Jehovah's Witnesses or not?

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:57 pm
Wow, Scott, that's a lot of stuff. Do you have a point?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:47 pm
There is a pretty good discussion of Jehovah's Witnesses here. Scott, I haven't time to read all of your posts, but I do appreciate the hard work you must have put forth to gather all that information.

I don't mind answering questions as they come up; but I think most of the folks on this forum would decline to read the volumes it would take to answer all of your charges, as many no doubt have declined to read your magnificent word avalanche.

For now I will leave you with a few reasons why I continued attending meetings after first coming in contact.

No collections,
No rituals,
No idolatry, and
A firm commitment to Jesus' message in John 13:35.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:39 pm
OK. One thing at a time. I had never heard of Beth Sarim:
Scott777ab wrote:
5. Has the society distorted the record of any of its past activities?

* [Note: Beth-Sarim, which means "House of Princes" in the Hebrew language, was a handsome estate built in San Diego in 1930 by the Watchtower Society. Its history is variously represented by the Society.]

* 5A. What was the purpose of the construction of Beth-Sarim?

Beth-Sarim was, according to a recent Society yearbook, built as a home for one of the Society's presidents: "... a direct contribution was made for the purpose of constructing a house in San Diego for Brother Rutherford's use."

1975 Yearbook, p.194
* 5B. Did the Society, at an earlier date, give an entirely different purpose for constructing Beth-Sarim?

Yes. "...the purpose of acquiring that property and building the house was that there might be some tangible proof that there are those on earth today ... who believe that faithful men of old will soon be resurrected by the Lord, be back on earth, and take charge of the visible affairs of earth."

Salvation, p.311
* 5C. Did the Society actually believe that certain resurrected Old Testament saints would come back and live in Beth-Sarim?

Yes.
"...those faithful men of old may be expected back from the dead any day now...in this expectation the house was built... it is now held in trust for the occupancy of those princes on their return."

The New World, p.104
* 5D. Does the deed to the Beth-Sarim property reveal the Society's original purpose for the estate?

Yes.
While it is true that Rutherford was to have "exclusive possession" of the house during his lifetime, it was also true that that possession was to be relinquished upon the soon anticipated arrival of "David," "Joseph," "Samuel," etc. to the earth "for the express purpose of being used by those who are servants of Jehovah God."

Page iii of the deed indicates other Society members could equally make use of the property "until the same be taken possession of by David or some of the other men herein named [from Hebrews chapter eleven] and this property and premises being dedicated to Jehovah and the use of his kingdom it shall be used as such forever."

It is interesting to note that the Society later sold the house.

Deed to Beth-Sarim, Dec. 24, 1929
1975 Yearbook wrote:
Brother Rutherford had a severe case of pneumonia after his release from unjust imprisonment in 1919. Thereafter, he had only one good lung. In the 1920's, under a doctor's treatment, he went to San Diego, California, and the doctor urged him to spend as much time as possible there. From 1929 on, Brother Rutherford spent the winters working at a San Diego residence he had named Beth-Sarim. Beth-Sarim was built with funds that were a direct contribution for that purpose. The deed, which was published in full in "The Golden Age" of March 19, 1930, conveyed this property to J. F. Rutherford and thereafter to the Watch Tower Society.

Concerning Beth-Sarim, the book "Salvation," published in 1939, A few years after Brother Rutherford's death, the board of directors of the Watch Tower Society decided to sell Beth-Sarim. Why? "The Watchtower" of December 15, 1947, explained: "It had fully served its purpose and was now only serving as a monument quite expensive to keep; our faith in the return of the men of old time whom the King Christ Jesus will make princes in ALL the earth (not merely in California) is based, not upon that house Beth-Sarim, but upon God's Word of promise."

Footnote

At the time, it was believed that faithful men of old times, such as Abraham, Joseph, and David, would be resurrected before the end of this system of things and would serve as "princes in all the earth," in fulfillment of Psalm 45:16. This view was adjusted in 1950, when further study of the Scriptures indicated that those earthly forefathers of Jesus Christ would be resurrected after Armageddon.

- 1975 Yearbook page 76
So what you are saying is that long ago someone built a house for the president of the Watchtower Society who had been in poor health and that some of the brothers had a misconception about the resurrection, Then, when they decided they were incorrect, they sold the house. Right?

Well, we never said we were perfect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most churches maintain and multiply residences for their elite?

Oh, sorry for the cut and paste; I'm just following your lead.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:42 pm
Eorl wrote:
... Actually, I could use a lodge like that myself !!

HERE YA GO[/b][/i][/u]
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:54 am
Not trying to run down the hard work done here, but surely if you want a discussion then you post only a few points at a time, the first page seems abit long winded and tbh i couldn't be bothered reading it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:01 am
A cut-and-paste marathon isn't a topic-starter - no discussion sought, just a place to slap up posters, hand out tracts, and spout some particular theology.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:11 am
timberlandko wrote:
Eorl wrote:
... Actually, I could use a lodge like that myself !!

HERE YA GO[/b][/i][/u]
Everybody needs a place. . .
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:21 pm
O I find this so funny NEO. When you are presented with evidence of TRUE FALSEHOOD you just brush it aside. Lovely Just Lovely.

LJL.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:32 pm
neologist wrote:

Yes the Society claims perfection in all it's prophets. I know I used to be a Jehovahs Witnesses you can't tell me otherwise. They claim their PROPHET is perfect when ever HE makes a prophecy about the bible.

neologist wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most churches maintain and multiply residences for their elite?

No they don't or at least not any that I have ever been in, and that would be Baptist, Pentecostal, Mormon, etc. The Baptist pay their preacher a paycheck from the church treassury which is frist used to pay for lights, and properity, he then gets less than normal of what he should be paid if nothing is left or he gets exactly what they agreed to pay him, if more is left it goes into the bank to pay for future expensives of the church. But a Baptist preacher has his own stuff and pays for his own stuff, yes he makes pay for preaching and teaching the flock and so he should. He is the leader and as a member of the church you should support the leader in as much of a way possible for you to do so.

neologist wrote:
Oh, sorry for the cut and paste; I'm just following your lead.

I read all that stuff before I posted. Just to let you know. Never just copy and paste.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
BDV wrote:
Not trying to run down the hard work done here, but surely if you want a discussion then you post only a few points at a time, the first page seems abit long winded and tbh i couldn't be bothered reading it.

Good then you won't be posting here. Thanks.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:38 pm
neologist wrote:

DUDE I just noticed that you CUT a HUGE amount of the ACCUSATIONS out that made the WHOLE POINT of the ACCUSATION.

MAN you are so BRAINWASHED it is not even funny.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:25 pm
Eorl wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Is the Jehovah's Witness religion Christian?

The answer to the question is, "No. It is not Christian." Like all non-Christian cults, the Jehovah's Witness organization distorts the essential doctrines of Christianity........... It is a non-Christian cult.

Is that somehow worse than a Christian cult....or for that matter, any religious group? The same basic principles apply to them all....ever heard of a Catholic hoping their kids would marry a Muslim or a Jew?

I just wanted to ask this question again Scott.

(Timber....thanks for that....I think.....)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:30 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
11. Has the Society ever altered its publications without notice to suit its changing prophecies?

* Yes. Quietly the Society shifts its position when an embarrassing prophecy is made and then remains unfulfilled. For example, a crucial change was made in the 1923 version of Studies in Scriptures in order to bring it into line with the Society's changing prophecies. The earlier version has:

"...the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest..."
* The 1923 version has:

"...must take place very soon after 1914 is manifest..."

etc. . . .
I suppose you would support an organization only if it maintained its teachings even in the face of controverting evidence?

Oh, I forgot, you believe in the trinity and the immortality of the soul, burning hell, and all that.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 09:45 pm
neologist wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
11. Has the Society ever altered its publications without notice to suit its changing prophecies?

* Yes. Quietly the Society shifts its position when an embarrassing prophecy is made and then remains unfulfilled. For example, a crucial change was made in the 1923 version of Studies in Scriptures in order to bring it into line with the Society's changing prophecies. The earlier version has:

"...the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest..."
* The 1923 version has:

"...must take place very soon after 1914 is manifest..."

etc. . . .
I suppose you would support an organization only if it maintained its teachings even in the face of controverting evidence?

Oh, I forgot, you believe in the trinity and the immortality of the soul, burning hell, and all that.

ANd you can not using the bible without twisting words prove that to be false.

The bible says
GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH

SIMPLE
No twisting by me there.

THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THE WORD OF GOD DIVDES THE BODY AND SOUL

Body not the Soul easy simple
No twisting

THe bible says The RICH DIED THEN AWOKE AND WAS IN TORMENT.

Simple hell is real
No twisiting by me again.

ALllllllll that ...... All that what....... You have YET TO PROVE a thing. without twisting words to suit your beliefs.

I just say what the bible says.

GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH>.....
Who was that
JESUS
therefor
JESUS IS GOD.
SIMPLE.
EASY
NO TWISTING OF THE SCRIPTURE BY ME.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:02 pm
I've spent all day drying out my newly washed brain, Scott. I hope this finds you well. Smile

When a person dies:
"His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." (Psalm 144:4)
Why?
"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
[6] Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun."(Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

Not to mention that the consequence of sin told to Adam and Eve mentioned only death. If something worse were in the mix, don't you think it would have been fair for them to be told at that time?

Of course, maybe Jesus was talking of those who were spiritually dead as when he said "Let the dead bury their dead:" (Luke 9:60)
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:36 pm
The Trinty of man directly refered to in the bible.

Here it is.

You ready? Neo?

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Spirit Soul Body.
Each mentioned seperate cause they are seperate.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:43 am
What's a trinty?

Now define spirit, soul and body and we'll get together over coffee.

BTW, don't forget the bible refers to animals as souls.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:10 am
neologist wrote:
For now I will leave you with a few reasons why I continued attending [Jehovah Witnesses'] meetings after first coming in contact.

No collections,
No rituals,
No idolatry, and
A firm commitment to Jesus' message in John 13:35.

I've never heard of a reason for subscribing to a particular church because of the way they make, or don't make, collections.

Certainly when a collection plate makes its way down the aisle in any denomination, one is free to pass it on without contributing. How could it be any different for JWs? There may be an absence of passing the plate during services--I don't know, I've never attended a JW service--but there must be other organized procedures for extracting cash from the participants.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:36 am
tycoon wrote:
I've never heard of a reason for subscribing to a particular church because of the way they make, or don't make, collections.

Certainly when a collection plate makes its way down the aisle in any denomination, one is free to pass it on without contributing. How could it be any different for JWs? There may be an absence of passing the plate during services--I don't know, I've never attended a JW service--but there must be other organized procedures for extracting cash from the participants.
There is no passing of the plate, no pledging and no exhortations from the podium, hence no pressure.

"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2Corinthians 9:7)

Perhaps there are other religious organizations with similar practices; I had just never seen them.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:59 am
neologist wrote:
Perhaps there are other religious organizations with similar practices; I had just never seen them.

The JW's approach to generating cash flow may be low-key as you say, but it is nonetheless still an obligation for its members. That was my only point.

More dear than cash to me though is my free time. Isn't there a strong emphasis from your peers to get suited up on your days off and make the rounds in search of new members?
0 Replies