How do I get tiles to get indoor tiles to stick to Masonite?

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 04:45 pm
Hello-
This may seem a random questions- but here's the situation. I work for a theater company. We are doing an outdoor production of Romeo and Juliet, and thought it would be a lovely touch to tile the stage floor. We ended up using indoor peel and stick tiles, and stuck them on the the masonite of our already constructed stage.

It gets to be a toasty 100 degrees during the day, and the tiles no longer stick to the masonite. The edges of the tiles are beginning to peel up. The tiles are screwed to the masonite in the center, to keep them from coming off completely.

Any suggestions on how to make the tiles stick better, and what products to use?

Thanks!

Aimee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,154 • Replies: 14
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:06 pm
Just a guess here, no practical experience to back it up, but I would imagine a tiling mastic suitable for bathroom and/or swimming pool use might prove satisfactory in that application. Of course, removing tile so affixed is gonna be a major entertainment - airtools and sledgehammers prolly would be in order for that job. A few years back, I helped a buddy re-tile his swimming pool - quite the production; much more than had been anticipated.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:30 pm
I dunno, masonite is one smooth surface, so a tile would be - perhaps - somewhat less inclined than usual to stick to it.

My own instinct is to peel them, and spew some gritty substance on the masonite and then paint. But that all might flake too. The masonite is what throws me.

Hmm, a glued netlike material over it, and then thin set and then tile?

How about a nice deck? Waiting to see what someone else says..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:46 pm
Thinking a little more. People usually use plywood as a substrate for thinset and then tile. Wondering if you can take the stuff up, cover with ply, and so on.

Trouble is, you've dancing going on here, right? They need a safe surface..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:48 pm
Are you talking about vinyl "tiles" instead of ceramic or porcelain or terra cotta tiles?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:50 pm
Just looked, Romeo and Juliet, mebbe not dancing..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:54 pm
There is a reason outdoor tiles are set over concrete...

Off hand, I think you need some local advice from a local licensed contractor.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:06 pm
Another thought here - perhaps "Liquid Nails" brand BC-490 exterior-grade construction adhesive; it sticks just about anything used in the building trades to just about anything else used in the building trades, and it don't let go - but again, removal is gonna be a whole lotta ... uhhhhhh ... "fun", if possible at all.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:18 pm
Peel and stick tiles are generally not a good product to begin with...even when used indoors. It's cheap and quick, but thats what you get....cheap and quick.

If it's merited, and I suppose that would depend on how long the production is going to last, what the appearance of the stage has to be afterwards...etc...on what exactly you want to do.

But offhand I would suggest sticking the tile you have with regular VCT glue. You could probably get away with just dabbing the corners with a paint brush, to keep the edges from curling, and leave the screws in place to actually hold the tile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:20 pm
Yeh. So, the masonite is permanent flooring? Slippery in itself...
I think I'll just be quiet now.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:32 pm
That's one of the things I was wondering about...if the masonite is the permanent floor or not, if not...then I'd glue the whole thing down with vct glue. If so, I would want to keep any glue to a minimum.

Masonite is pretty slick, so it could be cleaned off afterwards, with a little elbow grease and some mineral spirits....well maybe...heh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:06 am
How about some nice Astroturf?
0 Replies

Aimeanna

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
Thank you!
Thank you to all for your suggestions.

Yep- the peel and stick tile was a reaaaaally bad idea- and needless to say, we will never do it again. It looks great on the stage, but indeed, indoor tiles are 'indoor' for a reason.

I'll give all of the suggestions a go- we've got two more weekends in our run, so mostly we're just looking for a way to tide us over.

If we had the time and luxury, we'd peel them up and paint tile shapes. . . Lesson learned!

Anyhow- thank you very much to all of you. This was our first stage construction and your suggestions are all much appreciated and very helpful.

Thanks,

Aimeanna
0 Replies

Aimeanna

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:00 am
ossobuco wrote:
How about some nice Astroturf?

Waa haaa haa!

Yep- historically accurate astroturf!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:04 am
Perhaps with some tapestry-like pattern to it...
0 Replies