabilitative and more people who are actually interested in the kids. The pay sucks and the kids are a handful - but I have a soft spot for those kids.

You can also go the federal route (Marshalls, FBI, etc) or the research/ policy route.

Do you have an idea of what you would like to do?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:39 am
I have thought about the Juvenile route....keep swinging back to it.

Just not sure...lol
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
Well forensic psychology seems appropriate. But if you really want to be a pioneer, think about founding a new forensic science. FORENSIC SOCIOLOGY!

This is not an attempt at humor. There may be some credence to such a new area of forensics. Look at the problems with the middle East societies and cultures.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 07:06 am
Quote:
Well forensic psychology seems appropriate. But if you really want to be a pioneer, think about founding a new forensic science. FORENSIC SOCIOLOGY!

This is not an attempt at humor. There may be some credence to such a new area of forensics. Look at the problems with the middle East societies and cultures.

Quote:
Forensic Sociology: Evidence, Implication and Responsibility

Explores the similarities between sociology and crime scene investigation by examining how isolated and seemingly random pieces of data are actually embedded in larger frames of social and informational significance. Considers how these larger patterns of association can provide predictive relevance and meaning. Beginning with Durkheim's foundational work on suicide, the course explores the interpretive approach called semiology, the science of reading signs. Several CSI tools, such as forensic facial reconstruction and fingerprinting, illustrate the empirical and philosophical implications of this method.

Thank you again...its something to consider. (Your just full of good advice this morning..lol)
0 Replies