Jehovah's Witnesses or not?

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:04 am
What, in the final analysis, is organized religion but a business, a bureaucracy complete with a job protection scheme for its hierarchy?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:06 pm
neologist wrote:
tycoon wrote:
I've never heard of a reason for subscribing to a particular church because of the way they make, or don't make, collections.

Certainly when a collection plate makes its way down the aisle in any denomination, one is free to pass it on without contributing. How could it be any different for JWs? There may be an absence of passing the plate during services--I don't know, I've never attended a JW service--but there must be other organized procedures for extracting cash from the participants.
There is no passing of the plate, no pledging and no exhortations from the podium, hence no pressure.

"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2Corinthians 9:7)

Perhaps there are other religious organizations with similar practices; I had just never seen them.

My church has a wooden box sitting on a table in the back. If you want to give, you put it in the slot on top of the box.

I went to another church for a few years (big, over 3000 members) same thing. No plate passing. It's probably more common than you realize.

The Witnesses tend to be uncomfortable with money and I think some of them tend to regard a paid clergy as somehow corrupt. Not a Biblical view, but it's where they're at. The Bible makes it clear that both Paul and Jesus accepted financial support from believers. So no prob with that.

Quote:
And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance. Luke 8:3

Quote:
Who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem. Mark 15:41

Quote:
I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.
II Cor 11:8
0 Replies