Degree Issues~ Undecided about Bachelor Degree

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:41 pm
Some of you know that I have been working on a degree in Criminal Justice, via online. I have till Jan 22, and I'm done with that...and plan on reapplying to work on a Bachelor Degree.

Granted, it will only be an Associates Degree, but a degree nontheless...and one that I will be very proud of.

But here's the deal, I'm finding that I have very little patients for all the latin terms that I am having to learn...along with the Bill of Rights...we have twisted those amendments every which way but loose..and God Bless the 4th Amendment, because its been raked over the coals one too many times. Lets move on already...lol, I'm ready for the pyschology end of it...profiling, blood stains...and serial killers...lol (I know, you can't put the horse in front of the cart)

Basically, its boring the hell out of me....and I'm having second thoughts about persuing a Bachelors in Criminal Justice.

The trend in Criminal Justice Jobs are growing, but honestly..CSI, is going to make my job search a living hell. Everyone wants to be a damned profiler, I just want to work in Juvenile/ Adult probation..or so I thought. And no...I'm not into the wearing of the badge/uniform..playing Barney Fife to a tee....No Thank you.

My husband says to continue...aim for a law degree. I say..NO.

So here goes...

I love working with people...Any of them...love to watch people/analyze them...
I love the outdoors...All of it...
I love wildlife..Cows/Horses/Dogs/Hunting/Fishing and Camping..floating rivers...and so on...
Native American Culture/Heritage/Artifacts

I want a degree in an area that I believe in, an area that I will enjoy working in...something that I look forward to dealing with everyday...

Got any clues?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,061 • Replies: 55
No top replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:41 pm
Going to take a bath, I'll be back............shortly!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:49 pm
Uh huh. Law must be a lot like the sciences and a lot of other things. Interesting stuff, when you get a quick overview. Then you get down to the excruciating little details that make it all work, and the glamour just isn't there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:54 pm
Social sciences, psychologist/counselor at some Upward Bound camp.

You have helping people, horses, outdoors, adults/juveniles in trouble...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:04 pm
Quote:
Uh huh. Law must be a lot like the sciences and a lot of other things. Interesting stuff, when you get a quick overview. Then you get down to the excruciating little details that make it all work, and the glamour just isn't there.

Uhhuh Roger...lol Gone...Gone..Gone, and I haven't even gotten to the fun stuff yet...lol Thats the next 2 sets of classes, then back to the regularly scheduled program of World Literature and the Arts...along with some other class I can't remember.

Quote:
Social sciences, psychologist/counselor at some Upward Bound camp.

You have helping people, horses, outdoors, adults/juveniles in trouble...

Good Point Lash..I thought about Sociology.....but then I kinda shy away from it...not sure why?

I've thought about Environmental Science.....still thinking pretty hard on that one, it would combine just about everything into one, even it up pretty good...covering all my bases. I can handle Science a lot easier than Latin terms...lol Its just the Math that I get queasy about...lol

I just don't know....>Beating head on table...< I keep telling myself I have 7 months left...it can wait, but I want to get my mind made up..and start preparing ahead of time.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:07 pm
Quote:
Good Point Lash..I thought about Sociology.....but then I kinda shy away from it...not sure why?

Cuz it's full of bleedin' heart liberals, that's why.

Don't settle for an associate's degree in anything. It would be better named an "assistant's degree". In some fields, a bachelor's degree comes to the same thing.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:14 pm
Why not go for Sociology? Not a knock on the degree, but it's one of the easier to obtain. CJ is a form of it anyway, and I don't think they're going to have you studying the serial killer profiles too heavily during your Bachelor's.

Remember also, companies today look for diversity in their workforce. A Sociology degree doesn't mean you have to become a social worker...you could still pursue a business career with it, for example. I was a Marketing major, and like you I absolutely hated the math/finance/numbers classes. Soc. is missing out on those.

DON'T go for your law degree. Unless you plan on having a sh!tload of debt with an overly-inflated confidence you're going to get a high paying job, only to find yourself very dissapointed.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:18 pm
Quote:
Cuz it's full of bleedin' heart liberals, that's why.

LOL!!!

Quote:
Don't settle for an associate's degree in anything. It would be better named an "assistant's degree". In some fields, a bachelor's degree comes to the same thing.

I've noticed that on both degrees. I wonder through the job listings everyday looking, and have noticed that 9 out of 10 jobs, they want a Bachelor's degree, and its offers little or no pay, and then...you have absolutely no job title, dependent on what area you are going into.

I have even thought seriously about anthropology/archeology. But honestly, where in the world am I going to go to work, that I wouldn't have to literally sit and wait for someone to die to get their job?

I thought about that type degree, because here in our state, which I'm sure it is in most, everytime they put in a major building, highway, interstate,pipeline, state park etc...they bring in archeologist to survey the area beforehand....so getting a job should be relatively easy..and it would be something that I would enjoy. But SERIOUSLY????

Environmental Science...I was thinking along the lines of EPA, OSHA...or working for a manufacturing company, in the safety division. Conservation efforts, such as Agriculture...County Home Extension Agency...etc??? But then again, you have to wait for someone to die to get their job...lol And don't think I'm kidding. One Game Warden alone was retiring about a month ago. To fill his position they had 178 applications and all of them had a Bachelors Degree!

Just shaking my head.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:20 pm
I THINK an environmental science degree is somewhat math-heavy, but not sure. I have a couple friends in that field...they don't make great money. Not terrible, but low for this area at least.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:30 pm
Quote:
Why not go for Sociology? Not a knock on the degree, but it's one of the easier to obtain. CJ is a form of it anyway, and I don't think they're going to have you studying the serial killer profiles too heavily during your Bachelor's.

You raise a very good point there...

My Criminology Class that is upcoming has us studying profiles.

www.crimelibrary.com Try that link out, there are some sick SOB's in this world...lol (Thats one of the reference links that we were given)

Quote:
DON'T go for your law degree. Unless you plan on having a sh!tload of debt with an overly-inflated confidence you're going to get a high paying job, only to find yourself very dissapointed.

I'm already overloaded with debt...on this effort..lol I just want a job that I am well suited for, enjoy...and will make a decent wage...

Good Advice Slappy, Thanks

Quote:
I THINK an environmental science degree is somewhat math-heavy, but not sure. I have a couple friends in that field...they don't make great money. Not terrible, but low for this area at least.

Uggh...I read through some areas on that today...I saw the math, which I hate to no end...lol I may have to take your advice...and go the Sociology path...to avoid it. LOL
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:33 pm
Quote:
I THINK an environmental science degree is somewhat math-heavy, but not sure.

I have a friend that works for EPA, has a degree in Environmental Science...going to have to ask him about the math part of it....
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:33 pm
If you've been bored with your studies and are impatient with things like Latin, stay away from Law. This is one a career that demands the most intense study regimes around. You will be reading and assimilating multiple legal decisions covering hundreds of pages every day, and for every case you study you must memorize formulistic rules derived from those cases. You will be required to write clear, concise briefs for every case you study. The Law is a beautiful thing, the very foundation of our social order, but it is a demanding mistress ... unless you aspire to be nothing more than a hack. In the whole of the profession there are about the same percentage of stars as there are basketball players to NBA first string players. It can be rewarding in both cash and satisfaction, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

I attended law school, and have an MBA with emphasis on Criminal Justice. I worked for a grant funded outfit designed to reduce gang membership and violence in one of L.A. County's warzones. I worked at the heart of the third largest police department in L.A. County designing police policies and systems. I know a bit about the Criminal Justice System. I generally advise against young people getting AAs or BAs in Criminal Justice. Careers are difficult for non-sworn personnel working within Police or Correction agencies. I went 12 years as a vital part of the system, but received no promotions. I got great fitness reports and more citations for excellence than I could afford to frame, but in the end the rank and pay always went to those who came up from field operations. If you want any sort of career related to law enforcement, you need to be ready to go out and work in Patrol Units for at least a few years. Most LASO officers have to work in the County Jail for several years before even going out on Patrol. Its the best job in the world, and I would have swapped my "professional status" and hob-nobbing with the chiefs to work permanent Grave Yard shift. I loved it, but most of the civilians didn't last very long and are never really accepted because they haven't any field time.

Your best bet might be in the Judicial System, but even there law school graduates will be your competition for many of the better jobs.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:05 pm
Asherman, I truly appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

I have been bored with my studies somewhat, and very impatient with the latin terms, even with it reigning in at an AACJ, its been very dominating with my time.

One discussion question alone can trigger 3-4 hours of study, just to answer it properly. Which I don't mind spending that time studying...I'm just trying to be realistic here...

Quote:
you must memorize formulistic rules derived from those cases.

Already enduring alot of that....

Quote:
The Law is a beautiful thing, the very foundation of our social order

Thats the part that I love about it. I even love the history behind it.........

The other part, that brought me to want to achieve this degree, is I see so many areas in our judicial system that need improved drastically, things I dislike wholeheartedly...and someone, somewhere needs to change these faulty areas.

There are to many loop holes in our criminal justice system that allow criminals to walk our streets with a slap on the wrist. I'm sick of that....

I'm sick of watching juveniles get off with writing a theme, to run home to momma; who writes it. Lets start fining these parents that have "repeat offenders" in the home, lets give them some community service right along side of the youth, they'd pull the reins in on these kids, instead of throwing their hands up and saying, "I can't do nothing with them."

We need more programs.........that rehabilitate, and teach youths socialization skills, and self-respect.

Prisons...lol, I don't even need to get started on that topic, I'd be here all night.

I believe in a swift, harsh punishment, not riding the fence for years to come, due to one appeal after the other. And in the meantime, they've received and education, medication, shelter, therapy, clothing, they are fed...have vistiations, a library, recreation....all at my cost!

While we have homeless on our streets that have fought for this country...sitting hungry and cold.

Thats what drew me to going after a CJ Degree......wanting to see a change, improvements made........that lead to a difference somewhere in the future, and maybe in someone's life.

Unrealistic...maybe? I have held strong to those opinions for years....

Quote:
I attended law school, and have an MBA with emphasis on Criminal Justice. I worked for a grant funded outfit designed to reduce gang membership and violence in one of L.A. County's warzones. I worked at the heart of the third largest police department in L.A. County designing police policies and systems. I know a bit about the Criminal Justice System. I generally advise against young people getting AAs or BAs in Criminal Justice. Careers are difficult for non-sworn personnel working within Police or Correction agencies. I went 12 years as a vital part of the system, but received no promotions. I got great fitness reports and more citations for excellence than I could afford to frame, but in the end the rank and pay always went to those who came up from field operations. If you want any sort of career related to law enforcement, you need to be ready to go out and work in Patrol Units for at least a few years. Most LASO officers have to work in the County Jail for several years before even going out on Patrol. Its the best job in the world, and I would have swapped my "professional status" and hob-nobbing with the chiefs to work permanent Grave Yard shift. I loved it, but most of the civilians didn't last very long and are never really accepted because they haven't any field time.

Very Impressive Asherman....Very!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:49 pm
Changing the legal system is a slow, slow process. And, it is intended to be slow and resistent to fashion. There is an eternal struggle between swith harsh punishment, and the idea that criminals are only wayward individuals who can be rehabitulized. For a while the security of society is dominant, and then our compassion and desire to be humane will be in ascendance. The law itself remains majestic and only departs from stare descisis long after public attitudes have clearly changed.

The Law and Constitution are demanding, and the pay isn't really all that great for most attorneys. If you want to make the big buckeroos, join a large corporation in some executive capacity. Government service is steady work but individual effort rarely comes to much, beyond a moderate pension that you can rely upon.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:33 pm
Asherman, your about to talk me into just sticking with my CJ degree..lol

I didn't get into CJ to make big bucks, fame, or because I watched a tv show that deflates reality.

Quote:
And, it is intended to be slow and resistent to fashion. There is an eternal struggle between swith harsh punishment, and the idea that criminals are only wayward individuals who can be rehabitulized.

See, this is where I straddle the fence and get caught. I feel that some have the ability to be rehabilitated, others...lets just burn them at the stake and get it over with.

Quote:
Government service is steady work but individual effort rarely comes to much, beyond a moderate pension that you can rely upon.

Thats all I was expecting, a steady work load, with reasonable pay that doesn't inflict a self-starvation diet because I can't make ends meet...along with my husband's check.

I keep swinging back to our juveniles. Like you said, changing our legal system is slow...but it takes someone willing to push the envelope a bit to get a change made somewhere. If these juveniles had the correct contact made in their first initial run in with the law, their outlook could be different. Instead, we have people that are burnt out from seeing it, and run them through a mill like cattle, they are sorted out for what they can be, but for what they have done.

I'm an optimistic with a hard head Asherman....lol
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:21 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Asherman, your about to talk me into just sticking with my CJ degree..lol

I have a number of friends who are in vaguely similar situations--they find themselves bouncing from academic program to academic program because they have some initial interest but eventually encounter some aspect of the program--like "core" courses that are required but not necessarily related to their ultimate aspirations--that bores them and drives them away.

I don't know how similar your case is, of course, but (as a jaded academic myself!) I usually advise these friends that every field is going to have some boring aspect, and that there's little use in trying to find a degree program where every single course is fun. So I would be inclined to agree with your husband and say stick with it... you sort of "earn" your spurs by putting up with the grunt work. Once the degree is done, you'll have (relatively) more freedom to take it in a specific direction.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:49 am
Shapeless, Thank you for your advice.

I'm thinking about just sticking with it, and getting myself through the boring aspects of it. Quite honestly, I can understand their reasonings behing shoving the Bill of Rights down my throat...lol, and all the this and thats of revisions here and there that have been added.

If I change my mind though..., I believe I'm going to take Slappy's advice and try my hand at Sociology. I done some reading on it and it basically it covers all my bases, especially with a background in CJ, it would work out nicely.

Thank you...........
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
If you want any career at all in Criminal Justice, be prepared to carry the badge and gun out on to the streets.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:25 pm
I just wanted to lend my support to your efforts, mms. I don't have any experience in the field you are interested in, though I can see why you are interested and I hope you make it because you are someone who can affect change. So I can't really offer advice, I just wanted to say good going and good luck, whatever you choose.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:54 pm
Second Freeduck. Choose what you love and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies